Cracked cavitation plate

SSpencer

Recruit
This being my first post here I hope this isn't considered a dumb question. :)

I am considering purchasing a 2009 Q5i that is in perfect condition (one owner) except for one major area. A portion of the left side of the cavitation plate is broken off. How critical is this part of the engine in relation to performance and control/stability? I'll be adding the Nauticus smart tabs first thing if I buy the boat. I've had an I/O engine and have never had a partially broken cavitation plate.

Thanks!!

Scott

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cracked cavitation plate

It depends on the break. Do you know how the plate broke? I have seen them break after placement of the hydrofoil stabilizers. Can you post some pics of it.

SSpencer

Recruit

I don't have a pic but my daughters friend, who is the lead mechanic at Airport Marine here close to home, has seen it and said he has someone who can weld/repair it, paint it, and make it look as good as new for about $180-$200. Not sure how it cracked and broke off but I'll find out more specifics Sat morning.

I sincerely thank you for taking the time to respond.

Scott

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds like it was the skeg and the repair should be just that easy :)

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hit a submerged log last summer and snapped of about 8" of the cavitation plate on the left side. The boat was new to me so I had the insurance cover it and replace the lower unit casing ($1,700 ouch). The mechanic told me they could pull it apart and send the casing out to be welded and painted for around $500. Apparently they make cavitation plate pieces just for this. Because of the way mine was broken, he advised to not have it welded