Water in Bilge Area under the starboard Battery?

JohnNJ

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2002 WA with a 150 Mercury, I have noticed several times that I get water in a section of the (Bilge) under the starboard Battery that will not drain to the center area to get pumped out by the bilge pump. The only way to get the water out is to use a wet vac. I did it once at the dock last year and again this week while I was winterizing. I do use the live well and figure it must be coming from that. I have read that the top lip cracks and the water flows into the bilge.

Has anyone else had this problem? I am thinking of adding a separate bilge to this area in the spring.

Thanks

John

slowolf

Cadet
John, I read about this issue a couple years ago and the root of the problem seemed to be where the top of the polyethylene bait well meets the fiberglass deck. There is a gap there that may not be sealed properly. When your bait well is full, and boat is underway, the water sloshes around and can cause leaking into the bilge area. In one case it almost sunk a boat. My solution for my 2052, which has the same bait well setup as your 2002, was based on what others have done and that is to run a bead of 5200 sealant where the two surfaces meet. It's kind of a pain because you have to reach up into the bait well and do it blindly and it's messy. I got a good seal on mine and have had no problems since doing this. Hope this helps

Last edited:

wrangler28

Cadet
Hi John! I encountered this problem. And I have on my 2002 is also not merged into the central area of the water to the bilge pump. Proved to block the holes through which the water is drained. Drain hole in the stringer is closer to the bottom of the transom. He can be reached through the inspection hatch in the recessive or through a hatch where is the battery, but it's more complicated. Tomorrow I will photograph the hole and set up a photo. Water should always be collected in a central area !!! Excuse me for my English))

JohnNJ

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, Is this looking down through the bilge access next to the motor?