tahoe Q7i questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

revkev6

Seaman
Hey guys, first post so a little background. I purchased a leftover 2010 tahoe Q7i last summer. it was a zero time brand new boat. got a good deal on it as it had some showroom wear on the interior. all pieces with wear are being replaced for this spring at no charge (obviously). its a 5.0 TKS. As of now it is completely factory. my first ride out the dealer had not done the coolant manifold recall which resulted in a tow back on my first launch (on the first day of my vacation too). I had specifically asked about recalls when picked up. Irate phone call later got me free winterize, wrap, winter outdoor storage, summerization and a spare tire/mount. not too shabby. got the recall done at the nearest mercruiser dealer too so I got it back within 2 days!

anyway! I had a couple questions about what other tahoe owners are doing! First off is where are you putting your anchor!! I have no room for an anchor in the bow and have to put it in the side storage area. complete pain! have to walk it up to the front of the boat to anchor, rope not secured! I hate it!

storage (do you see a pattern here) are any of you making use of the engine compartment as a storage locker?? any thoughts or ideas?? I put a couple self stick hooks back there to loosely hold a plastic bin. seems to work ok but it's definitely temporary and hokey looking.

battery! I'm looking to add a second battery so I don't worry about the radio draining it down. anyone have pictures of their dual battery setups?? I was thinking of putting the second battery on the opposite side from the stock battery. the q7 has the slide back jump seat on the other side that will probably be just big enough for a battery. thinking of using some sort of automatic charging circuit as well.

more of a general question, do any of you have the remote stereo control at the stern?? I saw it is available for like $35 with the cable for my jenson head unit. I was wondering where it mounts stock?? does it replace one of the vent grills?? General feedback on them?? Also thinking of adding the satellite radio package or maybe just using an MP3 player.

20120811120059774.jpg

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tahoe Q7i questions

I put my anchor in the storage locker in the floor....the anchor storage in the bow is useless. As far as dual batteries, I don't know. I have ran 1 battery for years without issue. I just bought a new optima dual purpose blue top battery. It has the cranking amps needed along with the deep cycle for running the radio. I always start the boat every 1-1.5 hours and let it run for 5 minutes when I am hanging out though.

revkev6

Seaman

I put my anchor in the storage locker in the floor....the anchor storage in the bow is useless. As far as dual batteries, I don't know. I have ran 1 battery for years without issue. I just bought a new optima dual purpose blue top battery. It has the cranking amps needed along with the deep cycle for running the radio. I always start the boat every 1-1.5 hours and let it run for 5 minutes when I am hanging out though.

are you anchoring the uh... anchor in the storage locker?? I don't like it bouncing around. I actually have the anchor clipped into one of my fishing rod holders now. keeps it in place but it's a royal pain because it's dirty and the rope doesn't have a "place" to be.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just lay it on top of the rope. It doesn't seem to bounce around, if it does I can't tell.

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bad idea to have it near the motor. one rough wave or bounce and it hits the motor while running...not good. I have mine I the starboard bow locker, a 15 pound Danforth works fine with 100 feet of anchor line. the hatch closes completely and does fine.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

We have ours in the floor storage as well....we also have a 15 lb. Danforth with 100' of rope. It lays on the extra orange life jackets and has no issues with bouncing around. I also have the 3 ' of chain coming off the anchor to help allow it to unhook.

As far as radio controls...I will be purchasing one of these:

$(KGrHqJ,!oQE9fivOIzPBPkzkppNDw~~60_35.JPG

Jensen MRF27 Wireless Remote Model MRF27 | eBay

They work with Jensen stereos and they are waterproof and float. There are a lot of times it would be nice to increase or decrease the stereo while we are floating around in the water and this remote should allow that to happen...not to mention being able to adjust it from the helm.

There are some here that do use the engine compartment as storage on either side for items like life jackets etc.

Congrats on your purchase! You should really think about putting some smart tabs on your boat. They will stop the v hull wander at slow speeds, allow you to get on plane MUCH quicker, almost eliminate bow rise, and they also make your boat turn much better at speed.

