Q6 Tahoe Master power switch

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
For all you guys out there with Tahoes. I recently noticed when checking a different problem that with just my Master switch on and the key off, my electric fuel pump can be heard running. That doesn`t seem normal. Has anyone else noticed this?? I think of all the times I was sitting on the water, engine off but master on for the stereo. I don`t know if this is normal or a new problem. Thanks for any responses.

dursetto

Cadet
Hi Maddog,

Are you sure it wasn't the bilge pump you heard? Mine is manual and I often forget to turn it off until I kill the engine and hear it running.

Fun Times

Staff member
Attention all 2006 Mercruiser TKS carbureted engine model owners!

You'll want to be aware of the possible diode failure that could either allow the engine to stay running after ignition key off or allow the fuel pump to stay running with the key in the off position depending on situation. For more information, follow the links starting with this one, http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ves/9938702-fuel-starvation/page2#post9942660

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, looks like we found the problem. Thank you for your help fun times and everyone else who added suggestions . I found the diode and it does have continuity both ways , so its bad. While I was at it I found the hidden fuse. It too was blown. Its a 20 amp on my boat. I am trying to upload the pictures I took. The red one is the diode verified by looking up the number supplied by fun times and the exact diode popped up on a parts search. It doesn't look like any diode I have ever seen. I'm having problems uploading my photos but I will figure it out to help others. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't seem to upload these photos. It keeps telling me its an invalid file or the file is too large. I will be happy to share another way if someone else can upload them. Sorry.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry for taking so long to get back with my boat problem. I was finally able to get out SAT & Sun between weather and work. The boat ran great and I wish I could have pinpointed the problem 100% but since my nearest lake is 20 miles away, I did several things before trying her out. When you start looking for problems you start finding them. I found the 20 A fuse on my engine blown that I never knew about. I`m still not sure what its for. I also found the red diode allowing current both ways so I replaced both. The explanation for the diode is on a previous post on this thread. I also found my metal air filter very dirty and cleaned it as well. I removed my fuel tank vent line and blew it out with air. Between these several things the problem was fixed. I hope this helps the next guy somewhere. I`ve not been able to upload the pics of the diode or the fuse on the engine but would be happy to answer any questions that anyone may have about them in the future. It keeps telling me my photo is beyond the size limit but I`ve seen people post many pictures of their boats. It also says invalid file when I try uploading the second way.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like I figured a different way to post my pics. You must click on the link . The red plastic one is the diode. Forward of that you see a disconnected connector kinda green. That's the connector that when opened has a 20 amp fuse in it. I still don't know what that fuse is for, but in my case it was blown. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your photos are to large. They are 4.3 Mbs each and the limit is 2.0 Mbs. When you take pictures, reduce the quality of the pictures your are taking so you can directly upload them to your post.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Using your Photobucket acct is the best way, IMO, to post pix:

For each pix you put into your acct, there is an IMG code. It looks like this:
IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/zpse9fc3u5k.jpg~original[/IMG

And posting that IMG code into your post (like I did above), where you want to insert the pix, puts the pix IN your post. That way they don't have to be opened to be viewed.