triumph boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanb50

Recruit
Thinking about buying a triumph 190 bay for saltwater usage. The price is very affordable. Any opinions about these polyethylene boats? They claim they are indestructible.<br />It will come with a Suzuki 4 stroke 140 hp engine. Can any one tell me if Suzuki makes good or bad engines.

Mark Reece

Recruit
Re: triumph boats

My wife and I wanted a boat that would be at home on inland lakes, but also would be a good safe boat in the North Carolina waterways at the beach. I looked at boats for about two months, and always came back to the Triumph line. I purchased a 170 Center Console about 2 weeks ago. We love the boat. It rides good, has a shallow draft, and does not take a large motor to get the job done. The Triumph line of boats are as tough as they are advertised. Yes, I actually did get to hit one with a sledge hammer. Our first day out in the boat, we bumped a floating dock due to some rough water. Not as much as a scratch on the boat. <br /><br />I'm well pleased with the boat. It's not for everybody though. It doesn't have the glossy smooth finish of gel-coat, but I don't really care. I see it as less maintenance.<br /><br />I can truthfully say that I would recommend Triumph.<br /><br />Don't know much about Suzuki engines. Yamaha is the big brand in my neck of the woods. I will say though, that my son has had a Suzuki dirt bike for about 2 years, never had any trouble with it. Runs like a scalded dog.

bigv111

Recruit
i bought a new 190 bay in 2003. it had a suzuki 140 on it when i first saw it and when i went back to buy it the motor had been sold. I had a honda 115 put on it and have have had zero issues with the motor. The boat was great for ten years. Then the hull cracked on both side of the keel right at the point of entry when on plane. Triumph said that the boat was not properly supported and they repaired it for free and added an extra v bunk for support. the hull cracked again at the exact same place about 2 years later and triumph says that since i changed the v bunk to a roller that they would only fix the hull for 2000.00 bucks. My stand was that support is support and that it should not have cracked. they said to bad and so i brought the boat home and opened up the place where they cut it to repair it the first time to see it from the inside. The hull cracked at the exact point where the stringer stops on the inside going forward. Also the place where they cut it open and welded it back together had cracked as well. They put a 2 inch plastic scab on the inside of the crack to reinforce the hull. I had an engineer look at it and he saw no way to reinforce the hull at the break so that it would not flex and crack again.
through research I have talked to a former employee of triumph and he said that they knew that it was a design flaw. weather or not they changed it he did not know. So i am abandoning the hull and am shopping for another boat to hang the motor on. in my view triumph should replace this hull if they can't repair it.they will no longer respond to my emails.
So the bottom line is that the material is very tough and the hull design can take some pretty heavy seas, but it cant handle just sitting on the trailer. by the way, When I bought my boat it had a lifetime, transferable hull warranty. Now they only offer a 5 year limited warranty. good luck

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
i bought a new 190 bay in 2003. it had a suzuki 140 on it when i first saw it and when i went back to buy it the motor had been sold. I had a honda 115 put on it and have have had zero issues with the motor. The boat was great for ten years. Then the hull cracked on both side of the keel right at the point of entry when on plane. Triumph said that the boat was not properly supported and they repaired it for free and added an extra v bunk for support. the hull cracked again at the exact same place about 2 years later and triumph says that since i changed the v bunk to a roller that they would only fix the hull for 2000.00 bucks. My stand was that support is support and that it should not have cracked. they said to bad and so i brought the boat home and opened up the place where they cut it to repair it the first time to see it from the inside. The hull cracked at the exact point where the stringer stops on the inside going forward. Also the place where they cut it open and welded it back together had cracked as well. They put a 2 inch plastic scab on the inside of the crack to reinforce the hull. I had an engineer look at it and he saw no way to reinforce the hull at the break so that it would not flex and crack again.
through research I have talked to a former employee of triumph and he said that they knew that it was a design flaw. weather or not they changed it he did not know. So i am abandoning the hull and am shopping for another boat to hang the motor on. in my view triumph should replace this hull if they can't repair it.they will no longer respond to my emails.
So the bottom line is that the material is very tough and the hull design can take some pretty heavy seas, but it cant handle just sitting on the trailer. by the way, When I bought my boat it had a lifetime, transferable hull warranty. Now they only offer a 5 year limited warranty. good luck

This thread is over 13 years old. Please look at the rules about posting in old, no ancient, threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.