Tahoe Q6 Gas Lift Cartridges that hold up the sundeck over the engine compartment

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just found this site after googling my searching for Tahoe Boats forum so I am new to this forum.

Last Fall I purchased a 2006 Q6 Sport which required new upholstery. Just got my seats back and the gas cartridges that mount to the rear sundeck that covers the engine compartment needs new ones. The old ones were AWOL when I purchased the boat last fall. Does anyone have a part number showing on the cartridges that are on your Q6 which you can provide to me? Also the upholstery shop did not remount the brackets on the underside of the seat which the gas cartridges clip to. If you could provide some pictures of the underside of the seat or some measurements as to the location of the mounts, I would appreciate it.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well after trial and error, I figured out the mount locations and the part number of the gas shocks required for the engine compartment seat. I bought the gas lifts at Autozone for $20 each. The brackets bolt to the seat with #10-24 X 1" bolts in T-Nuts that were installed originally at the factory. Tahoe Q6 Gas Lift springs.jpg
Mercruiser Engine Compartment Gas Lifts.jpg

Tim in TN

Seaman
I'm just now seeing your post, sorry I couldn't help with the info. I bought a 2006 Q6 Sport new in 2006 and have loved it.
Soon into the first season we realized the built-in cooler under the bench seat wasn't well insuated. Bought some 1/2 inch foam board insulation from Lowe's, cut several pieces to fit and now it keeps ice all day.

My next favorite modification was adding Smart Tabs. They REALLY helped the boat get on plane quickly and stay on plane at much lower speeds than before.
Hope you enjoy your boat as much as we have.
Tim

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Tim,

Can you send pictures of the smart tabs and the added insulation. My plane speed is about 19-20 MPH and I really need to get on plane at a slower speed for my son to wakeboard.

What part of Tn you in? I have a cabin in Wears Valley and plan on riding the lakes there this summer.
Thanks

Tim in TN

Seaman
I'm about as far from Wears Valley as you can get and stay in Tennessee. I'm in Millington. Most day trips are to Pickwick or sometimes Heber Springs in Arkansas. We do spend at least 1 week every summer at Dale Hollow, north of Cookeville. It's by far my favorite lake !
I haven't dug the boat out of storage yet but I'll send pics when I do. I might can dig up some photos of the Smart Tabs from when I installed them. The customer service folks are VERY helpful over the phone when picking out Smart Tabs. Do what they say and you won't go wrong.
Tim

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Tim. I have an office in Memphis which is closer to you than Wears Valley. I was up at Pickwick a few weeks ago just passing thru. I generally boat on the Tombigbee around Coffeeville AL. Would love to ride the river all the way up to Pickwick. I think smart tabs would be great but have to get over the drilling holes in a perfectly good transom.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tim, Did you insulate INSIDE the cooler? If not, how did you insulate the "outside"? How did you get to all of the areas. There seems to be a lot of spaces you just don't have access to in these things!

Bonus Check, two words...TRIM TABS!!!!!!!!! My boat porpoised and drifted all over the place before I got them. They are the absolute best investment I've made. Ride in Tims and you'll be amazed!

Tim in TN

Seaman
Bonus,
I had trouble drilling through my hull too. Have a drink before you tackle it. haha
And I work in Memphis, on Presidents Island.

GT,
I insulated the INSIDE of the cooler. 1/2 inch styrofoam board with a plastic film on each side. It's held up for years now. I left a nice big cut out around the drain plug to access it.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My firm has done some design work at the port of Memphis. I would love to do more. I will be in Memphis on the 14th for Memphis in May. Entertaining clients with BBQ for lunch and dinner.

My Q6 doesn't seem to porpoise on me unless I have the trim set wrong. As long as the trim is in the right spot it doesn't happen. The drift or wander when going slow does happen a lot but that seems to be a problem inherent with single drive boats. If trim tabs fix that problem, then I may reconsider installing trim tabs to help with loading the boat onto the trailer. If they provide additional benefits, that would be great.

I cooked out at the Bass Pro tonight prior to the State Ole Miss baseball game and had the PowerPro Manager come out for a burger when he got off work. It helps to know them personally when you call with a problem.

Tomorrow, I should pick up my Tahoe Wake tower with the new Bimini Top so I can get it re-installed on the boat. I plan on getting to the Tombigbee on Saturday. My boat is about dehydrated from being out of the water so long.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bonus Check, do you happen to have the length of the mighty lifts you used? I've got to replace mine as well. They weren't even on the boat when I bought it. I tried calling them but no answer. I've got plenty of auto parts stores around but I can't seem to find that model number. Thanks

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you! I've got to get brackets too but that's no biggie. I appreciate the link. Hopefully I can get them ordered today. I'm not liking all the rain we are getting but it's been a great time to get all the little projects on the boat done!

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you have to buy any mounting hardware or did you use the original hardware? I have no hardware whatsoever. Thanks, Greg

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nevermind. I actually ordered got everything ordered, hardware and all. Hoping it's in by the weekend. Thanks again for all your help.

ronq

Cadet
I know this thread is a little old, but the smart tabs made a huge difference on my 07 Q6. I installed them this spring and it made a huge difference with the low speed wondering. My boat would porpoise in mildly rough water or wakes and that has been minimal since installing the smart tabs.