Q4 trolling motor

javabeaver

Cadet
I'm considering install a trolling motor on my 2013 q4i. At the dealer's I saw the SF model with 55 lb thrust minn kota. I wonder what is the top speed you can get on that in very calm water. I'm considering a 55lb or a 80lb MotorGuide xi5. 80lb won't give more power, but it's a 24v, so extra battery takes space and also heavy. Any input is appreciated.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
I have Q7i with a Motorguide 70 lbs. thrust which has ample pulling power and decent speed but during windy conditions it's not as powerful as I want. Going with a 80 lbs. thrust on the Q4 shouldn't be a problem. Just keep in mind the extra long shaft can be a hassle to release and pull back up.

javabeaver

Cadet
Thanks for the information. Q4 is much smaller than Q7. the engine compartment is much smaller. An extra battery would be a hassle. Also Q4 is about half the weight of a Q7. If you can pull a Q7 with 70lb motor, I'm probably fine with a 55lb. Could you let me know what is your top speed using the trolling motor if no wind or current. Thanks.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
I've never measured speed and the boat is stored for the winter. If I had to guess, it would be between 5-8 mph.

javabeaver

Cadet
I'll be happen if I can get 3 mph on it. It looks like 55lb would be more than what I need. Thank you so much for the information.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
You may want to mount a quick release to remove the troll motor when not in use for security reasons or when using boat for water sports.

Last edited: