Winterizing Q5 in NC

robnecciai

Cadet
I just took my Q5 into BPS for the 20-hour service and winterization. The service manager said that they will drain the water but that they do not fill with anti-freeze. He said that it's not needed because of the mild winters in North Carolina. Is that right?

I'm hoping that the Q5 will fit in my garage. If it does, this is a non-issue. However, if it does not fit, I'll be storing it outdoors. It does go below freezing in NC on occasion.

Just looking for some advice. Does anyone else here simply drain the water and not use anti-freeze for winter storage?

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well a good % of the folks on this forum (in mercruiser forum or I/O) don't ever use antifreeze (even in northern states where it gets to negative 20°F). If you drain the water, "air won't frreeze"... plus your layup in NC can't be very long so prolonged winterization isn't a internal corrossion issue really. I woudl drive the boat around some bumpy roads to help jossle any water leftover...

but generally the marina/dealer will know the proper way to drain all the water out of the engine, no worries.

oh if they left the drain plugs out make sure to spray some lube of some sort into the holes to help prevent rusting of the threads.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
My brother who lives in Minnesota only drains residual water and lower unit gear case fluid during their harsh winters and hasn't had any problems. He's been boating for over 30 years.

Last edited:

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I live in Fort Bragg. All I have done is pull the blue drain plugs.Lower the unit to the lowest point and that's it. Easy as Pie.i have the Q7 F&S. Notice I said Fish and ski, not ski and fish...lol