Buying a Used Trophy

hisalfi

Recruit
Hi I'm new here and have been looking at getting my first boat. I've ran across several used one here on Oahu, but im,going to take a look at a 1992 2002 WA Cuddy on Sunday. It's got a 1995 Mercury 120 and new electrical rigging.

Any sore spots on these boats I should look at. I saw the forum where the guy was redoing the transom on his 93 cause it rotted out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

its a 25 year old bayliner, specifically an early 90's bayliner when the construction wasnt that great

the boat has a design life of 15 years, so it will need attention somewhere

its going to have rot, I am 99% confident of that if it doesnt, buy a lottery ticket

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^

I'll add its a 25yr old boat. Maintenance and care over the last 25yrs will be more lilely to cause problems no matter how well this particular Bayliner, or any boat made by any manufacturer, has held up over the years.

Condition
Condition
Condition

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
That "Mercury" 120hp motor is more likely to be a Force, which are no longer made, and while parts can still be found, most shops won't work on them.

​For a very low price the boat might be an OK purchase, but that's only if you're OK with what can be a very costly and time consuming project.

hisalfi

Recruit
Thank guys. I didn't realize the shelf life of a boat was about 15 years. The guy is asking 6k he said he's firm on the price. Its a little sun faded, but that's all I can see in the pictures. I have a budget of 10k. And there is also a 23 footer here for 8k, mid-90s also.
I'm a little bummed because I can't really get one from an outer island unless it's big enough to sail over and shipping a boat here from the mainland is super expensive.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that boat here would be about a $500 project.

again, condition is king

if it was meticulously maintained it may not have rot

hisalfi

Recruit
Some times I do wish I lived in the mainland, better opportunities for deals. :)

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
How accurate is that NADA site for boat values?

​All boat prices are determined by the location where they're being purchased or sold, NADA gives a value that can be close, or miss it by a mile.