Has anyone added any switches to their boat?

JK Turtle

Cadet
I am adding a couple of accessories to the boat that I got for christmas, and I need to add a couple of more switches. Just curious as to where people have been mounting them. I got 2 underwater lights that I will use for fishing purposes, some led strip lights that I will install on the inside since the courtesy lights suck, and some lights in the livewell. As of now, the livewell light is tapped in to the courtesy lights, but might want them seperate, not sure yet. I might add some rocker switches in front of the throttle, or to the left of the steering wheel. I will also do a write up on the livewell light, the led strip lights, and the underwater lights once I start installing things.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Has anyone added any switches to their boat?

Questions like this need some pics and what kind of boat did you get for Christmas? Know what I mean? :)

tpenfield

Staff member

You got a boat for Christmas !?!? (sweet)

General guidelines for where to mount a switch would include:

- Available instrument / utility panel space.

- Proximity of power and/or ground leads.

- Ease of wiring to/from the switch & device location.

- Most useful/functional location for the switch.

So, no single answer, but often free space on the instrument panel is where folks look to first. Additionally, sometimes with extra lighting, it may make sense in some instances to combine the new lighting with the circuitry of existing lighting, avoiding the need for a separate switch.

You will ultimately have to make these decisions.

JK Turtle

Cadet

Sorry, I worded that wrong. I didn't get the boat for christmas, I got some accessories for it for christmas. I wish I could of gotten a boat for christmas, that way I wouldn't of had to go behind the g/f's back and buy it without her knowing :eek:. And the life long argument over it started lol. I've thought about all of that, just was wanting to see pictures of what others have done because I don;t want it to look cheaply done.

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was going to say.. Wow a boat for Christmas!!

What brand of LED's do you get? I'm also interested on where you can find switches that match the Tahoe Q6 dash. What model boat do you have?

JK Turtle

Cadet

I got some Philips leds that they had at target in the Christmas light section. I also got some T-H marine underwater lights that I need to wire up that I got from Overton. The led strip light I might just wire up to the courtesy light switch because it comes with a remote so I can turn them off if I want. The underwater lights I would like on a different suit h though. I have a '10 Q5 so I'm not sure if our switches are the same or not. What does yours looks like? I know Overton has a bunch of different kinds of switches. I will be doing a few write ups pretty soon. The led strip I'll try to do a write up on it on Thursday when I wire them up. This is the led strip that I got

20131227_071318_zpsc3cc2990.jpg

Last edited:

Im Lon 2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a pic of the switches on the 2008 Q6

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

A nice place to get custom rockers and switches like these:

Rockers.jpg

are at: https://otrattw.com/products.php?cat=10

They will make up just about anything you want from color, type of switch and icon or design on the switch. I used them for my boat and was very happy. you can just call them if you gave any questions directly at:

(408)253-5337 They are super helpful too.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

If you don't want to cut a hole in the dash, which I did not want to do, i mounted them under the dash. Not as convenient but easy to install.