Smart Tabs

bjlakatos

Cadet
Re: tahoe Q7i questions

I agree with Prince Vailum. I had a hydrofoil first and while it seemed like it helped, I wound up throwing it away. I put SmartTabs on and there is no comparison. Hydros are ok for smaller outboards on light boats, but they are largely ineffective on sterndrives on a bowrider. Go to the SmartTabs and you'll be VERY glad that you did. You won't believe all fo the glowing reports at first, but the very frist trip with them on your boat, well, you'll understand then. They aren't an option, they are essential.

I didn't replace the bow stop roller, but I did add a stainless steel adhesive bow protector. The roller WILL scratch the gel in that area, but the SS plate mounts onto the bow exactly where it rubs, prevents this, and looks very high-end in the process. I think that it was $20.

Another great option is a Keelguard brand bow protector. They sounds difficult and complicated to install, but I put mine on in about 30 minutes. It's another essential item to protect the hull, and is worthy of your consideration.

Good idea for the anchor storage! I keep my 25lb Navy anchor in the small compartment under the sliding seat that covers the step for sundeck/stern access. I have an old beach towel that I have folded a couple of times and placed into the bottom of that compartment. That works like a charm as well, adn I have to trailer my boat at least 1 hr each way every trip. I like your cooler idea, good thinking!

Hey guys, I am ready to install the smart tabs on my '10 Q7i. (lakes are swollen here in Texas (Most ramps closed in Houston area) so it is a perfect time to do boat chores.

I have looked at Rob's videos on the install and what to watch out for (thanks again Rob) and I have two questions;

1-Smart Tab SX pn? Is it SXz10512-90?
2-Both of you guys have had the hydrofoil (either on the Tahoe or Rob indicated it was on another Outboard). Either way, my question is how did you fill the holes on the vent plate? did you use JBWeld? Any advice here would be appreciated.

Thanks again for your contributions on the forum.

Brian

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Fixed your hijack. You now have a thread of your own. Please look at the rules about posting in old threads.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, I am ready to install the smart tabs on my '10 Q7i. (lakes are swollen here in Texas (Most ramps closed in Houston area) so it is a perfect time to do boat chores.

...... and I have two questions;

1-Smart Tab SX pn? Is it SXz10512-90?

2-....

Thanks again for your contributions on the forum.

Brian

I called Greg at Smart Tabs and he suggested I use SX9510-60 for my 06 Q6. I think the Q6 and your Q7i are essentially the same size boat. My Q6 only has the 4.3L engine so if yours has the V8 you may need the 10512-90. If I were you I would confirm with Greg Schreiber at Nauticus Inc. (Smart Tabs)

If you can't find his contact on their website, PM me for the email address.

bjlakatos

Cadet
Thanks, I checked with Nauticus, the correct set is SX9510-80 for my boat. I installed them and got to take the first ride with them yesterday. You guys were right, no comparison to the Foil. I was on plane instantly and the porpoising is nearly nonexistant. THe only thing that seems odd is the rooster tail on each side of the wake (Saw it while I was wakeboarding). They are in the middle setting and I need to back off a little it seems like the tabs are making the boat drag. But the boat's overall performance has improved dramatically. Also, I have not been able to verify same top end speed due to condition of the lake.