Here is the link to my install:

http://forums.iboats.com/tahoe-boats/2011-tahoe-q7i-smart-tabs-install-577672.html

Happy boating and welcome to the forum!

saintv90

Seaman Apprentice

Good looking Q7i! I second the smart tabs...they are needed on these boats. I like that wireless stereo remote...might have to get something like that.Wireless

Kcherc130

Recruit

I have a 2011 5Qi so my $0.02 may not help but I installed a second battery for the same reason you want to and it was fairly easy. I purchase most of the parts from a local auto parts store to include the deep well battery, except for the multi-battery switch which I bought from West Marine. I opted to get the switch that I can isolate either battery 1, battery 2, or both.
I moved the factory installed battery and re-installed it under the protective plastic sleeve for the slide away cushion that reveals the walkway; again I have a 5Qi not a 7Qi. I installed my second battery next to it encasing both batteries in their respective battery boxes vice the battery tray that the dealership installed. The batteries are better protected now, completely out of sight and I reclaimed the entire starboard side of my engine compartment for storage. I would definitely recommend a second battery--I no longer worry about running the stereo radio while the kids play in the water for up to 8 hours.
I also cut and shaped 2 pieces of treated 3/4" plywood and installed to encase the engine on both sides and have now claimed a boat load of storage space that I can now use while the engine is running without having to worry. Again, I highly recommend the second battery and engine compartmentalization. I did both by myself at the cost of 24 man-hours and about $200.:plane:
________________________________________________________________________________
2011 5Qi Sport 4.3 TKS

magiaone

Cadet

As a fellow victim of not having the Manifold recall performed when i bought new - I know your pain - mine happened 1 mile off the coast in Lake Michigan.............

I have a Q8i so i have the fwd anchor storage locker, however, I just purchased a small anchor to stop the boat drifting when anchored with the main one, it ll fit in the same locker.

As for dual batteries, I went with the Bass Pro (20% off for 3 yrs, 1 yr added for the manifold) dual battery charger, a Bass Pro XPS heavy deep cycle battery and battery base, installed these in a couple of hours and now I have the radio working off one and just the engine crank off the new deep cycle.

Items i am waiting to finish, I have the Red and White like you, I got the aluminum diamond plate parts on the trailer powder coated bright white, the alum tarnishes in the outdoors (its stored inside in the winter) and its a pain to keep looking good. They are only riveted on so its a simple upgrade, $90 for the 6 pieces, blasted and dipped.

I have the Sony with Kicker system, but I am looking to add the stern mounted remote - it already comes with a hand held remote.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My 2008 has a great bow anchor storage and came with the anchor which works great. I also have room for a second battery (I keep one back there charged but not hooked up) right next to the factory one. I have no room to store anything in the engine compartment because of the design in my model year. I hate it when they change a good design.

revkev6

Seaman

As a fellow victim of not having the Manifold recall performed when i bought new - I know your pain - mine happened 1 mile off the coast in Lake Michigan.............

I have a Q8i so i have the fwd anchor storage locker, however, I just purchased a small anchor to stop the boat drifting when anchored with the main one, it ll fit in the same locker.

As for dual batteries, I went with the Bass Pro (20% off for 3 yrs, 1 yr added for the manifold) dual battery charger, a Bass Pro XPS heavy deep cycle battery and battery base, installed these in a couple of hours and now I have the radio working off one and just the engine crank off the new deep cycle.

Items i am waiting to finish, I have the Red and White like you, I got the aluminum diamond plate parts on the trailer powder coated bright white, the alum tarnishes in the outdoors (its stored inside in the winter) and its a pain to keep looking good. They are only riveted on so its a simple upgrade, $90 for the 6 pieces, blasted and dipped.

I have the Sony with Kicker system, but I am looking to add the stern mounted remote - it already comes with a hand held remote.

I actually think I read about your coolant manifold incident when I bought the boat. I had asked if they did the recalls and was told all was set! when it blew I knew exactly what the problem was!

I just picked up the boat yesterday from basspro in foxborough and they actually did a great job with everything. they even forgot to take out their battery they used to fire the motor off so I now have a second battery! just need to pick up the other bits to install it! splashed her today and she ran like a top couldn't be happier to be back on the water!!

revkev6

Seaman

I have a 2011 5Qi so my $0.02 may not help but I installed a second battery for the same reason you want to and it was fairly easy. I purchase most of the parts from a local auto parts store to include the deep well battery, except for the multi-battery switch which I bought from West Marine. I opted to get the switch that I can isolate either battery 1, battery 2, or both.
I moved the factory installed battery and re-installed it under the protective plastic sleeve for the slide away cushion that reveals the walkway; again I have a 5Qi not a 7Qi. I installed my second battery next to it encasing both batteries in their respective battery boxes vice the battery tray that the dealership installed. The batteries are better protected now, completely out of sight and I reclaimed the entire starboard side of my engine compartment for storage. I would definitely recommend a second battery--I no longer worry about running the stereo radio while the kids play in the water for up to 8 hours.
I also cut and shaped 2 pieces of treated 3/4" plywood and installed to encase the engine on both sides and have now claimed a boat load of storage space that I can now use while the engine is running without having to worry. Again, I highly recommend the second battery and engine compartmentalization. I did both by myself at the cost of 24 man-hours and about $200.:plane:
________________________________________________________________________________
2011 5Qi Sport 4.3 TKS

