Tacker Questions

Hi there. New member Vicksburg, MS here. I am looking at getting a 175 tf. I was looking for a lil honesty on how well built and packaged these boats are. I have heard mixed reviews about the tracker boats and mercury motors. I have tried to look across the web for review sites and couldn't really find anything. Also how well does the carpet hold up versus the vinyl as well as heat reduction. They come with a 60 horse and a 45 lb thrust trolling motor and I was also wanting to know if I needed to see about upgraded of if they handled the boat well with out feeling under powered. This is going to be my first boat and I just want to make sure I'm not going to be getting something that will spend more time in the yard then on the water with my kids. Any and all info is greatly appreciated in advance!

Last edited:

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tacker Questions

IMHO most of the packages are underpowered to keep the pricing attractive. You pretty much get what you pay for as in most everything. If I was going to buy a tracker I would get a larger engine than the starting package and leave everything else as listed if you would be happy with that.

Fish'n Lewi

Seaman Apprentice

Like Georgesalmon stated, most are equipped and sold underpowered which is one of my biggest gripes. I would upgrade the motor if it were me to be happy. I have a Pro Guide V16 with a 75 4 stroke on it which is the max and it's great. My father had the same boat with a 50 2-stroke and although it was fine with the 2 of us in it we kept saying to ourselves how nice a 75 would be and it is.

fishrdan

Admiral

Tracker is a low end budget boat, so what the others said is spot-on,,, low HP outboards, low powered trolling motors, cheap entry level fish finder, fit, finish, build quality, etc., etc....

One thing you need to look at is their warranty. Compare Tracker's warranty against, Lund, Crestliner, Starcraft, etc. and you'll see a big difference in coverage. Hull, welds, accessories, carpet, seats, wiring. What does Tracker cover and what to they exclude from their warranty? Also, how do they cover weld defects "exterior" welds compared to "interior" welds.

Google "Tracker cracked welds" and read up. Any welded boat could get a cracked weld (high quality boats shouldn't), but how is the boat manufacturer going to take care of the problem if it occurs? My Tracker jon boat had several cracked welds and I had to pay for the repair since it was out of warranty. It was only a $700 jon boat though :lol:...

Myself, I wouldn't buy another tracker as there are better boats out there. They may cost more, but you're getting a better boat. If money is a factor, I would buy a good condition high quality used boat, over a new tracker.

Last edited: