1986 Winner zz880/Suzuki DT 140 queries

weirdpuckett

Cadet
My sister "inherited" this boat through an eviction of one of her properties....Knowing me and my boys fish(from the shore) she wants me to check out the boat to see if I would be interested in either buying it or making it ready to buy...I know very little about boats....but I have always wanted one....
So I found this forum and wish to get some idea of where this boat is at and how much money it would take for me to perhaps use it..
The boat was full of leaves/pine needles
The seats are all cracked and wood suffers a bit
It has a console with faded panel barely legible wordings
It has a Suzuki 140 on back with trim hydraulics a big plastic fuel tank( looks like 40 gallons)which has a "patch" where somebody put a hole in the side of it....

The engine looks like it leaks nothing , but I don't know how to check if it even runs ad I have heard that you aren't supposed to run engine unless its submerged in water...
I took spark plugs out - 1 and 2 were clean as if new and 3 and 4 smelled like fuel and weren't fouled...
First things first....I would like to know how to get this thing running/ started and what I should know about the other fluids etc...
Should I drain out/ change before attempting to start?
Is this engine the stock engine for the 1986 winner zz880?. Any help on this would be appreciate it...the more I am around the boat, the more appealing the idea of blasting across a big reservoir becomes.....just say in'.....

MikDee

Banned
Re: 1986 Winner zz880/Suzuki DT 140 queries

This post is nothing without Pix! :)

1st) I would take out the plugs, shoot some light weight oil in each cylinder, and try to turn the motor over by hand, or with the starter, to make sure it's not "Siezed" (If you could get your tilt working before this, and the motor on an angle it would be better.)

2) you can look in the boat for, or buy "rubber ear muffs" reasonably to put over the lower unit, & run the motor off the hose, at low speeds.

3) I would get some fresh Reg 87 gas (preferably with some ethanol) as it has a tendency to clean up old crap in the gas, to burn out.

4) You need to know, if it is a 2-cycle engine, or a 4-cycle engine? If 2-cycle does it have oil injection, a resevior for oil, or if you need to mix oil with the gas? If oil injected, you must use special 2cycle oil

5) If it's a 4cycle engine, you need to check the oil level, just like in your car.

6) I would then charge up your battery good, put the earmuffs on, turn on the water, and try to get it running.

You want to run it as is, to disturb, & flush out whatever rust, or gunk, thats in the motor, and see if there's any minor leaks that seal themselves up. Once you get the engine running good, then do your filter changes, tune up, oil changes, & grease jobs.

Getting late now, To be continued,

MikDee

Banned

Okay, actually as I think about it, one of the 1st things to do here is get rid of any old gas, and if there are any drain valves, or carb drain screws on the motor, open these. Next find the gas filter, and clean it out, or replace it. Then check your power trim fluid level, and get your power trim working. These items really need to be done before anything else.

By the way, how big is the boat? The zz880 means nothing to me? With more info, & pix, we should be able to determine top speed.

weirdpuckett

Cadet

Okay, actually as I think about it, one of the 1st things to do here is get rid of any old gas, and if there are any drain valves, or carb drain screws on the motor, open these. Next find the gas filter, and clean it out, or replace it. Then check your power trim fluid level, and get your power trim working. These items really need to be done before anything else.

By the way, how big is the boat? The zz880 means nothing to me? With more info, & pix, we should be able to determine top speed.
How do I post pix?...Would be glad to...yes, I have ordered a service manual for this boat motor ...the boat is 16' long the trim works great...the flywheel is not covered, (?) Its a Suzuki DT 140 two stroke 4carb, with oil tank- it looks as there are indeed little grey injectors that pinwheel out of what looks like an oil pump(looks like an starfish or octopus)
I just found that the fuel pump has little hammer marks on the casing....wow.........I think the boat is happy to be free from its former owner.......thanks for responding! I was expecting to get some sort of email alert when a reply took place....just happened to check....

weirdpuckett

Cadet

I see where we upload pix....problem is, I only have s smart phone and it doesn't allow in its editing, for resizing......I find this odd....may bee overlooking a way somehow....keep trying...