My friend helped me install a 8" Bazooka sub in my boat

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer
Well I had bought my son a 8" bazooka sub for his tuck a few years back and since then he has moved on to bigger subs. I thought I would surprise the wife and have the sub installed in the boat. So my buddy came over and jumped at the chance to install the sub..since he used to love doing electronics etc. when we were young. After installing the sub we tried it out and it didn't sound right, and then blew the 5 amp fuse.

So we went to Walmart for some fuses and when I got back I realized my friend had drilled 4 screws through the gelcoat on the side of my pristine boat!!!!:facepalm:

$470 later it has been repaired. The guy doing the repair did an excellent job of matching the black gelcoat and you cannot see where the damage was unless you are really looking.

This picture is of the 4 stews damage. They did not go all the way through rather they pushed out the gelcoat from the inside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: My friend helped me install a 8" Bazooka sub in my boat

Sure hope the booming sound was worth it... That would make me angry for both installing a booming tube in the first place AND the damage to the boat itself. But to each their own. I go to the lake for some peace and quiet and some relaxation to get away from the noise and hustle and bustle of everyday life....

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

So........did you have a question about the sub........or are you just warning us about letting your friend anywhere near a boat with a drill?

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ouch that sucks.. where did you end up putting the sub?

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Well after all of that the sub sounded blown. :face palm:

We ended up removing the sub so all was for not. I guess the moral of the story would be don't let your friend near your boat with a drill...lol After this while fiasco I think I will just put in some Infinity 6 1/2 marine speakers instead. They should have enough bass for what wee need.

Here are the pics of the repair process:

Original damage

Just after grinding the gelcoat away and the beginning process of adding fiberglass

The sanding of the gelcoat before the color etc. (wow the spot looks to be getting bigger!)

Finally the repaired gelcoat!

In the final picture you can barely see an outline of the repair and honestly I did not know if it would turn out in the picture like it did. Looking straight at it normally you really cannot tell at all unless you were right up close to it and knew to look for a faint outline. The guy did a great job of repairing it.

I am nt mad at my best friend at all...he did not intend to damage the boat and we have been friends since high school and joined the military together (back in 86). He feels really bad about it and offered to pay for the damage which I doubt I will accept.

I suppose the real moral of the story is make sure where you are drilling in your nice boat is not going through the gelcoat!

:fish2:

Last edited:

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bet if you used a little compound around the area and feathered it out a little more you wouldn't be able to tell at all.

Looks good.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I bet if you used a little compound around the area and feathered it out a little more you wouldn't be able to tell at all.

Looks good.

Yes that is exactly what I will be doing maybe tomorrow. I know I can get it polished better than what he did.

midcarolina

Chief Petty Officer

Not that you would want to mess with the sub again.........but do you have a good amp with a low pass filter driving the sub?

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Not that you would want to mess with the sub again.........but do you have a good amp with a low pass filter driving the sub?

The sub has it's own built in 100 watt amp.

DK in MN

Cadet

Personally I'd agree with gm280. The last place I want to hear someone else's music is on a lake.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Personally I'd agree with gm280. The last place I want to hear someone else's music is on a lake.

Yep i can understand that...I mainly want it when we are driving at speed. When we are anchored etc. I don't bast my music.