Wellcraft Boats. Good?Bad? Thoughts?

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the general opionion of Wellcraft? I just bought a 1996 26 Excel Se. Power pack is a 7.4 w/ bravo 2. Not much mentioned on this sight about them. Any opinions on construction,fit and finish ect.

Thanks Steve

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Wellcraft Boats. Good?Bad? Thoughts?

There hull's are amoung the best ever made for sea worthyness, not to spectaclar in eye candy in the under 200,000 price. But i doubt you find a boat that take's on heavy sea's or goe's as fast in it's class for the same money

F_R

Supreme Mariner

They must be OK. They have sold about a jillion of them and have weathered all the recessions that killed off most of the other old brands.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

must be good, say and older one in the place i buy my parts locally. it was getting 2 new 200 hp Etecs. for that kind of money he could have bought a new boat.

dbaggette

Cadet

I bought a well cared for 1990 216 Ecipse w 5.7L Mercruiser/Alpha One. I have been extremely pleased. For a 18 year old boat, the lines look great. I've seen much newer boats on our lake that look much older. It's pretty heavy and takes the chop very vell. Enjoy!

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I have a 1987 23" Wellcraft CC. If anything it is overbuilt. To give you an idea, the sides of the console are 1/4" glass, 3/4" ply, and another 1/4" glass. It is the best riding boat of it's size that I have been on. I bought the rig in 1994. I did have the transom redone about 5 years ago but that was due to lack of a good sealer when the engines were mounted.

DSCF00081.jpg

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had kind of the same thought. My 26 excel se has 1/4 in glass and 3/4 ply on the sides, seems like a well built boat, but I didnt know because it doesnt seem like you hear about the excel se model much.

Thanks Steve.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I looked into Wellcrafts when I was shopping used last year - basically they are tanks. Well-built, on the heavy side, take chop well and if cared for last forever. You do need plenty of power because of the weight and design is more for comfort, durability rather than raw speed.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I have owned several wellcrafts now and other than being unusually heavy for a given size compared to other boats, as stated before, I would not hesitate to buy another or recommend somebody else to buy one. They are exceptionally well-built and very sturdy. Fit and finish can be lacking sometimes and you usually don't get all the bells and whistles of some of the other brands, but if you want a boat that will take a real pounding and last a lifetime, there are only three brands I can think of in the trailer boat range, Grady White, Wellcraft or Boston Whaler. Just my opinion, of course and I'm sure others will disagree.
--
Stan

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats exactly what I was hoping to hear. I am new to big boats and just bought a 1996 wellcraft excel se. I wanted to buy a good sturdy boat first time out so I wouldnt have a bunch of headaches later.

Thanks Steve

bekosh

Lieutenant

Count me as another happy Wellcraft owner. Bought my 91 216XL Eclipse w/7.4l Bravo1 this spring and ran the he!! out of her this year. Over 1100 miles.
Definiatly a heavy, well built boat, but with a 7.4l she'll move! 57.5mph GPS. :cool:

Flyby.jpg

Fremont9-1-07013.jpg

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent!! So the 7.4 must be a very reliable power plant. I am feeling much better about my purchase!!

bossa nova

Recruit

I had also been shopping the used markets for the last year (loads of crap out there! Oh the horror stories.....) after getting cold feet on buying a new cruiser - too much money for an early life crisis - so I found a Wellcraft Nova 23 and fell in love with it the moment I seen it. After two weeks of solid elbow grease she is a real head turner! I have to replace pins/bushings as I have some slop in my steering (boat is a '91) and I can't really complain about that because its age-related. I boat on a big river - rought water and this boat handles great. I love it and despite my dad wanting to upgrade to something bigger, I'm keeping this boat! Good lines, good layout.... Looks better than a lot of boats its size that are out there......

Jimdsi

Cadet

I bought a brand new Excel 23F walkaround in 1995. I get the idea that Wellcraft bought out a small startup manufacturer to expand their low end line of inexpensive boats. My boat has some design problems that an experienced builder like Wellcraft would never have made. Fishbox drains that are higher than the bottom of the fishbox, so they don't drain completely. Stress cracks in the fiberglass after only a few seasons. Fishbox covers that also started cracking after a few years of people walking on them. They will eventually fail completely and need to be replaced ($$$). Inaccessable pumps and hardware under the deck. Chinsy, thin moulded plastic used on the built in rod holders and speaker /storage compartments.

I wouldn't say I'm disgusted with this boat, but I'm not very impressed either. Next time, I'll buy the Proline.

GatorMike

Ensign

I'm not real happy with my 99 19'cc. I can't complain with the hull it seem plenty sturdy but the boat isn't much of a fishing boat. I had an 89 20' Proline I traded in on my Wellcraft and outside of looks the Wellcraft has nothing on the Proline. The proline was laid out better, was much bigger-more than just the extra foot and had much better seating. It was a better shallow water boat and I liked the way it handled the ocean better too. I get the idea Wellcraft took an existing hull design and put in a center console then called it a fishing boat where the old proline was designed for fishing. I've owned 3 Wellcrafts, 1 Proline and a Robalo. The Proline and the Robalo to me were more suited to my uses.

Chris Hyde

Seaman Apprentice

Here is my 1992 Eclipse 186XL. It is probably the best built boat I have ever owned. I just got finished putting new graphics on it and it is getting a new bimini top and tower this week. All old graphics were peeled and cleaned and all new teal and black graphics applied.

Before:
DSC04764.jpg

After:
DSC05034.jpg

DSC05037.jpg

...and the new name! :D

DSC05040.jpg

:D

allaboutheu22

Seaman Apprentice

my dad bought a wellcraft in florida about 1985. the boat itself is a 1982. it is currently at my lake house at NY by lake george. it sits in the driveway all winter through 5 degree weather and snow. the thing still runs great. i'd say it is a pretty good hull

northendbob

Cadet

I like my 180 CC, it may be a 1989 model but my neighbors want to go out in mine. One guy has a 20' Hydra Sport and the other a 18' Whaler. We all pitch in for fuel and ride my little pony. I love my little Wellcraft.

Majormike

Recruit

Steve,
I've got a 1998 Wellcraft 260SE w/5.7 Duoprop. Only owned it a few months, but already noted some construction issues. Some hoses appear to be too stiff (drain, etc) and over time have become brittle. Mfr also seemed to try and get hoses to turn too sharply, and over time they kinked, and either clogged or ruptured. But that's maintenance stuff that's almost expected anyway. I've got a fuel tank vent that may be clogged; at least it is difficult to fuel without a few drops coming out the vent periodically. One problem I've noted is the lack of a chain dog or other device to hold the anchor in the pulpit. The previous owner's answer - and mine so far - is to hook the anchor chain on the bow cleat and secure it with light rope.
Handling is good, but the bow seems to wander at low speed, especially if the outdrive is trimmed up at all. I've dropped a couple thousand dollars in the engine, but that may result from lack of use by the previous owner. Believe it or not though, I like the boat a lot.
Mike