Bottom and Engine Paint Questions

catalanc

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,
I have a trophy 2052 with a mercruiser 4.3 L, freshwater cooled engine and an alpha 1 outdrive. I am putting her in a slip on the Puget Sound (salt water) this weekend and painting the hull is highly recommended. A local shop has recommended also painting the outdrive. Is this common and/or necessary or am I being sold a bill of goods.

Also, I will probably leave the boat in the water in the summer but pull it onto my trailer in the winter. SO - should I prime the hull first (blister prevention) - one coat - and then two coats of paint? I am getting quotes from $1000 (two coats paint only) to over $4000 (primer plus paint).

I appreciate any advice that you all have ...
carlos

springhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bottom and Engine Paint Questions

Carlos holy crap 1000 to 4000 dollars, you better shop around or do it yourself, I live up north and only paid 400 for my 26 footer with the outdrive and trim tabs painted.
good luck David

Tiki35

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For sure, that's crazy high.

I am on Vancouver Island so we are in basically the same water.
Pull it out every 4 weeks and pressure wash the bottom and you won't have bottom paint at all. I just watched a 30 footer getting pulled up on the trailer yesterday after being moored for 6 weeks, and there was no bottom growth that didn't come off with a pressure washer.

catalanc

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback guys. Here's the deal. It is presently unpainted gelcoat. Been in freshwater for a few months so it needs to be hauled and powerwashed ($275 with "environmental fee"); sand and prep gelcoat ($1000), primer coat ($375 per coat - they recommend two coats); finally paint ($375 per coat - they recommend two coats); tax brings it to about $3000.

wow. two quotes so far, waiting for a third. finally, about $600 to paint the sterndrive. ouch ...