1970's WInner 17-18 ft open bow w/walk through, questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

todngo

Recruit
Hi all,

I am new to this forum & loved to see there was a place I can finally pose a question to knowlegable people about this brand. I was born in 1970 and sometime before I was 7 years old my parent bought a brand new WInner boat with a modified Deep V hull, was 17-18 feet long, was I think a hull developed for the US Coastguard or Navy. From what my father told me when he was alive is that there were very few brought to the West coast and even fewer sold. To date it's still of of the absolute best riding V-hulls I've ever been in and am anxious to get more info on & hopefully find a used one. I specified the size, it also seated 6 people, was an open bow with a walk through design to the bow and had what I still call amazing ride qualities & smoothness is small or moderate chop. Does anyone have any info on what this model might have been called or labeled? Anyone know of whom might own the rights to that hull now or where I could procure a new hull or find a used one to refurbish? Thanks a million in advance gang!

I long to have the same boat for my family as my father had for mine when I was young. I've ridden in likely over a dozen sub 20 footers and NONE had the ride quality of the really deep V the Winner had.

gspig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1970's WInner 17-18 ft open bow w/walk through, questions

There is not a lot of information to be had on Winner models. Here is what I pulled from NADA for 1971.
2204 VISCOUNT - 21' 2204 VISCOUNT MARK II - 22'
2307 MONTAUK 23 - 23' 2309 WINNER HARDTOP 23 - 23'
2310 WINNER FLYBRIDGE 23 - 23' 2312 WINNER FM/SL 23 - 23'
515 PIRANHA I - 14' 516 PIRANHA II - 14'
612 COBRA - 15' 614 TIKI - 15'
721 GTX-165 - 16' 728 MARAUDER - 16'
740 ELIMINATOR - 17' 740 ELIMINATOR - 17'
777 BIMINI - 17' 777 BIMINI - 17'
808 WILDCAT I - 17' 808 WILDCAT I - 18'
809 WILDCAT II - 18' 909 MINIKAI - 18'
909 MINIKAI - 18' 954 COUGAR - 19'
954 COUGAR - 19' 973 BARONET MARK IV - 18'
973 BARONET MARK IV - 18'
Models on the left are outboards, models on the right are sterndrive.

cvueguy

Recruit

Hi CPO
Re:gastank
Can you tell me how far from the door edge your metal strips are?
I would like to be able to cut the deck along the centre of that stringer & need to know the width of the stringer too.

On another topic: Wipers!
I cannot find the switch for the windshield wipers. Since its not labelled on the console, I was thinking the "acc" rocker switch (checked fuse) would be it, but not the case. Where is the wiper switch on yours?
Thanks

argos

Recruit

Hi, Todngo.
I hope you've had some success tracking down more info on the boat you're looking for. A few years ago I bought a 1971 Winner 17'. It's still in storage for the winter (can't wait to get it out again) but I think it's the 777 Bimini. It is an open bow with a three pane window that opens in the middle to walk through from the bow to cabin. There's a board that slips into some slots below the window to separate the bow from the main cabin. It seats 6 in the cabin.

I agree with your praise for it. I use it to play on inland lakes and fish with it on Lake Michigan. It works equally well in both places. I don't have any pictures of just the boat currently. When I get to it in a few weeks I'll post one to see if it is the boat you're looking for.

As you've heard from other posts, there is almost no information available on winner boats. A few adds and flyers are about all I've seen.

Kevin W

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the Hull style you are talking about is called Quadra lift.
I have an older Winner Tiki that has it and it is a great hull.

Good luck finding any literature on Winners though.
I am starting to think they did not print any.

novakjf

Recruit

I just picked this up as a project, it is far more solid than I expected.

It is a 1970 Winner, I have not been able to determine model since so little info is out there.

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 0
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0

captain joe

Cadet

i just bought that same model in white/red.

dodgefate

Cadet

I just bought the same boat mine stil has the badges and its a quadra force

boat rat

Recruit

Howdy all!!.. I just read this forum and thought I should start here. I just picked up a freebie It is a 18' Winner quadra lift closed bow open. I have no idea what model it is. And there is not much information out there. It is is very good shape floors transom and hull. It is 84" with lounge seats and two rear seats outboat well between. They have it registered in NY as 20' 1971. Hull number is 704602 WH it has a quadra lift hull. found this link look on page 112

http://books.google.com/books?id=WCYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA108&lpg=PA11#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Looks like the on in picture

3nc3k93m35O95T35P49b2ebc69a011c151ef3.jpg

3k23mf3l95Tf5Qf5S89b2149f7aca3c281d25.jpg

Well I have a 1977 115hp merc "Tower of power" should do the trick.Have not even gone thru the boat yet. Looks like it will ride nice though.

boat rat

Recruit

Well I ID'ed the boat it is a 18' Winner Cougar

jloving3

Recruit

Not sure if its the same but the boat my wifes grandfather left has a super smooth ride when it isnt too rough and a unique hull. It is a Winner - Cougar and is about 18.5 ft. The only problem with the way the hull is shaped is that it is a pain in the butt to trailer. Good luck hunting, this one is not for sale the wifes family loves it and we are in process of fixing it up but maybe this info can help.

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I own a 1974 Winner Cougar with a 1974 Chrysler 135 hp outboard. It was well cared for and well used by the look of the carpet. The carpet is almost completely worn through between the seats and in the back. The floors and transom are solid. Some have said that there is no wood in the boat but that is not true. There is some patent info on the internet at this link. http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3663976.pdf The patent info states the there is wood in the floors. There is also wood in the gunnels and transom. What ever they used to seal the wood must have been awesome becasue there isn't any rot anywhere. Very interesting to read the patent info. I can not find the link but I read somewhere that the Quadr-Lift hull was designed to "plane" at different speeds. Up to 10 MPH it stays on the first hull plane at 20 MPH it planes at the second hull plane and above that speed it mostly uses the center plane. That is exactly how it feels on the water. It "planes" at about 20 MPH. Trimming the motor has very little effect. The bow rise is minimal even with a strong hole shot. Until I knew about the hull design it felt weird because I was used to big bow raises with most boats I have been on. The air filled flotation bottles take some getting used to while rigging this boat. When adding things like rod holders, cleats, etc you need to check to be sure you are drilling into one of the bottles. They are not only in the floor but also in the gunnels and the bow. So far I am happy with the boat. One person said the boat is tricky to load on the trailer and he is right. I have a Galkins trailer that looks very well designed. I was dunking it too far into the water. Now I only just barely dunk the first rollers and now it works MUCH better. Apparently that is a common mistake. When I can figure out how to make my pictures smaller I will post something. The overall interior design is kind of ugly so I'm modifying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.