Radio install

Blarney413

Cadet
I have read a bunch of posts of people asking where to install radios and speakers. This past weekend I finally installed some on my boat. I put the receiver on the side console (with a splash guard) and put the speakers on either side of the boat. The wiring was alot easier than I expected. Also if you look close you can see where I broke my windshield mentioned in an earlier thread. (I fixed that with epoxy after the photo was taken). I just wanted to show anyone interested in installing a stereo pictures of where I placed my speakers. Hopefully this helps ou guys out.

speaker.jpgRadio and speaker.jpg

ATXHusker

Recruit
Re: Radio install

That looks great! I have the same boat and want to do a setup such as that but I'm a total newbie at this. If you wouldn't mind giving me the run-down on how the wiring goes on this I would appreciate it. Thanks!

-Chad

Blarney413

Cadet

ATXHusker- wiring was fairly simple. I wired the receiver directly to an extra ACC switch on the dash. (works great but when the switch is off it completely cuts power to the radio so you can't keep your saved stations. I just save stations each time if I'm using the FM and not CD or aux.) I cut the holes on both sides with a 5 in hole saw and there was enough depth for the speakers. I was nervous about wiring the speakers because I didn't feel comfortable removing any of the side pannels (which I didn't have to). With the speaker on the left side I was able to thread the wire from the 5 in hole to the storage compartment under the seats. In the corner of the storage area I moved the carpet over and there was a gap in the metal which allowed room for the wire. I didn't need to cut or drill anything. I attached the wire along the inside of the storage compartment and then into the other side panel (using the same "corner method") where I cut the other 5 in hole for the speaker. I was able to thread both wires around the fuse box and into the side consol (where the rest of the wires connect from the fuse box to the console. And then I attached the wires to the receiver.... yup, thats about it. I've used it almost everyday this week. The only issue I can think of is that with the way the speakers are facing it is a little harder to hear the radio up front unless you turn it up a little bit... but thats not really a problem. good luck if you give it a shot.

(sorry for the delayed response)

nirvananight

Recruit

Hi Brummo and Blarney. I have the exact same boat, 2011 model. I was looking around how to install a radio and your guys' pictures are fantastic! Two different styles! I am veryyyy green to this so excuse my novice questions. I figured out the fishing for the speakers when I was buying the boat by going under the storage seats and thats what it looks like you guys did. 1) Where I am lost is how did you fish the wires from the storage to behind the fuse box into under the console? 2)My boat doesn't have a ACC switch so can I directly power it from the fuse box or should I install a ACC switch and power it from the fuse box and run the reciever wires to the ACC? Or....? 3)Also, how what kind/how did you stabalize/mount the reciever Blarney? I too want a CD reciever but it is bulky and the plastic console seems flimsy so your expertise would be appreciated. Thanks so much guys!

nirvananight

Recruit

The mounting and cutting into the dash is what I would like to know...as you can see from Blarney's pics the console is just a semi-thick plastic/nylon molding...but have no idea how one can keep the receiver stable...what supports?....If anyone else has any ideas/experience please chime in...I think Blarney and Brummo are out enjoying their boat! haha. I wonder if I directly hook up the receiver to fuse box (since I have no extra ACC switch), does it take alot of juice when off because most new radio receiver have a backup battery for saved stations when the boat is off....if not, I guess its good old boombox for me haha

ZJARCHER

Cadet

The mounting and cutting into the dash is what I would like to know...as you can see from Blarney's pics the console is just a semi-thick plastic/nylon molding...but have no idea how one can keep the receiver stable...what supports?....If anyone else has any ideas/experience please chime in...I think Blarney and Brummo are out enjoying their boat! haha. I wonder if I directly hook up the receiver to fuse box (since I have no extra ACC switch), does it take alot of juice when off because most new radio receiver have a backup battery for saved stations when the boat is off....if not, I guess its good old boombox for me haha

What he said^

Just curious how it's "stabilized"

U.S.S. Too Tall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have been thinking about a radio as well. Hoping to take a little vacation soon, I wont be able to get one in, or do all the research for it, so I think that a boombox will be in my packing list this time around. But the first question that I have about installing a radio would be about the power supply. Having an OLD boat, with inline fuses on everything, obviously an inline fuse for the radio, hooked up to ignition is my thought. Because I really dont want to kill the battery, and not have a backup plan in place. Any thoughts on this type of install??

msgcoons

Cadet

How did you run the wires? What was used for the antenna? I'm very much considering your set up,thanks for the thread.

DFTracker

Recruit

I have my radio and speakers mounted in my 2011 Tracker TXW 175, but I am not sure about the wiring. It is routed under the dash. I have the red, black, and yellow fused wire from the radio. The black is common and goes to the negative battery terminal on the fuse block, the yellow goes to the positive terminal/always on to retain memory, but where does the red go? It says to the ignition/switched power on. What wire is that on the boat? If the other two should be connected elsewhere please advise as well. Thanks.

brummo

Seaman Apprentice

Depending on the type of radio and how you want it powered there are some different ways. I powered my constant and switched power to be live all the time. That's just how I did it.

brummo

Seaman Apprentice

Nice Job.....How were the speakers mounted and wires ran?

Not sure if you are asking me or not, but on my boat I drilled into the side of the interior and was able to run speakers wire under the seat storage area to the dash I think on my Youtube video I have I gave a bit more written info on the depth of speakers etc....it's been awhile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaSMxP0KlBY

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

guys, its an old post