2002 (year) Trophy 2002 WA - Need Advice

armycopter

Cadet
Hello, I purchased my trophy about 6 months ago. Its a fantastic boat and I used it a lot this past summer. It is now winterized and in storage until next season. Of course I am going to spend the winter figuring how how to acquire all the things I want for it.

The first modification I plan to do is install a kicker motor. I have been off shore about 12 miles and although my engine runs very well, I am nervous that it could break down. I always try to remain in visual contact with other boats and I do have a marine radio, but a kicker would give me some piece of mind.

Can anyone recommend 1. A suggested HP for the kicker, 2. Long shaft or short shaft? 3. How to mount it.

I plan to buy a used motor but I'm thinking I should get a four stroke just because I could tie into the fuel lines without having to worry about adding 2 stroke oil. (my main motor is a merc 150 OB with oil injection).

Will I be able to tie the kicker into the steering assembly or will I just need to drive the boat from the kicker?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

slowolf

Cadet
Re: 2002 (year) Trophy 2002 WA - Need Advice

Most of the kicker motors I have seen are 15 hp. I have a 10 hp on my 2052 and I have seen them as high as 20, but I think you can go up to 30 depending on the mount. It's a trade off between weight and power. My 10 is heavy but manageable if I want to remove it, which I do if I want to pull a tube for summer fun at the lake. Mine is mounted on a Garelick Motor Bracket which allows the motor to be raised for non operation, or lowered to run. I also have a tie in to the steering on my mercruiser which allows me to steer the kicker with the boat wheel, although I am unable to control the throttle at the helm. The fuel line is tied into the boats fuel system and the electric start is tied into the boats electrical system for starting. Here's a couple pics of my set up...
kicker 2.jpg2013-01-21 13.45.10.jpg

Last edited:

armycopter

Cadet

Thank you so much for the info. It's extremely valuable. Do you have any pics of your setup? Also, did you mount the bracket or have someone else do it? Im wondering what position it is in. Im thinking of the port side of the stern. Thanks again!

armycopter

Cadet

wait never mind, just saw the pics... im a little slow this morning...

slowolf

Cadet

Is that a long shaft you have?

That's what they tell me...lol. As for the motor, I believe it's a standard shaft. When lowered for operation, the prop is at about the same level as the mercruiser prop.

Rellis80

Cadet

Unless you can get on plane. Hull speed is all you are going to do with a kicker approx. 7 mph. I have a yr 2004, model 2002. It has a Yamaha T8 on a solid bracket. It is similar to the one shown above but I have the same main as you. I tie the two motors together with a "steer ez"(SP) bracket. My kicker is tied into the fuel system the same described above and also has electric start and electric tilt. You want the motor mounted high enough to back troll, (if you halibut fish like I do and you don't want to drown it), but low enough that the prop doesn't pop out of the water on the swells. I love my trolling motor because it serves as a backup like you desire and when trolling for salmon, I can go all day on a few gallons of straight gas.

armycopter

Cadet

Unless you can get on plane. Hull speed is all you are going to do with a kicker approx. 7 mph. I have a yr 2004, model 2002. It has a Yamaha T8 on a solid bracket. It is similar to the one shown above but I have the same main as you. I tie the two motors together with a "steer ez"(SP) bracket. My kicker is tied into the fuel system the same described above and also has electric start and electric tilt. You want the motor mounted high enough to back troll, (if you halibut fish like I do and you don't want to drown it), but low enough that the prop doesn't pop out of the water on the swells. I love my trolling motor because it serves as a backup like you desire and when trolling for salmon, I can go all day on a few gallons of straight gas.

Thank you. Do you have any pictures? I have seen the steer ez and will probably go that route. I will also check out the T8 motors. Its funny, I was just talking about this today. I can't wait to get through this winter and back out on the boat. I just got done cleaning about 6" of snow off my driveway and its supposed to continue snowing for another 16 hours.