2005 Trophy 2352 Bow Rail Backing Plate

Byter

Cadet
My port side bow rail heel weld broke off of the base plate. I have to remove the base plate. I know there is a backing plate but I don't know if there are nuts attached to the base plate bolts or are the holes in the base plate threaded? Does anyone have a definite answer? Thanks.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2005 Trophy 2352 Bow Rail Backing Plate

I did rail work on an older boat, and it had a thru bolt and two screws holding the base plates. If you feel around the monkey fur, you'll feel the single nut. I sliced open the monkey fur with a razer. Did my work, then glued the Monkey fur back together.

Here's some pictures

http://baylinerownersclub.org/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=32791

On another matter, I just bought my Alpha 4 15 X 16" prop for my 2352 w/a 5.7. How's yours working out for you?

Byter

Cadet

Craig,

Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately, the stanchion I have to replace is much more aft than any of yours. Well aft of the cabin. Hopefully there are no nuts. I had read another thread somewhere that the base plate is embedded into the glass and has threaded holes. We'll see.

As far as the prop, I love it. It is the perfect size, right in the middle of the WOT RPM range. It improve my time to plane by 4 seconds. The only thing I had to get used to was at minimum throttle (such when you're pulling into your dock). I bet it was 1 -2 MPH faster. Just took a little while to adjust and get used to it. My guess is you will be glad you switched.

Tony

Byter

Cadet

I will answer my own question. There is no backing plate (unless it's under the monkey fur). Each bolt is about 3 inches long with a nut on the backside. The only way I can see them is by taking the rod holder flanges off the cockpit and looking inside. The only way to reach them is with a long ratchet with a long extension. My biggest problem is to weld the bow rail back to the top plate, I have to remove the top plate since the heat from the welder will melt the gel coat. This poses 2 more problems, one, based on the info above, it's really hard to remove the plate; and two, the bow rail is one long tube all the way around the boat! I'd have to remove the whole bow rail or cut it to get it to the welder.

What I think I will do is get an SS bow rail anchor from West Marine and see if I can fit the bow rail end into it. I will tap holes into the top plate and screw the anchor to the plate.

Monterey10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

About the best you could do would be to lift the bad section, have it welded, then drop it back down into place.

As far as fittings, the trick is finding the right angle. You might try: http://marinepartdepot.com/