67 Woodson boat

smokinbucs

Recruit
I have a 67 Woodson boat that is in great shape. Dual cathedral 18 foot with a 96 EV 140hp outboard. Center console with T-Top and fishing platform up front. I looking for any info on these boats I can get. I couldn't believe this is the first post of one under the Owners groups by manufacture forum. Regardless I like this boat I think it has allot of character kinda like an old 67 RS/SS Camero , Ok well maybe not that much LOL but still. If anyone has any info or sites or has one them selves please post it. Safe boating and tight lines!

Attachments

• 2987inj_20.jpg
    2987inj_20.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 0

mac1223

Recruit
Re: 67 Woodson boat

Hi
i read your post about woodson boats and I recently picked up I believe a 1968 I am also trying to find some info about it. the boat has been redone and I have nithing to go buy. if you have had any luck I would appreaciate you getting back to me
thankyou

dtaschner

Recruit

Great to see another woodson boat, I have a 18' duel cathedral split console runabout 1966. Have had it for 26 years, purchased from a man in Charleston, S.C. who said he was only the second owner. The boat is in good shape, it had the original 80hp evinrude on it but stuggled to plain with 4 or more people so I put the tower of power on it 1976 mercury 115 hp. This motor pushes it rather well. I have yet to ride in a bout that takes the water as well as this Woodson, a bit poundy in big chappy water but a very safe feeling boat. I am not a computer person, but if someone is interested I will try to post some pics. The black Woodson emblem that is so familar to me sure looks good on another boat, only the second one I have seen. I have not had much luck finding many details on these boats other than they were made by Woody Woodson in Coral Gables Fla. Later to become Thunderbird Boats.

Over the years I have toyed with selling it and upgrading to a newer boat but something makes me hang on to her. She rally turns the heads when she is cruising the lake, on land some say she is ugly and most are intrigued, and really are impressed with her condition. I see this post has some age on it hope there is still interest.

dtaschner

Recruit

Great to see another woodson boat, I have a 18' duel cathedral split console runabout 1966. Have had it for 26 years, purchased from a man in Charleston, S.C. who said he was only the second owner. The boat is in good shape, it had the original 80hp evinrude on it but stuggled to plain with 4 or more people so I put the tower of power on it 1976 mercury 115 hp. This motor pushes it rather well. I have yet to ride in a bout that takes the water as well as this Woodson, a bit poundy in big chappy water but a very safe feeling boat. I am not a computer person, but if someone is interested I will try to post some pics. The black Woodson emblem that is so familar to me sure looks good on another boat, only the second one I have seen. I have not had much luck finding many details on these boats other than they were made by Woody Woodson in Coral Gables Fla. Later to become Thunderbird Boats.

Over the years I have toyed with selling it and upgrading to a newer boat but something makes me hang on to her. She rally turns the heads when she is cruising the lake, on land some say she is ugly and most are intrigued, and really are impressed with her condition. I see this post has some age on it hope there is still interest.

CarolC

Recruit

Actually the Woodson Boats with the dual cathedral hull came after Thunderbird. Woody lost Thunderbird company to his ex-wife in the divorce settlement. He started Woodson Boats in Coral Gables right behind Deel Ford off Ponce. I was married to his wife Pat's brother. The company did very well for a long time, but many things were happening to Woody. Pat became very ill, Woody had tax issues and he moved the entire company to Barbados. Shortly after moving there, he was diagnosed with cancer himself and he died there. Pat died shortly before or after him in South Miami (sorry, I can't remember the timeline, it was back in 1970). His boats are classics that's for sure. You are lucky to have one! Woody would pay a fortune to build the mold for his boat only to have a rival boat building simply buy one of his boats (which was much, much less expensive than building the mold) and extend a railing or embellishment an inch here or there which would void the original patent. That's why he moved it all to Barbados, because it was much cheaper to live there. But once he became so ill, there was no one to continue the work.

It's nice to know that people still have an appreciation for his craftsmanship. He was an incredible guy, that's for sure!