I like every one of your ideas! I was looking in the boat yesterday and came to realize that the only thing that will fit on the port side of the engine bay with that slide back seat cushion is batteries and if I am doing a dual battery setup I should put them both over there.

do you have pictures of the plywood you put back there?? right now I have a Tupperware bin bungee corded in the back

BiggerDee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I keep my anchor in the small storage area under the jump seat. I put a spare beach towel in there first, and they lay my vinyl-coated Navy anchor (20lb, if I remember correctly) on it. That protects the hull, and I have a spare towel, if needed. I drop anchor, and then tie the rope to a Black Diamond brand locking gate climbing carabiner ($8) which I clip to the bow eye. Easy and quick.
I have the (Jensen) stereo remote, but I have it installed near the throttle so that I can control the stereo while driving. I plan on installing another near the swim deck (you can have multiple remote control units, with the adapter).
I don't use the engine compartment for storage. I know that many do without problems, but I just don't want anything flammable in there with the hot engine, not to mention the open serpentine belt. Just my personal preference. So far, I have been able to easily stow everything that I need in the normal storage areas.
I have had my Q7SSi for 2 years now, and have never had an issue with the battery running down from the stereo. Without amps, I think that you would have to run it near full volume for a long time to even dent the battery. Since the engine has an alternator, I'd save the cash and trouble and just run the engine for 10-15 minutes every 3 or so hours to put a quick charge on it. The gar required to haul that extra battery around would get you in the long run too. I'd probably consider finding a place for a small, high quality (powerful) solar panel to top off the battery's charge before I'd put in an additional battery, but that's just my opinion. With a high quality battery like an Optima, I'm almost positive that you'd be fine with just one.

If you haven't done it yet, and haven't been hounded to do so here, definitely add the Nauticus Smart Tabs. They will make the boat perform like a dream, and you will be much happier with it.

Good luck!

bjlakatos

Cadet

P1010149.jpgP1010150.jpgP1010145.jpgP1010151.jpgP1010146.jpgI got a 2010 q7 new in 2012. Other than some carb problems, it has been running great. I did want to chime in on the conversation though;

Anchor Storage: I keep mine in an old soft cooler bag under the floor. the thickness of the cooler bag keeps it from banging around

Storage in the engine compartment: I too have been using command strip hooks to strap down plastic bins. The plywood idea sounds much better. Can you drill and screw into that rear deck area on either side of the engine? I would really like to see a pic of this. Thanks for the idea.

2nd Battery: Like others in the thread, I wanted to get a 2nd battery so I would never get stuck. I purchased a perko switch and battery tray. When taking it down to the dealer for warranty service. I asked them to mount the switch and tray. (I was afraid to drill, hence question above). I located the 2nd battery close to the first battery and put the perko switch on the vertical wall in between both batteries. I will try to post a pic. The dealer wanted $500 to rig a 2nd battery, my install was less than $100. As far as usage, I use one battery in the morning and then switch to the 2nd battery in the afternoon. This way both batteries get used and charged every trip out.

Perko switch $40 Perko 8501DP Marine Battery Selector Switch : Amazon.com : Automotive
Energizer start battery $63 at sams slub
Cables $5 ea: I used the 4 gage battery cables in the auto battery section at walmart. the cables are for lawn tractors and are the perfect length. Note, I don't do saltwater but if I did, I would get the sealed cables for $30 each.

Remote stereo control: I was surprised to find that the Jensen radio on my boat had lots of capability for remotes and Ipod inputs. I chose the wireless remote and added a Ipod connector. I don't seem to get good FM reception on the lake so I just keep an ipod in the glove box all the time. I have tried powered and unpowered FM antennas with marginal success. I just installed the powered antenna and still evaluating it.

Jensen Marine MRF27 Waterproof Wireless RF Remote $70
Jensen Marine JIPDCBL12 iPod Interface Cable $25
Jensen Marine AN150SR AM/FM Amplified Antenna $25

Remote Trim Tabs: When I went to the dealer to get a new prop (problem was I could not pull a 170lb slolam skier up out of the water) they suggested that I try the hydrofoil first. While I have not had a chance to test the slolam skier yet, the boat does come to plane almost instantly. I had no stability problems before or after installation of the foil so no data points there. I would like to hear if anyone has direct experience with both the foil and the tabs.

