• If this is your first visit to the iboats.com Boating Forums, be sure to check out the FAQ. To post a question or comment, begin by signing up. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Trophy Boats Any Good?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Trophy Boats Any Good?

A neighbor has a 1998 Center Console Trophy Boat for sale, about 21'-23' I would guess, but I will find out. The boat seems to be in very good condition and seems to be very well taken care of. Do Trophy Boats that are 10 years old have a reputation? Good or bad?

Thanks

Re: Are Trophy Boats Any Good?

You need to provide MUCH more info such as what kind of engine, hrs, options,etc. At least, exact model code. Even more so than the age of the boat, how it has been maintained, not just exterior but internal stuff as well, is a key to the reliability of the boat/engine.
    2004 Trophy 1802WA 115 HP EFI 4-Cyl

Comment

as far as the 2359 WA models.........NO
      sigpic

Comment

It's a model 2503 and has a Mercury Saltwater Series 225hp efi four stroke motor. The motor sits outside the boat on it's own platform. Boat appears to be in mint condition and was only ever used in freshwater. No hours meter on motor, but very clean and starts right up running clean and quiet with immediate cooling water coming out in a strong stream.

Comment

Sounds like the boat is in a real good condition. The EFI 4-stroke 4-cylinder engine is almost bulletproof in my experience. Check the prop and skeg for any sign of damage/wear. Test drive and see if you like it. Post some pics if you can. How much is he asking?

Comment

I made a mistake. It's a Mercury 225hp EFI Oil Injected 2 Stroke. The EFI Saltwater Series on the side of it confused me I guess. My understanding is that these are also pretty bulletproof. The boat honestly looks like it could be brand new. It has alsways been stored inside and has always been in freshwater. Heck, even the dual axel trailor looks new. Boat has a 150 gallon fuel tank (approx) and I know the boat can hit 50 mph or darned close on flat water. I wonder how quick it eats fuel?

Comment

I had a similar FICHT digital fuel injected 2-stroke engine on my now-gone boat and it gave me some engine related issues. The injectors they use is an extreme high pressure type, upto 2400 psi, using electromagnetic coil. That draws high amperage and the controller or ECU (that operates the injectors) would occasionally burn up, very expensive replacement cost. Maybe OptiMax from Mercury is much more reliable than the FICHT system. The fuel economy of digitally injected 2-stroke is comparable to that of 4-stroke engine with the advantage of being simple (mecanical wise) and light weight. The smoke issue is there but much less, about 70%, than the carbureted 2-stroke of same size engine. But obviously still not as clean as 4-strokers, 1 or 2 stars vs. 3 stars on emission rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Epitome View Post
                A neighbor has a 1998 Center Console Trophy Boat for sale, about 21'-23' I would guess, but I will find out. The boat seems to be in very good condition and seems to be very well taken care of. Do Trophy Boats that are 10 years old have a reputation? Good or bad?

Thanks
                Could be a pretty decent boat if it's looking that mint. How much is the million dollar question.??
                EdF
                2003 Trophy2002
                135hp optimax
                Ghost Chaser

Comment

Originally posted by lyle View Post
                  as far as the 2359 WA models.........NO
                  Bad experience? What happened to your 2359?

Or what have you heard?

?
                  EdF
                  2003 Trophy2002
                  135hp optimax
                  Ghost Chaser

Comment

Why are you still asking....buy it!
                    Roy R
                    Sunesta 224, 2008

Weather forecasts are horoscopes with numbers....

Comment

Bought the boat It seems to be in almost new condition. 27' long Trophy model 2503, Mercury 225hp EFI two stroke, T-Top, 2 Mercury four stroke 15hp kicker motors (yes, 3 motors on the boat) and 2 Cannon electric downriggers. We are very happy, though we haven't actually taken it out yet. It trailored VERY easily with my Chevy Silverado Z71 1500, I was surprised.

Comment

sweet ride looks mint to me. how much again?
                        EdF
                        2003 Trophy2002
                        135hp optimax
                        Ghost Chaser

Comment

looks great! your gonna love it! more pic's

Comment

After selling one of the 2 15hp kickers, I paid 13k, this included 2 electric Cannon downriggers and a mint Venture trailer. It was a pretty good deal as the boat is almost new except for some very minor things, but hey, it's 10 years old lol. The 225hp EFI 2 stroke Merc not only looks and runs perfect, there isn't even a single mark on the skeg or prop. I took it out on a test run today and it runs great. Accelerates and planes quickly and at 5400 rpms (the most it will go at wide open throttle the way it is set up) the boat ran 52 mph. I need to find out if that rpm is about right as a max for that motor.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost Chaser View Post
                              Bad experience? What happened to your 2359?

Or what have you heard?

?
                              ghost chaser...no problems with the hull...only the power...finally got stranded 25 miles out and now have rebuilt or replaced everything...as with a lot of boats there is always something small to deal with...dont like the fish boxes or the small gas tank (87 gal. )...might be ok if powered by outboards, but the decision has been made to sell it...2nd problem with bayliner, there wont be a third...oh yeah- the nav lights on the bow stay broken because of the design and location...very hard to find replacements for that model...have to run down shorts in the wiring, been doing this since 2006 and it is a 2001 model...this is not a slam against all trophy products...just mine...oh yeah...tired of replacing pumps as well...now the livewell pump needs replacing also
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X