Wellcraft V-20 Step Lift Anything I Should Know About?

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm looking at buying a Wellcraft V 20 that I've had my eye on. I don't know what year it is and its basically a boat and trailer. The owner is not selling the motor or controls. I have a 1985 Yamaha 200hp outboard I can put on it. I am waiting to get in touch with him for more details. My question is, was there anything quirky about this model of boat I should be wary of? I did a search on the forum for Wellcraft V-20 and did not find much. One or two posts about weak transoms because of poor construction that allowed water to seep in and weaken the plywood underneath. This thing is being given away fairly cheap so I'm a little skeptical that it is a diamond in the rough. Sounds more like something that is a hindrance to the seller.

Is it called a V 20 because it's 20' in length or can they be all different sizes? The current motor on it is a 150hp Evinrude.

Thanks in advance for comments.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just realized there is a duplicate post to this one. Moderator feel free to delete this if necessary. My question is not specific to a year as I don't know the year this boat was made yet.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay I just went to a few other sites and I'm reading stuff about the V-20 being a horrible ride in anything but calm seas. A two foot chop or more and you're hanging on for dear life, they are dangerous in a following sea, stick to the bays only, stuff like that. I'd be using this thing in the LI Sound. No ocean going for me. That said, the sound can get choppy on a windy day for sure. Has anyone heard or experienced this kind of negative ride? There are plenty of positive posts out there from people who owned many of them and loved every single one. But more than two or three of the same negative posts has me wondering.