SE Sport 300 Hydrofoil $60
Amazon.com: SE Sport 300 Hydrofoil: Sports & Outdoors

Bilge: I had a situation the other day where the bilge was running and no water was pumping out. I looked for leafs and other debris around the strainer and it seemed to be clean. I thought the pump was shot so I got a replacement. What I found is that the pump installed on my boat was a cartridge type which means it removes from the strainer basket with a push of a tab and twist. Of course I didn't know this until I ordered a new pump and was able to see it outside the boat so I could figure it out. Sure enough, after I bought one mine started to work again. I think there was debris inside the strainer basket that prevented the pump from running. It is good to know that the pump can be removed for quick inspection/cleaning and replacement if necessary without removeing the basket from the floor.

Johnson Pump Cartridge Bilge Pump 500 GPH: $25
Amazon.com: Johnson Pump Compact Cartridge Bilge Pump (500 GPH 12V): Sports & Outdoors

Bow Stop Roller The next change I made to the boat was to add a new bow stop roller. The stock roller seemed to be sticking to the gel coat. this one does not.

Stoltz Ultimate Bow Stop Roller $30
Amazon.com: Stoltz Ultimate Bow Stop Roller: Sports & Outdoors

Trailer Guides: I put these on to help my wife and son guide the boat on the trailer. I don't think they are strong enough to do much guiding but they do help them see where the trailer is so they have better aim.

Seasense boat guides $60
Amazon.com: Seasense Trailer Post Guide (48-Inch): Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I got a 2010 q7 new in 2012. Other than some carb problems, it has been running great. I did want to chime in on the conversation though;

Anchor Storage: I keep mine in an old soft cooler bag under the floor. the thickness of the cooler bag keeps it from banging around

Storage in the engine compartment: I too have been using command strip hooks to strap down plastic bins. The plywood idea sounds much better. Can you drill and screw into that rear deck area on either side of the engine? I would really like to see a pic of this. Thanks for the idea.

2nd Battery: Like others in the thread, I wanted to get a 2nd battery so I would never get stuck. I purchased a perko switch and battery tray. When taking it down to the dealer for warranty service. I asked them to mount the switch and tray. (I was afraid to drill, hence question above). I located the 2nd battery close to the first battery and put the perko switch on the vertical wall in between both batteries. I will try to post a pic. The dealer wanted $500 to rig a 2nd battery, my install was less than $100. As far as usage, I use one battery in the morning and then switch to the 2nd battery in the afternoon. This way both batteries get used and charged every trip out.

Perko switch $40 Perko 8501DP Marine Battery Selector Switch : Amazon.com : Automotive
Cables $5 ea: I used the 4 gage battery cables in the auto battery section at walmart. the cables are for lawn tractors and are the perfect length. Note, I don't do saltwater but if I did, I would get the sealed cables for $30 each.

Remote stereo control: I was surprised to find that the Jensen radio on my boat had lots of capability for remotes and Ipod inputs. I chose the wireless remote and added a Ipod connector. I don't seem to get good FM reception on the lake so I just keep an ipod in the glove box all the time. I have tried powered and unpowered FM antennas with marginal success. I just installed the powered antenna and still evaluating it.

Remote Trim Tabs: When I went to the dealer to get a new prop (problem was I could not pull a 170lb slolam skier up out of the water) they suggested that I try the hydrofoil first. While I have not had a chance to test the slolam skier yet, the boat does come to plane almost instantly. I had no stability problems before or after installation of the foil so no data points there. I would like to hear if anyone has direct experience with both the foil and the tabs.

Bilge: I had a situation the other day where the bilge was running and no water was pumping out. I looked for leafs and other debris around the strainer and it seemed to be clean. I thought the pump was shot so I got a replacement. What I found is that the pump installed on my boat was a cartridge type which means it removes from the strainer basket with a push of a tab and twist. Of course I didn't know this until I ordered a new pump and was able to see it outside the boat so I could figure it out. Sure enough, after I bought one mine started to work again. I think there was debris inside the strainer basket that prevented the pump from running. It is good to know that the pump can be removed for quick inspection/cleaning and replacement if necessary without removeing the basket from the floor.

