Triumph Boats? Good or Not?

caviar

Recruit
Re: Triumph Boats? Good or Not?

I have a 2001 210 CC (Logic/ Triumph)with a 130 Honda. A great fishing boat.. I fish in the ocean and bay navigating Barnegat Inlet ( quite snotty at times). I feel the boat may be a little light in the bow, this might be due to the weight of the engine (almost 500 lbs) and a large fuel tank (85 gallons). I do have an issue with the hatch lids not sealing and water accumulating in them. Ther is no thru hull drain, there are plugs. I either pump them out or pull the plugs while underway and replace them as soon as they are empty. I will do something about the non-sealing lid gaskets this spring. The metal is stainless with no corrosion issues. I only give it a quick wipe with aluma-guard and I am good to go. Top speed is low 30s w/2 or 3 aboard. Maintenance is a snap. No problems with the bunk trailer.The ropolene hull is a pleasure,little pounding and the flexing is unnoticeable. I have bounced it off docks, rocks and sand bars with NO damage at all! The price is right, I would do it again. A boat rental outfit in the area features them and loves the durability and lack of maintenance. I touch up my hull with Micron in the spring and go fishing. No waxing or worrys about gouges in the gel- coat.

traymond

Recruit

Good I own a 2001 17' cc(logic) 75hp fourstroke merc. I have fished this boat on lake champlain, cape cod (billingsgate shoals and the race @p-town. also at bishops and clerks and the race in CT.). The only problem with this boat it is light in the front and bangs hard against waves at high speed 3-4 footers.. It doesn't flop like a potato chip , bababa... How can you go wrong its Guaranteed for life... have fun i hope you buy one.
Tom

kneedragger

Seaman

My father bought an '06 190 Bay in an insurance auction. It floated the trailer it was stored on, and lived through Ivan in P'cola. Lets just say the trailer had more damage than the boat. He paid about what the 115 Johnson 4-stroke was worth(it is acutally a suzuki motor) at the time. This is the 8th boat we-ve owned over a 35 year time frame. The quitest outboard we have ever owned in 35 years. We had problems with the prop being the wrong size and had to go up in pitch twice. Now that that is worked out it will probably do a top speed of close to 40 with two people, and all their gear. We have fished the P'cola pass with 4-6 foot seas, and not gotten wet at all.

Only problems were with through hull passages from the storage containers. They had holes in them. This was a defect from the factory, and was covered under warranty. Dealers are few and far between in our area, but the ones we found, bend over backwards to help you, and go the extra mile. BTW we haven't had problems with hatches leaking, and all hardware is solid. Do take heed to the posts about the trailer and supports. The ropelene will "hog" on the trailer if not supported correctly. However, this also provides a great ride in the rough stuff.

I love the ride, the durability, layout, functionality, and looks. I don't like what you have to go through to put decals (registration) on it, and our factory decals don't stick very either. Also the screw holding power of the ropelene is not what it is with fiberglass. But overall we love it.

mondo80

Recruit

To add to this info. I have owned the triumph 170CC for a few seasons now. To be honest it has been a great experience. I have had none of the problems that the other guys have mentioned. I have had no leaking, cracks, or screw problems. I have owed at least 3 past boats and have been aboard many others. for this size triumph that I now own it has been the dryest, quietest, and smoothest ride that I have ever been on. This was true even when I was far out of the bay in openen water when wind was blowing at 20. Yes I was scared but the boat did great. In all honesty the only negative experience that I ever have had was cleaning it. It does take more elbow work that my past fiberglass boats did not and is less shinny. However, it offers an almost maintainence free experience. I love its durability and safety, this unmatched by any fiberglass boat. I would strongly recommend triumph over the rest. Yes, it is a little more elbow work to clean and lacks some shine BUT, you can fish this boat in areas that you would never bring a fiberglass boat for fear that fiberglass would scratch or worse. I have driven mine ashore plenty of time for swimming, etc. this was none on sandy shores, gravel, and rocky. All this with no damages what so ever. I would like to see this done with a fiberglass boat.LOL. I would have never done this with mine in the past. I even hit a huge bolder in Maine this year hiding under the water. I hit it hard, going about 10 and the sound of the smash was scary as heck, but absolutely no damage. What if this was fiberglass? My boat has also planed very nicely even with 4 people aboard, never had issues.

everybody is entitled to thier oppinion. And, my offer of info I hope will be fair and balanced. I will engage in no arguements with any member who wants to despute my post, especially when name calling is involved. My experiences with my boat are true and I believe that these are the best boats as far as durability and practicality that have ever been made. This is my first triumph and will not be my last. The truth is, I never plan to buy a fiberglass boat again. They are just to much of a headache and too much to worry about, a.k.a-- the fiberglass gelcoat, boat flex, cracking, chips, sun damage, scratches, hard ride, etc.

