Bilge Pump and float switch question.

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was having issues with bilge pump, and was able to locate it and pull it out. when I was trying to get to the pump I noticed another little black box mounted about 6 inches away from the pump. didn't think much about it till after I had the pump out and was looking for the exact pump. I had seen that they also sell this pump with a float switch that looks just like the box I located by the pump. I know I have to have the key in the on position and then flip the bilge switch on for the pump to kick on, but how does the float switch work.? when I was testing the pump there was no water in the bilge at all. Could the float be ran off the battery? Or maybe the little black box is not a float switch and is something else.

I know my pump is bad because the only way I could get it to work is by spinning the propeller then it would start right up.

My pump is a Johnson 1000 gph pump

tpenfield

Staff member
The float switch also turns on the pump, and that circuit should be a direct connect to the battery. The rocker switch at the helm is to manually turn the pump in and that requires the battery switch ( or ignition ) to be on

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Perfect thank you. That is how I thought it was hooked up, just wasn't sure. However, I'm going to guess the float switch does not work since I had to turn on the pump to drain the bilge, or maybe the water level has to be higher to turn it on. I will play around with it when I get the new pump, now that I know its there.