Amazon.com: Johnson Pump Compact Cartridge Bilge Pump (500 GPH 12V): Sports & Outdoors

Bow Stop Roller The next change I made to the boat was to add a new bow stop roller. The stock roller seemed to be sticking to the gel coat. this one does not.

Trailer Guides: I put these on to help my wife and son guide the boat on the trailer. I don't think they are strong enough to do much guiding but they do help them see where the trailer is so they have better aim.

Seasense boat guides $60

Well I can tell you I had that exact same hydrofoil on my 150hp Mercury outboard and it worked "ok"...had I known then what I know now I would never had bought the hydrofoil. The smart tabs are MUCH better. Here's why: Hydrofoils place a lot of stress on the vent plate of the outdrive. While they will help you with lift, the do quite poorly on turning stabiity. Smart tabs on the other hand will get you up out of the hole quicky, virtually eliminate bow rise and porposing at speed, they also work GREAT for turning stability and really transform the driveability of your boat. Until you have them on and experience them...you won't know how great they really are.

I will be getting the wireless floating remote when I get a chance...I am waiting for some more people on ebay to sell them at a cheap price.

Hope this helps.

Rob

bjlakatos

Cadet

How often do you replace your impellers that circulate water in the engine and lower unit? I am getting mixed info from two different bass pro dealers. One says annually the other says every 3-4 yrs. Is it appropriate to judge by the temp guage? I would think that they would steadily get worse each year (and not move as much water to cool the engine)

Comments?

BiggerDee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How often do you replace your impellers that circulate water in the engine and lower unit? I am getting mixed info from two different bass pro dealers. One says annually the other says every 3-4 yrs. Is it appropriate to judge by the temp guage? I would think that they would steadily get worse each year (and not move as much water to cool the engine)

Comments?

First off, I wouldn't call BassPro about it. They are MEGA high on all of their services, and probably wouldn't give you good information. The motor is a standard Mercruiser, serviceable by almost any boat shop. Call a few of them and ask about it. You'll get better info from them, and most likely a cheaper price too. BassPro makes the boat and trailer, so for issues with those components (or anything under warranty), you can go there but once the warranty is out, you can go anywhere. Pretty much any boat service place can service issues with any boat/motor/trailer. Going to BassPro is like taking your car to a dealer for service. You can get the same level of service elsewhere faster, and cheaper.

I'm sure that it's based on usage. Naturally, a boat that gets heavy use would need one replaced sooner than a boat that gets moderate useage. On that note though, one that gets little use would also need it changed regularly. If the impeller doesn't turn occasionally, the blades on the side under force will be malformed from sitting (they are rubber). I had not thought about this possibility, but there was a great tip/story about boats that sit in BoatUS Magazine a month or so back, and it's definitely something to think about.

If your temp gauge is running high because of the impeller wear, then you should get off of the water immediately because you are far past the point of replacement.

Good luck!

BiggerDee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

View attachment 214494View attachment 214495View attachment 214492View attachment 214496View attachment 214493I got a 2010 q7 new in 2012. Other than some carb problems, it has been running great. I did want to chime in on the conversation though;

Seasense boat guides $60

I agree with Prince Vailum. I had a hydrofoil first and while it seemed like it helped, I wound up throwing it away. I put SmartTabs on and there is no comparison. Hydros are ok for smaller outboards on light boats, but they are largely ineffective on sterndrives on a bowrider. Go to the SmartTabs and you'll be VERY glad that you did. You won't believe all fo the glowing reports at first, but the very frist trip with them on your boat, well, you'll understand then. They aren't an option, they are essential.

I didn't replace the bow stop roller, but I did add a stainless steel adhesive bow protector. The roller WILL scratch the gel in that area, but the SS plate mounts onto the bow exactly where it rubs, prevents this, and looks very high-end in the process. I think that it was $20.

Another great option is a Keelguard brand bow protector. They sounds difficult and complicated to install, but I put mine on in about 30 minutes. It's another essential item to protect the hull, and is worthy of your consideration.

Good idea for the anchor storage! I keep my 25lb Navy anchor in the small compartment under the sliding seat that covers the step for sundeck/stern access. I have an old beach towel that I have folded a couple of times and placed into the bottom of that compartment. That works like a charm as well, adn I have to trailer my boat at least 1 hr each way every trip. I like your cooler idea, good thinking!

bjlakatos

Cadet
PrinceValium--thanks for your contributions again on the trim tabs. I installed them, removed the foil and sold it for $30. Should have done it the first time. Hardly any bowrise at all and much better ride in rough water. The entire job took less than an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.