Trailer Pole Guides

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm wanting to put some trailer guides on the side of my trailier so I can see it better backing up. The kits that I have found or not for the wide step at the back of my trailer . I have a 2008 Q4 and where the guides would I have a step. Does any else have these problem and if you have figure out how to put some on can you post some pictures?

David

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer Pole Guides

This was a post of someone's boat here on iboats (Daveboy)...he was talking about his smart tabs...but you can see how he mounted his posts. Looks like he drilled two holes for the posts on one side of the posts.

If you practice how far to put your trailer in the water...you really do not need guide posts. I usually have the top 1/4 of the bunks out of the water for trailering and then slowly power the boat on the trailer. I have also used the fender wells just under the water trick but sometimes when you have a steep ramp that does not always work. Keep in mind this can always change depending on the ramp you are on...but back your boat in the water to completely submerge your bunks then pull out to have the top 1/4 of the bunks out of the water and go from there.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=436748

Last edited:

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This was a post of someone's boat here on iboats (Daveboy)...he was talking about his smart tabs...but you can see how he mounted his posts. Looks like he drilled two holes for the posts on one side of the posts.

If you practice how far to put your trailer in the water...you really do not need guide posts. I usually have the top 1/4 of the bungs out of the water for trailering and then slowly power the boat on the trailer. I have also used the fender wells just under the water trick but sometimes when you have a steep ramp that does not always work. Keep in mind this can always change depending on the ramp you are on...but back your boat in the water to completely submerge your bungs then pull out to have the top 1/4 of the bungs out of the water and go from there.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=436748

Thanks for the heads up... Yea I like what he did...Might try this

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Please try again brownskull I am interested in guide posts also. I actually want to mount some guide bunks.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Here are the photos. I mounted them on from the bottom but had to drill holes through the step plate..ouch.

Attachments

• P6240110.jpg
    P6240110.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 14
  • P6240111.jpg
    P6240111.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 16
  • P6240112.jpg
    P6240112.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 15
  • P6240113.jpg
    P6240113.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 12

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

spdrarc39,

It looks like the pics showed up. I like the PVC rollers because can they can be replaced easily, cut to any length desired and can be seen easily when backing up the trailer without the boat. Works good loading the boat on a windy day as well. They can be be purchased through *********.

dmoss8928

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SO Brownskull where did you get yours? And all you had to do was drill 2 holes for each guide?

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I got mine for a company in Anoka MN. hear is their website
http://www.veveinc.com

I had to drill two holes in the 1/8" metal on the step of the trailer so the bolts could go through. Their are four bolts total that attach to the brackets; two on each side of the trailer frame that is why I had to drill the holes. The brackets mount on top and bottom of the frame of the trailer.

I did like drilling the holes but since it was in the step pad and not the frame I figured it would be an simple fix if something happened to the step.

low98vette

Recruit

i installed these last summer. they are the same as " thebrownskulls" however i did a custom install with them. i cut them to length then welded some plates under the step for added strength. i love them.
IMG_0132.jpgIMG_0133.jpgIMG_0134.jpg

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here are mine sorry for the crappy pictures.
IMG_1965.jpgIMG_1966.jpg

UGA Z71

Recruit

low98vette

Recruit
I used the T-945. I cut off the bottom piece. I cut a hole in the step with a hole saw. I then welded a square plate on the post from the bottom side of the step.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer
UGAZ1 Welcome to iboats. I sent you a private message with the link to the guide poles. This thread is old and if you can't find what you want starting a new one will get you more results.

UGA Z71

Recruit
Thanks Guys, I am enjoying my new to me Q4SS and there is a lot of useful info here.