Wellcraft Eclipse 216 Prop size advice!

Tonkatoytaco

Cadet
Alright guys I need some help. I hava a 1992 Wellcraft eclipse 216, which has a cuddy, also has the 350 mag wiith an alpha one. I believe it has 260-300hp, empty weight is 3300. That being said I bought this from someone a few months ago, the guy was running a aluminum 15 inch dia. with 17pitch prop. Came out of the water pretty good topped out around 45mph at 4600rpms. Well then while in shallow water I hit a log and bent it just a hair but enough to give a little vibration so I went looking for another prop. Found a mechanic that pretty much loaned me one to see if I would like it. He said the dia of the one I had was to big for that boat so he gave me a 14.25 inch dia with a 19 pitch prop. So I put it on and played a little. Doesnt seem to wanna come out of the water as quick as it did before. Top Speed is around the same but only running 4200rpms. So IDK what to do and I want some advice or help in what size and pitch prop to get. Somewhat new to boats so any help would be great. I want more acceleration then top end, I plan on using the boat to ski and tube behind but i dont wanna loose tooo much of my top end. I like my 45mph top speed. Anyone have any suggestions?

bekosh

Lieutenant
Re: Wellcraft Eclipse 216 Prop size advice!

You would probably have better luck posting this in the Prop Questions and Topics forum.

For what it's worth, when I had an Eclipse, it seemed to do better with a larger diameter prop. My Eclipse had a 454 w/bravo 1 and the best performance was with a Mercury Mirage Plus 14 3/4x21p stainless prop (4800rpms, 59mph).

Tonkatoytaco

Cadet

Thank you for the advice on putting it in the prop thread. And I was told it comes stock with a 21 pitch prop and it didnt get out of the whole to good. Ur eclipse had a bit more HP then mine with that 454 (which I wish I had lol). I was told that the 15 inch prop that was on it was to big for that motor.

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have a 90 eclipse 216 but i have 5.0 (305 chevy) merc. thats puts out 200hp, i have the same prob as you (15' dia and 17 pitch). im doing 42 at about 4600 rpm. i love my prob. i tried a 19p 14.25 dia from my old boat and it just bogged it down. to me i would think that with you haveing 60hp more you would want the 19p prop but in the end you have to get what works with the boat.

imo i would maybe suspect your are loosing hp some how, maybe its time for a tune up??

Slip Away

Lieutenant

For watersports, you will find a 4 blade will get you the hole shot you want. For your boat, I would suggest a Vortex 14 x 20 Aluminum 4-blade. Part # is 992204.

Tonkatoytaco

Cadet

What does a "tune up" consist of?
Can I ask you why you think I should go with a 20pitch prop? Im kinda prop dump lol.
BTW I did purchase a 4 blade 14.5X17 prop made by turning point. And I also installed smart tab trim tabs. I got the lift I want thats for sure and if im on plane and go WOT I have great acceleration. And i only lost around 4mph (which I am ok with).