Where do I even begin to look

Mantis Shrimp

Recruit
Hello all,
I'd appreciate any and all info I can get. I just bought a 1989 Wellcraft Gran Sport 3400 and I am unsure what I got myself into.

1) where is the stern light on this vessel?
2) where can I get a complete guage set that I can just use existing cables wires etc
3) what kind of head do I need does it work off the water pump or is a head with a pump etc good to go?
4) where is the stereo supposed to be located?

I will start with these and hope to get a response I am mostly restored but these are questions I just can't find the answers to. Thank you in advance

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome:

After you have 3 posts you can upload some pictures to your posts. You will need to reduce them to about 640 x 480 size. first.

The stern light may be on the radar arch, but keep in mind that it may have been removed.

You can buy gauge sets from the companies that make marine gauges. You will need to figure our what brand of gauges were installed originally. Post some pictures of the gauges and also look for any markings on the front or rear of the gauges.

As far as the head. is the current one missing or just inoperable? You can replace it with the pump style, if that is what it had originally. The vacu-flush style will probably not be 'plug 'n play'

The stereo would be in the cabin somewhere, usually where the main switch panel is located.

Tell us more about the boat and how it came to be yours :)

Mantis Shrimp

Recruit
Thank you so much, the boat was a trade for a custom riffle that was worth about 12k it has great engines needs some TLC but over all I came out ahead.

The head in the boat is already automatic but no longer works. I just don't know if it works off the water pump or the pump on the head.

All I have is a bimminy no tower and I can't find a place for the stern light.

My last boat was a 44 foot sea ray and that's been a few years. For some reason I feel like a newbie even though I was raised on a sport fisher.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

not sure you came out ahead with a 29 year old boat missing pieces.

you will want to check for rot in the stringers, bulkheads and transom

check your bimini, many have the stern light on top of them.