New member intro - '01 VIP Vision 1886 SBRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

b18apwr

Cadet
New iboats forum member. Long time lurker. Finally decided to join up. Been boating since I was born (grew up on Kentucky Lake), but finally bought my first boat last August. Had a few PWCs prior to the boat purchase.

The boat:

2001 VIP Vision 1886 SBRC
4.3L Mercruiser I/O 190hp
Unknown brand 3-blade stainless prop (on it when I got it and previous owner wasn't sure of the brand either)
180 hours

Runs great, but has the dreaded 4.3 run on or dieseling, however you want to put it. I hope to remedy that soon. The idle is a bit high @ ~950RPM. I'm hoping bringing that down will help in addition to a general tune up. Only got to put it in the water 3 times before the season ended for a total of 8 hours. Looking forward to warmer weather.

winfan

Seaman Apprentice
Re: New member intro - '01 VIP Vision 1886 SBRC

Welcome aboard and welcome to the VIP forum. It is a little slow in this forum, but as you know great informatin through out the entire site.

CBRep

Cadet

If you mean, when you turn the ignition off the engine trys to stay running for spontaneous combustion... You can replace the spark plugs, but be sure to NOT use platinum based plugs. Platinum is a catalyst to alcohol ( most fuel contains about 10% alcohol). Give that a try and see if it remedies the problem.

b18apwr

Cadet

CBRep,

Yep. That's what I'm talking about. It's still too cold up here in Kentucky to de-winterize, so I haven't started any of my maintenance items yet. I only got to run the boat 3 times since I purchased it. I didn't get to spend much time checking out the situation, but plugs, idle and timing adjustment, and possible a cooler thermostat were on the list. I see you are in Vivian, LA. You wouldn't happen to have anything to do with VIP/Caddo would you? Does CBRep = Caddo Boats rep?

Thanks for the advice.

CBRep

Cadet

Yes, I work for Caddo Manufacturing, LLC. This company is the new builders of VIP, BayStealth and Deckliner boats. I'm not officially in tech support for boats but as a company employee, we are all Representatives of our products. I'm here to try and put a more positive internet presence out there so that maybe we can sell more boats in the long run. And keep my job. :D

conway22

Seaman

b18apwr Welcome!!

I am in Louisville and the owner of a 99 VIP Vision. We get out to Cumberland, Green, and on the Ohio on Sundays. Hope to see you on the lake sometime:p

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

And welcome aboard CBREP,It is great that the VIP boat company is being revived.I love my 1989 vision,it is a real beauty.There are some members with questions regarding trim for their boats,perhaps you can direct them.

teamneon

Cadet

hey im in ky with the same make of boat. Last year i recovered the back hatch but failed to realize the wood needed to be replaced. I am going to have it redone professionally but I need a good picture of the back of it with the colored area as i did mine solid white. Anyone have any decent pix of the back motor cover?

b18apwr

Cadet

See if this will work for you.

Attachments

• 4630_1112438225662_1668104878_266749_340973_n.jpg
    4630_1112438225662_1668104878_266749_340973_n.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 0

teamneon

Cadet

thats awesome...i took pix b4 i recovered it but cant find them. I just had my back seat recovered for $140 and they quoted me 250-300 for the back deck WITH new wood so im not complaining.

b18apwr

Cadet

Where in Kentucky are you? I'll be on Dale Hollow or Barren River Lake this weekend.

teamneon

Cadet

im in paducah....20min from ky lake. We spend alot of time out there during the summer. Got my back deck back...looks good besides the fact that they stitched the VIP a bit tight on one side and its pulling the vinyl...im gonna have em fix it. Anyways...whats the difference in the 1886 vision and the 1886 combo? Im looking for a nice custom fit trailerable cover. Im pretty sure mine is just the vision. It has the 4.3 mercruiser in it.

newseat.jpg

b18apwr

Cadet

I was born and raised in Paducah! Lived there my entire life until I moved to Bowling Green for college. My folks have a spot on Kentucky Lake just south of Murray. The seat turned out great!

From my understanding, the Combo was a fish and ski (where the Combo name comes from). It normally had a trolling motor and live well up front, as well as a removable seat for casting from.

teamneon

Cadet

wow small world. My gf is from murray. They always put in at Wildcat.

I have the dieseling going on lately in my boat. Its 830am im headed out to change the plugs and possibly the oil.
My tach is all over the place and speedo is at 0 at all times so im going to look into that. The speedo has to be electric because i see no pickup under the boat and ive combed the whole thing.

b18apwr

Cadet

The speedo pickup is a pitot tube on the front of the outdrive. It is a SMALL hole on the leading edge of the drive. Mine was clogged with mud and sand when I bought my boat. I used a very small drill bit and my fingers as the drill and just slowly cleared out the pitot orifice. That fixed my speedo. However, you may want to fully tilt the drive up and look up at the under side of it. You'll see the speedo tube coming up from the lower drive. There is a clip that attaches that tube to the lower half of the outdrive. Make sure that clip is seated and locked on the lower feed port.

I corrected my run on condition by adjusting the idle speed down to 650RPM. My idle was around 900RPM and it caused a run on. My timing was dead on, temp was good, plugs good, etc., etc., etc. Hopefully this will help you out.

teamneon

Cadet

Well i found the pickup on the outdrive..thanks...the tube was pulled out of the connector...but i plugged it back in and it still didnt work. So ill take another look at it and see it its clogged...maybe blow into the tube with air?

I changed to a colder plug and its still dieseling. My flippin tach is all jumpy so i have no clue what its idling at lol.

teamneon

Cadet

Well just letting my boat idle for 15-20 after stopping fixed the dieseling problem.
We did have a major malfunction last month...boat jumped out of gear at 3/4 throttle...turned out the driveshaft exploded...$1600 later and another lower unit we are all good :)
Had a great time on the lake for labor day...still dont have a working tach or speedo...im gonna unplug the speedo from the gauge and blow air OUT toward the unplugged in on the lower unit and hope that fixes it.

btw...did i ask if u have a trailerable cover?
im looking at overtons for a nice one but dont have the boat dimensions handy.

teamneon

Cadet
well here we are 5 years later. Boat still giving us lots of lake fun. Most searches for anything VIP vision 1886 come back to this thread. Im trying to source new rocker switch covers. The text is gone from mine. Everything i find on the internet comes up with black switches.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
well here we are 5 years later. Boat still giving us lots of lake fun. Most searches for anything VIP vision 1886 come back to this thread. Im trying to source new rocker switch covers. The text is gone from mine. Everything i find on the internet comes up with black switches.

You hijacked this thread 6 years ago. Enough is enough! Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.