Installed LED Lighting Strips on Q5

robnecciai

Cadet
After getting some good ideas on this forum, I decided to install strip lighting in the space under the gunnels on my Q5 to help illuminate the interior. It was fairly simple, quick, and painless. I thought I’d share.

I used the Flexible LED Lighting Strips (4) from Bass Pro Shops. They are each 26.9 inches long and are only $14.99 each. I used four of these so that I could run the length of the opening (including under the consoles) on both sides.

I spliced into the built-in courtesy lights to power the strips. The strip closest to the courtesy lights (toward the back) were spliced in using the leads on the strip. I ran separate lead wires to power the strips closer to the consoles (toward the front). I secured the splice points using marine-rated shrink tubing.

Although the lighting strips have sticky backing, the raw fiberglass under the gunnels affords very little in the way of smooth surface area. So, after applying the strips using the sticky backing (temporarily), I set the strips in several dabs of 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 to secure them to the fiberglass.

Attachments

• photo212314.jpg
    photo212314.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 4
  • photo212315.jpg
    photo212315.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 4

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for sharing. It's something I've wanted to do for a while - but other things tend to come up and seem to always push that down the list. I hope I can find this thread when I go to do it - seems like a quick, easy way to go.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just so you know, you can buy 16' LED waterproof strips for about the same price on eBay.

DK in MN

Cadet
Looks good. I recently bought LED strip lights from this site; http://inspiredled.com. I bought indoor lights to use in the house, but they also sell outdoor that will hook up to 12V DC. You can also get a dimmer that is kind of handy. They seem to know their stuff and seem to be a good company to order from.