Q7i Bilge Water

USS MINNOW

Seaman
I've got a 2011 Q7i, 5.0 Mercruiser. What would you think would be a normal amount of water in the bilge would be after a couple of hours moving? It seems to take on much more than my 2011 Q5 did. I have not measured the amount but after a couple of hours, I'll flip on the bilge pump and would say it pumps for close to a minute pretty steady. Just curious as to where I should be looking for trouble, (if any)?

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
A decent method for checking the various thru hull plugs/connections... is filling up boat with some water in the driveway... and seeing where water comes out.

otherwise another common source of water is one of the many water filled hoses... feel around for water on the pipes (by hose clamps) while out in the boat.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2010 Q7i and I found that some gorilla at the factory tightened both the thru hull fittings were tightened to the point both were cracked. I made my own using schedule 80 nipples and screw on fittings. I cut the screw on fittings down to the hex part of the fitting. I also used liberal amounts of sealant when I installed them. The factory fittings look like they are metal, but they are in fact plastic covered in a very thin chrome (or chrome looking paint). After I fixed these, I get zero water from normal boating. Hope this helps!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Old thread and Minnow hasn't been around in a year. Please do not post in old threads. Thanks.