I hope that this post helps in offering a fair and balanced view.

Flatinfifth

Recruit

We are looking into a 21CC, 2003 vintage with a 115 HP Yamaha. Is this before Genmar purchased the company and is the 115 enough motor to carry two on board at a healthy clip?

One more question; if you compare the hulls of the 21 CC and say a 19 ft Bay model, are they both as seaworthy in terms of ride, dryness, etc??

Thanks.
Flatinfifth

gearyg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 2002 and yes, Genmar did own it then, I believe 2002 was the first year. I also have a 115hp Yamaha 4-Stroke. IMO, it is a little underpowered, but I don't have a T-Top and I usually solo when fishing. Also being in California, the farthest I go is to Catalina, yes it gets rough, but not as sudden and alittle more predictable than the East coast (from what I hear). So the 115hp is ok for my use. If I had a T-Top, 4-5 buddies wanting to fish with me everytime, it will be definately underpowered.

And yes, big difference between the 210 and 19ft. I would recomend the 210 if you will be going in the ocean.

\Good Luck.

YOBUCK

Recruit

I am looking around for my first boat. I am trying to find a boat that will be good for fresh and saltwater that is safe and requires minmal maintenance. :D .Right now it looks like the Triumph(formerly "Logic")190 Bay boat is my best choice. But I haven't found any one that has had experience with one to ask how they liked it...I would love to hear from some people that have had one of these Roplene boats.<br /><br />Thank you :) <br /><br />Michael

I am 59 years old and have had boats at age 17 years from an 8' pram to a
28' twin screw sportfisherman. I bought a new 2005 Triumph 210CC. This boat is fantastic. I have the factory Tee Top with rocket launchers. The ride is quiet and smooth. Rough water is not a problem. This boat will handle more than you can on rough water. It came with a 150 HP Yamaha 4 stroke. What a dynamic combination of dependability and economic efficiency. I swapped the aluminum prop with a stainless steel prop and picked up approx. 8 more miles per hour flat out on good water. I did have a hard time cleaning this boat by hand compared to my prior fiberglass boats until I used a power washer with some Simple Green. Clean up is now easy and the power washer brings that ropelene material up like new. I have no doubt some people had problems with their boats, but that goes with "Any Product" or "Manufacturer". Over all this was the best money I have ever spent on any boat in 45 years on the water. My Triumph is a lean mean fishing machine. It is a great pleasure ride for the family as well. After several years of use, I still find myself looking back at my boat in the slip with pride and admiration before heading for home.

Last edited:

Huron Angler

Admiral

My girlfriend's grandfather bought a 2003 17' CC with a 60hp Yamaha a few years ago and he loves that darn boat. The boat is about as tough and hardworking as he is which is saying alot since he gets more done by 10am at 70+ years than most people all day long.

That boat is great for fishing and cruising around and does have plenty of storage. He happened to buy his from a gentleman who bought it new, used it once right before he passed away:( so he bought a brand new boat at a great price as well:)

In case anyone is interested in seeing the videos of the extreme testing the boats can handle. http://www.toughboats.com/

bgf409

Recruit

I own a 2002 Bay 190, used exclusively in the Ocean, 115 HP Suzuki 4-stroke Outboard. I always flush engine with fresh water after use, boat stored on trailer. Made ocean crossing from Redondo Beach to Avalon, Santa Catalina many times in summer and fall. Floor board screws do tend to loosen a bit, just re-tighten occasionally. Added a clamp on, no hole drilling in motor required, SE Sport 200 Hydrofoil. It's gets up on plane easier and increases top speed. I suspect lower fuel burn rate also. Best plastic boat cleaner after trial and error is any orange oil based cleaner, removes the ground in dirt and grease without harm to plastic. Plastic can be buffed up with power buffer, use no compound, just buff. I have been around boats my whole life, these Roplene Plastic boats are as good as they come, light, strong, maintenance free.

