Gas smell / tank fittings

JBru

Recruit
OK I did search this problem and didn't quite find what I was looking for so I hope it wasn't right in front of me...

I have a 2000 Trophy 2052 and for the last 6 months of so I could smell gas in the cuddy and when I turned on the heater. It was usual after I filled up so I didn't worry too much as I presumed it was a tank vent somewhere and never had I seen any come out when I pulled the plug.

Just the other day out on a rough one and after the trip pulled the plug and out came about 2 oz of fuel (could have had some water but smelled of fuel). So I started freaking because I didn't want to spent $4,000 on a full tank replacement but after thinking on it overnight (and calming down with a few beers) I figured that if the tank leaked I would have fuel in the bottom of the boat at all times not just after a rough day and sure enough I have discover that the mail line fitting is leaking at the seam. So after that long winded description now my questions:

1) The tank appears to be a polly (not metal) tank. Do I need to do anything to the tank or just screw in new fittings?
2) is there a compound that I should be using on the fittings when I put new ones on to insure a good seal?
3) Is there an easy way to replace the fill lines or do I need to find someone with very long skinny arms to fit through the 8" access port behind the main chair?

Thanks so much in advance.
JBru