need new prop

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class
hi everyone , i broke my prop on the weekend and i cant see the numbers on the prop very good . its a 1989 thundercraft 220 magnum with the 4.3 merc and sterndrive , anybody have one of these so i know what prop to get ? thanks ..

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Re: need new prop

Canman:

Haven't been on in a while.

Ater it stopped raining, I went out and checked the prop on my 220 Magnum.

I've got a Stainless Steel Michigan prop on mine: 15" x 17" RH.

You don't really need the mfg. numbers but the diameter and pitch is important.

Hope it works out for you.

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks , it is a 19 pitch , i am going to try a 18 pitch 4 blade and see how that works ..

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class

hi everyone , i put the 4 blade 18 pitch on and what a difference . the boat planes quicker and the boat handles a lot better with the 4 blade . wot throttle is around 4400 rpm ....thanks ..

capostagno

Recruit

It just so happens that I grounded my prop this weekend and need a replacement rather soon. My boat (1989 Thundercraft Magnum 220 SC 4.3L 205HP) came with a 15x15. I didn't mind the hole shot but the cruising speed seems a bit lackluster (20-25mph @ 3,000-3,500RPM, respectively). On top of the almost 4,000lbs unladen weight of the boat, I would add another 1,000lbs of people, fuel, water, waste, and gear. Even with that the boat is pretty good about getting on plane and cruising. It's when I get passed the roughly 5k that it starts to have trouble. The rareity of that occasion doesn't concern me as much since I just throttle it up some more to get on plane and pull back a bit once there. If I could nudge the cruising speed up a notch and maintain the same RPM that would be perfect. I see here two people with the same boat and different props (17P and 19P) and wanted to know your take on performance. Thanks.

canman

Petty Officer 1st Class

hello there , i would go with a 18 inch pitch 4 blade prop , your boat weighs about the same as mine . i have a spare prop which is a 15 inch pitch 4 blade , i tried it on the boat once and took it off because it did not have enough pitch . at half throttle my motor would rev up to 4400 rpm with that prop on there . i think the max rpm for the 4.3 motor is 4400 rpm . hope this helps you out ..