2007 Q6 with 4.3L MPI

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I test drove one yesterday that I'm considering buying. Here's my question. Are these boats fairly difficult to trim out at first? It seemed very touchy to me to get it in the right place. I'm planning on adding the smart tabs and likely change the prop to something that has more low end if I end up buying it. Just want to make sure this is fairly usual before I make the plunge.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
To give a little advice, I was used to a 1997 Monterey 18 footer with a 4.3 carbed engine. It came out of the water slowly but would just lag if it wasn't trimmed up when it should be. It just seems a lot different than the 2007 Tahoe with a MPI motor. Noticing such a difference makes me wonder. Any ideas?

Tim in TN

Seaman
I have a 2006 Q6 with the 5.0 carb motor and trimming did seem a little touchy. I installed smart tabs and it is such a different boat now, much better.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Tim. I'm calling them today to get the adapters then when I get the boat I will pick up the smart tabs! I'm ready to get on the water.

DK in MN

Cadet
I have a 2007 Q4 with the 4.3 MPI, new to us this summer. I find myself messing with the trim quite a bit to get the ride right. But what has been driving me crazy is the wander at slow speeds, it requires constant adjustment with the steering wheel. I think it's a known fact of life in this boat, but I've also heard Smart Tabs will help this a lot. Just seems like the rounded stern on these boats would make it difficult to install the tabs. I'd love to add them but am still a little squeamish about drilling holes in the boat and finding I might not actually be able to install them.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the boat yesterday and by last night I changed out the 3-blade, 21 pitch prop for a 4-blade, 20 pitch prop (both aluminum, new is an alpha4) and put on smart tabs. I'm watching the clock to make sure the adhesive has it's full 24 hours to cure then I'm taking that baby out on the water tonight. We'll see how this goes!

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
WOW! Yes, Smart Tabs really are all that they are cracked up to be! TOTALLY DIFFERENT BOAT! From take off the nose didn't raise straight up and the power was directed forward instead of upward. The water was kind of choppy so didn't really get a chance to trim it out optimally at WOT. We were running low 40's mph wise and max RPM was only about 4200. I'll have to test a little more on smoother water. I might put the smart tabs down one notch in the morning and see what happens with the porpoising and the top speed. I'm now really fond of this boat! More to come soon!

DK in MN

Cadet
Any chance you can post a picture? I'd like to see exactly where you mounted the tabs.

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update! I wasted the 14x20 pitch Alpha 4 on a low spot in the lake and replaced it with a Michigan Wheel Vortex 14x20. Unfortunately it doesn't have the pulling power of the 14x20 Alpha 4 but it sure runs smooth otherwise and kicks the RPM's up to around 46-4700. I'm pretty sure this will be my "cruising prop". But, since it doesn't have the power to pull me up on slalom, I ordered an 14 1/2 x 18 pitch Alpha 4 that will come in tomorrow. I absolutely plan to ski on it this weekend. I now totally see the need for multiple props. Unfortunately for my boat, the majority of it's work will be pulling my big rearend behind it!

gt2003

Petty Officer 1st Class
14 1/2x18 pitch Alpha 4 has done the trick consistently! At WOT it's kicked the RPM's up to just over 4800 which is the top end of rpm range. It's also got the "oomph" to get my 225 lb behind pulled out of the water on slalom. I used the Mercury Marine websites "prop selector" program and was very happy with the results. Hope it works as well for you all as it did for me!