Smart Tabs Installed on my 2006 Q6 Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well after a little discussion on the benefits of Smart Tabs in this off topic thread

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...ld-up-the-sundeck-over-the-engine-compartment

I finally drilled 16 holes in my dry transom and installed a set. SX 9510-60 as recommended by Greg at Nauticus. Greg sent me the adapter for the Q6 free of charge once I ordered the tabs. I did not even have to drink a few before I got the nerve up to drill the holes. It did take my getting up some nerve to pay over $20 for a 3 oz tube of 3M 5200 of which I bet I only used 1/2 oz or less. The installation on my Q6 was straight forward. I hope it gives me all the benfits that everyone described in the above referenced thread. I will see if they do this weekend on the Tombigbee.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Tim. I was over in Natchez today standing on the banks of the Mississippi trying to figure out some way to justify my dragging the Q6 over there to look at a potential project the City wants to construct. I kept think this would be a good place to try out the smart tabs but then again the 5200 hasn't cured completely.

Tim in TN

Seaman
I drive by the Mississippi about 20 times a week but my boat has never been in it. Too much debris, some of it HUGE. I hear Natchez is real pretty but I've never been. I have acqaintences in Vicksburg that remind us that Natchez is only pretty because they quickly surrendered during the war. LOL
I'm taking the boat and kids to Pickwick Friday, trying to beat the crazy holiday crowd.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got my Cabin in East Tn rented thru the end of the Month so We've rented a cabin on the Tombigbee at Coffeeville AL for the Weekend. I grew up at this camp as my father had one on this location in the late 60's. Kinda just want to get away and be left alone from the phone for a while.

Tim in TN

Seaman
I know what you mean about getting away from the phone, and contact in general. We spend at least 1 week every summer on Dale Hollow Lake, north of Cookeville, TN. It's the prettiest lake I've ever been on AND almost no cell phone service. LOL

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will look up the Dale Hollow Lake. I am anxious to see how the Smart Tabs help the boat. Gotta change the carpet on the bunks while I'm in the water this weekend as well.

ronq

Cadet
I put the SX 9510-60 on my 07 Q6 SF this year and it's like a brand new boat. Greg at Nauticus was great and I can't recommend the smart tabs enough it makes boating so much nicer and the boat performs much better.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put the SX 9510-60 on my 07 Q6 SF this year and it's like a brand new boat. Greg at Nauticus was great and I can't recommend the smart tabs enough it makes boating so much nicer and the boat performs much better.

Rong, Are you running the hydraulic cylinder in the middle of the 5 holes on the tabs? That's what I've been running and I think I am going to go to hole 4 to try to take a little more porpoise out when the engine is trimmed up higher.

ronq

Cadet
Bonus, I'm still in the middle and was thinking of trying hole 4. I still get a little porpoise, but usually only once or twice and it stops. The lake here has been up about 2 feet above normal and little rough. I am so happy with how it's performed in these conditions. Last year was my first year with this boat and it was kind of miserable if the water was rough. I did notice that backing and turning it tight conditions is a little tougher. I can't coast and turn as sharp as I used to be able, but I love that the low speed handling is so much better. When I take off I love that my bow doesn't up like it used to. I haven't pulled the kids tubing yet, but will probably this weekend so I am waiting to see how it performs this weekend. Just FYI I was going to change prop this year since it has the factory original on it, but decided to only add the smart tabs to see the difference with only them and I couldn't be happier.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have changed the prop on my Q6 to a 15-1/4" X 21 P SS prop. I roughed up my aluminum prop at a boat launch with low water. The SS prop is stronger but does seem to need a little more HP to turn it. It may be my imagination but the aluminum was faster and it was the same size. My 4.3L is 2BBL carbed so it is only rated at 190HP.

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm installing the SX 9510-80 on my Q8i this weekend.. Cannot wait to try it out!!

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lonnie, They will be one of the best mods you make to the Q8. The tabs greatly reduce the porpoising and the anaconda effect at slow speed just disappears.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Can you guys show me where you installed them cuz with the rounded stern is there an adapter what I was thinking of putting smart tabs but their useless on the rounded stern I have a q4

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I also installed a 14"diameter by 21"mercruiser spitfire prop going out tomorrow I will let you know the difference in performance my previous prop was a 14.25 21p 3 blade the new one is a 4 blade but mercury says to do an even swap with the spitfire so here goes

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can you guys show me where you installed them cuz with the rounded stern is there an adapter what I was thinking of putting smart tabs but their useless on the rounded stern I have a q4

Ray you should contact Greg Schreiber at Nauticus to discuss it. Go to their website and click contact link to get up with him. I have the email address and you can PM me for his address if you want it. I wouldn't want to violate any forum rules.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lilrayray,

I run a 15-1/4" diameter 21P SS Turbo and run 47 MPH GPS at 4600 RPM in the Q6 with a 4.3L. Record your reading and let us know how it performs. If you talk with Greg and you put smart tabs on, Let us know the difference in your performance.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
With the 21p 3 blade prop I run at 4800rpm doing 45 mph with me and half tank of fuel GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.