Purchased a 1989 Thundercraft Magnum 220 SC

capostagno

Recruit
Just bought my first boat last weekend. It is a 1989 Thundercraft Magnum 220 SC. There was not a whole lot of information regarding these boats. Whenever it comes up in conversation I always got, "that's a good Canadian boat," or something similar. It came with the 4.3L V6 with 4 barrel 205HP. The motor and sterndrive are OMC Cobra. Both Thundercraft and OMC are names of the past, which makes information gathering all that more difficult. Ammenties included the alchohol only stove by Kenyon, even though it has a 115V breaker for the electric/alcohol stove; nice that it came with the camper cover and cockpit covers in exceptionally good condition; there is a refridgerator but it doesn't seem to be turning on; the water pressure is outstanding in the sink; there is a transom hose next to the rear seat; there is a breaker for hot water, but I don't know if that is installed or working. I was worried that the V6 was going to be under powered for a 22' boat, but it's more than enough for a family of 5 and a dog.

I also came with an '89 Yacht Club roller bunk trailer equipped with electric winch. That went right into the storage yard for the season.

I wish I could find documentation the wiring and operation of the boat like a simple Haynes manual for a car. That would be a great help. Does anybody know of it's existence or willing to part with there copy? I have the engine manual.

When one finds original documentation about capacities make sure to realize that the conversions are listed as metric to imperial standard, NOT United States standard. Research helped me find out that there are 3 different gallons.

It did have a starting and stalling problem, so I dropped it off after weekend to get it fixed. They found the starter module (whatever that is) was faulty and replaced it. While they were in there they replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires for good measure. The boat only sat for about 3 weeks before I picked it up. It came with a fairly full tank of fuel, but I wiped most of that out in 2 days puttering around the lake. I'll be performing and oil change and fuel filter change this month to cover my rear end.

Can't wait to get back out there today!

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Purchased a 1989 Thundercraft Magnum 220 SC

Congrats on the Thundercraft. Please post a pic. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now!

The geneology of Thundercraft continues to elude me. By way of example, I found the same info as you when trying to research the name, but the name plate on my 1990 Thundercraft 1750 indicates that it was made in Tennessee. I have seen a variety of logos for the name. And it seems there was a famous patent/trademark case involving the Tennessee Thundercraft co.

I just completed the installation of Smart Tabs on my T-craft and I'll be putting it back in the water in about an hour. Very excited to see the expected improvements!:p

capostagno

Recruit

Not too sure how to add pictures so you can see them.

I want to get a new prop. Currently looking at the 14" or 15" with 19P. The goal is the increase the top speed from ~35mph to 42-44mph and decrease my fuel consumption around normal cruising speeds around 25mph. I'm not looking for dramatic, just noticeable improvements.

Also need to caulk a few points. There appears to be a leak here and there.

capostagno

Recruit

More to add...

GET A TELESCOPIC POLE! & "They're bumpers until you learn how to dock, and then they're fenders." I own bumpers.:facepalm:

Anyways, I pulled the ice box out and found two sets of wires; one for the fridge and one for the water heater. This was disconcerting because the heater was gone and the fridge was obviously swapped out for an ice box. No harm. The local C-store sells ice blocks for this purpose. It stays pretty solid for about a day.

Fixed the Lowrance 3500 depth finder. It needed a fuse is all. While I was behind the dash I found a mess that needs some organization and maybe a little rewiring. The previous owner used splices in there and in the power panel for whatever reason when there are open terminals.

The two leaks I discovered are fresh water from the head and the rivet holes on the fron hatch. The fresh water leak appears to be just about dead center on the head...first showing up just to the front of the head about 3" x 5" inches, and then behind the wall in the after cabin similarly 3" wide but much longer. The more one pumps, the more is spreads. Not exactly what I was hoping for but it was worsened by the 8 people I had on board for the day. At least it isn't grey water...that would be a problem

All of these quirks leaves lots of room for personalization.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a fine boat capostagno, hope you figure out how to post pics, be great to see it. They're a lot like my Doral 240 Cavalier, built in the same town as a matter of fact :)