2014 Q4i SF

JJ_EOD

Recruit
Hello everyone. I'm Josh and new to the forum and I've got some questions about the Q4i SF that I'm hoping someone may have some insights on. I live near Destin,FL and I love to fish out here in the bay. I've been using a kayak and it has gotten really old because I want to get into the deeper waters and start pulling in deeper fish. I've recently ordered the Q4i SF because I've never actually owned a boat before ands out want to spend much money on something I may very well destroy (although I plan on taking immaculate care of it). My question is this: will the Q4i do well in the bay out here, or should it be used strictly as a lake boat? I haven't bought it yet, so is till have time to change my financing and everything to something bigger like the Q5 or something if I need to. But I'm hoping I won't have to do that. Thanks in advance, everyone. I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum, should I really get into boating!

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like you don't have much boat experience - so i would be very hesitant to recommend the q4 for bay/ocean going. The front bow of a Tahoe is very low which makes things a little touchy in surf IMO. A q5 doesn't get you much in actual size IMO because most of the size is the back deck i think.

Make sure you go in fair weather... and do lots of lake trips first to become a boat pro.

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
would get the Q7SF. if im not mistaken the q4 is a 15 foot boat. that's kinda small for an ocean boat.

Hello everyone. I'm Josh and new to the forum and I've got some questions about the Q4i SF that I'm hoping someone may have some insights on. I live near Destin,FL and I love to fish out here in the bay. I've been using a kayak and it has gotten really old because I want to get into the deeper waters and start pulling in deeper fish. I've recently ordered the Q4i SF because I've never actually owned a boat before ands out want to spend much money on something I may very well destroy (although I plan on taking immaculate care of it). My question is this: will the Q4i do well in the bay out here, or should it be used strictly as a lake boat? I haven't bought it yet, so is till have time to change my financing and everything to something bigger like the Q5 or something if I need to. But I'm hoping I won't have to do that. Thanks in advance, everyone. I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum, should I really get into boating!

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I agree, the ocean is not to toy with. Please get some experience in boating before taking it out in the ocean/bay/ intercostal waterway. There are rules you will need to lean. just like driving a vehicle. take the free boaters safety course online at www.boatus.com also get a radio and get your MMSI too.

Sounds like you don't have much boat experience - so i would be very hesitant to recommend the q4 for bay/ocean going. The front bow of a Tahoe is very low which makes things a little touchy in surf IMO. A q5 doesn't get you much in actual size IMO because most of the size is the back deck i think.

Make sure you go in fair weather... and do lots of lake trips first to become a boat pro.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer
would get the Q7SF. if im not mistaken the q4 is a 15 foot boat. that's kinda small for an ocean boat.

Q4 pre 2006 is 19 foot and post is 20 foot.
Still has a very low bow so you'd have to be wary of taking it out in the open sea.

Personally, I wouldn't. I've had some scary moments in relatively mild conditions off the coast here with 1m waves.

Be careful my friend.

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Q4 pre 2006 is 19 foot and post is 20 foot.
Still has a very low bow so you'd have to be wary of taking it out in the open sea.

Personally, I wouldn't. I've had some scary moments in relatively mild conditions off the coast here with 1m waves.

Be careful my friend.

Ive taken my 17 foot StarCraft SF170 out about 25 miles out of the Seward Bay in Alaska. However I am extremely experienced. Its all about the weather.