triumph191

Recruit

hello dont know u from Adam so I have no reason to lie to u. I have owned a triumph 191fs since 2005 I love the boat. There is no waxing like other boats I use mine for catfishing tidal water mostly it gets dirty on top as well as the bottom simply put some simple green in a garden sprayer spray it down brush the stubbern spots and pressure wash ready to go again that simple..nothing to rot will never go bad... On the lake skiing it will seat 8 and the boat does great for fun as well If I were to buy another boat today It would be another triumph hope this is helpfull

aldbra

Cadet

I have a 2002 17' Triumph that I purchased new in 2002. It has a 60HP Yamaha 4 stroke and will run 30 mph. I have never had any issues with the boat or motor. I mounted a 52lb thrust Motor Guide trolling motor and that will pull this boat all over due to the light weight hull. It will float in 9 inches of water and that is great for flats fishing. Clean up is a cinch, just hose it down and wipe the stainless down. I haven't even replaced the bildge pump the whole time owning it. just cleaned the screen several times. The only drawback on the 17 footer is the beam width should be wider. there is too much movement when walking from one side to the other. Other than that, I would recommend Triumph to anyone that wants a tough boat and low maintenance.

rickd007

Recruit

Micheal
bought a 191 f&s 2 summers ago w a 150 yamaha. Best boat and motor. I have 5 kids for waterskiing and wakeboarding. Plus the hit the lift and the dock all day long and cant hurt the boat. Boat runs great and always starts. Has great power and easy to clean. Had a inboard Thompson prior to this and was a nightmare. Buy it you"ll be very happy
Rick

Calabashman

Recruit

I'm Calabashman and I have been boating longer than most of you have been alive. I'm new to this forum and also a new Triumph boat owner. I just purchased a ?Custom Built" 1 of a kind Triumph 1700 DC Skiff from a marina in NC. Before I get into my specifics I must start by saying I believe triumph changed most, if not all of their mould/structural requirements back in 2009. Boats built after that have new engineering/design requirement and are much better than ever before - and before they were very good. I believe they changed the type of foam & bonding process used internally to a much stronger process. Roplene by itself is 10 times stronger than fiberglass, just for openers. OK, with that being said, I started talking to Triumph dealers in the NC & SC area to see if anyone had a 1700 skiff in a dual console configuration. Having no luck and told they just don't offer it I made contact with a Triumph design engineer who agreed it sounded like a good idea. He then referred me to a marina who they use to do most of their design & test work. They authorized them to build one for me. I worked with them for 3 months and finally took delivery of my 1700 "DC" Skiff 3 weeks ago. I have the only 17? Skiff with a dual console plus 4 custom seats, ss hand holds, convex flooring, and much more. I've had 3 water trials in the intercoastal waterway here in NC to date and I must say I am very pleased. It's being powered by my 2006 Honda 75. Handling, performance, ease of operation & cleaning all are excellent. I?m still outfitting the boat with my equipment (fishing and gps etc.) but expect to be using it regularly as the season progresses. Those of you who are unsure of the Triumph boat and its ability to provide you with what you are looking for in a safe, durable and comfortable boat for your purposes should by all means go to the triumph boat site and see their offerings and watch their ads. You should be impressed. If you still have questions contact me and I will give you the name and phone number of the marina I used in NC to build my boat. I'll also keep you posted on my Triumph boating experiences. I do have some photos. Hope this helps answer some of your questions. Calabashman

Expidia

Commander

All of the recent responders to the original poster do realize that it's an 11 years old post . . . right :eek:

Shawncweed

Recruit

We bought a Triumph 191 F/S with 115 Yamaha last year and have put about a hundred hours on it...Overall, we really like its flexibility. We live south of Savannah off the innercoastal and use the boat for inshore fishing 75% of the time and Nearshore fishing 25% of the time. the boats 10" draft lets us get into the shallow creeks to get shrimp and crabs, and near oyster rakes to catch trout and red drum...yet it is stable enough to let us go out to the artificial reefs. The 191 lay out is awesome...we call it the swiss army knife of boats where it has a nice platform for fishing in the back, which can turn into nice seats when we take passengers over to our favorite seaside restaurant. Our chief complaints are the fit finish has been weak in areas and things don't neatly shut as you would expect...This is not an AMG. I like to fish so these are pretty much niggling issues to me, but if you are a perfectionist, this will drive you nuts. I am relatively new to boating so I am not sure if these shortfalls are unique to Ropylene or all boats. I like the rugged nature of the boat and it has come out unscathed over a few encounters with oyster rakes...I also like the no polish finish. I would buy another one...and in fact am looking at a 1700 Skiff to get into even shallower waters and along our golden isle beach fronts. Georgia rocks.