New to group - Question on Towing Q5i

robnecciai

Cadet
Hi all. I'm new to the group and this is my first post. The wife and I decided on a Q5i (2013 or 2014). We'll be getting this in about two weeks. I'm curious to know the smallest vehicle that can be used to tow the boat. We currently have a 24ft pontoon without a trailer (docked in the water). I'm looking forward to being able to tow the boat to different lakes. However, we have two fairly small vehicles: 2014 Prius (certainly a no-go for towing) and a 4-cyl. Highlander.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well although there are trailer brakes to help with stopping.... weight is weight. Looks like with the V-6 you get 5k capacity on towing, couldn't find the 4 banger cap.

The package weight of the Q5 is around 3,258 lbs - i would add another 100lbs at least for gear and such.

I feel like with my Outlook that i am on the low end personally... i would drive very slow, overdrive off, not on hot days, downhill both ways.... change tranny fluid often.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard. towing capacity for your highlander will dictate if you can tow. your package weight as stated is 3300#, however add fuel, two coolers gear etc. and you will be close to 4000#. a V6 highlander has a 5000# towing capacity, however I think the 4 cylinder only has 2000#.