Tahoe Q7i Expected Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

USS MINNOW

Seaman
Just curious as to what speeds I might expect from my Q7? 5.0. It's in the breaking in stage right now. Going on 3 hrs. I opened it up after 2 hrs for a short spurt and got about 56.

I was getting 62/63 in my Q5 with a 4.3.

Merely curious as to others and why.

Thanks

revkev6

Seaman
Re: Tahoe Q7i Expected Speed

Just curious as to what speeds I might expect from my Q7? 5.0. It's in the breaking in stage right now. Going on 3 hrs. I opened it up after 2 hrs for a short spurt and got about 56.

I was getting 62/63 in my Q5 with a 4.3.

Merely curious as to others and why.

Thanks

my 2010 with the 220hp carbed 5.0 (bought as a leftover last year) I have had up to 52 so far. probably could get a bit more out of it but I am right at 4800 RPM at 52 indicated.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Are you guys talking GPS speed or pitot speed?

revkev6

Seaman

indicated means on the gage/pitot. I haven't checked the GPS.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Right, those are fast boats. They walk right past my sig boat.

USS MINNOW

Seaman

Same. Going by gauge. Mine is a leftover 2011 5.0, 260 HP. Still breaking it in.

revkev6

Seaman

that mpi 5.0 is a nice motor for that boat! wish I had it in mine.

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

I have the 5.0 MPI 220hp engine...and when I had an aluminum 19p 3 blade I could get in the low 50's. Just switched to a 15p 4 blade stainless and went 46.

These speeds were determined using gps.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I have the 5.0 MPI 220hp engine...and when I had an aluminum 19p 3 blade I could get in the low 50's. Just switched to a 15p 4 blade stainless and went 46.

These speeds were determined using gps.

Plus if it's MPI you have 270hp.

revkev6

Seaman

Plus if it's MPI you have 270hp.

actually it's 260hp for the mpi 5.0... crazy that the put a 2 barrel carb on the non injected 5.0 probably losing 25hp and fuel economy because of it!

jkust

Rear Admiral

actually it's 260hp for the mpi 5.0... crazy that the put a 2 barrel carb on the non injected 5.0 probably losing 25hp and fuel economy because of it!

Amazing what the different intake can do too. The VP is 270 you are correct. I always round it up with the 5.0.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Q7i 5.0MPI 260HP will go 53 GPS with just me in the boat and fairly calm water. I changed the prop for a little better hole shot and lost tad of top end speed. The tabs brought some of it back. Either way its plenty fast and I rarely go to WOT but its there if I need it.

BiggerDee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, they aren't speed boats, so anything above 50 is lightning fast.

My 2011 Q7ssi runs a max of 55 (GPS) in ideal conditions (slight chop. Smooth water is bad for speed, you want some slight chop to get air under the hull and reduce drag). I have the carbed 5.0 TKS engine. I run a 19p Vengeance SS prop. What helps a LOT is having the Nauticus SX trim tabs. They work to keep the boat up out of the water where there's less drag. They mainly do their thing at low speeds, to help in planning, but I find that they do that little extra bit even on the top end.
My boat's speedo always shows about 3-4MPH higher than the GPS in my chartplotter does.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Well, they aren't speed boats, so anything above 50 is lightning fast.

My 2011 Q7ssi runs a max of 55 (GPS) in ideal conditions (slight chop. Smooth water is bad for speed, you want some slight chop to get air under the hull and reduce drag). I have the carbed 5.0 TKS engine. I run a 19p Vengeance SS prop. What helps a LOT is having the Nauticus SX trim tabs. They work to keep the boat up out of the water where there's less drag. They mainly do their thing at low speeds, to help in planning, but I find that they do that little extra bit even on the top end.
My boat's speedo always shows about 3-4MPH higher than the GPS in my chartplotter does.

You know I thought the trim tabs would help with top end and sadly so far they do not. I used to show an indicated 59 MPH on my 2011 Q7i before installing the tabs...now I am lucky to see 54 indicated. I have the tabs in the middle hole...I should try them at the second hole and see if it helps the top end, otherwise the tabs are great!

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a good speed. I can get 52 fully loaded (wife 2 kids, fishing gear)with the stock prop. That is WOT (Wide open throttle)

Jason

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

That is a good speed. I can get 52 fully loaded (wife 2 kids, fishing gear)with the stock prop. That is WOT (Wide open throttle)

Jason

I am running a Mercury Enertia 20P 3 blade prop...I would expect it to do 55 on GPS trimmed up.

BiggerDee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't expect anything above 55 on my Q7 with the Vengeance 19p due to the fact that I bump the rev limiter if I'm in ideal conditions (slight chop) and leave it at WOT. Since no one in their right mind would run WOT for any amount of time, the 19p gives me great power out of the hole with no bow rise (due to the tabs), and a nice top cruising spped, with a burst of top end power when needed. I can't beat a lot of bass boats, but many are shocked to see my pass them, or at least run the same speed, especially in bad water where my V-hull shines and they have to back off a bit to keep from getting beat to death! :)

Besides, the loud whining noise at WOT (My wife, griping at me for going so fast and telling me to slow down) can get annoying in a hurry!! ;-) My father raced hydroplanes and going fast is in my blood!

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I could probably get 55 if I dump all the excess gear...IE Wife and Kids...Keeping the fishing gear. Just joking.

BiggerDee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I thought the same thing. Wasn't going to SAY it, but since you already have... :)

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These boats are made to run WOT. It even says so in the manual. However, your GPH will be quite a bit..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.