Tahoe Q5i Front Speaker Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne0832

Cadet
I have searched for anything regarding a front speaker install for my 2011 Q5i and found nothing. So I took pictures as I pioneered the project. I hope this is helpful to someone else. I purchased the Jensen 6 1/2 inch marine speakers so they would be the same as the rear stock speakers that came with the boat.

I taped the area so I would not scratch the finish. I used a compass to swing a circle, measured at 2 9/16" radius. This was just a guide, because I used the circle tool with the dremel to make the cut. I'm kinda anal like that.

Using a Dremel tool, I cut out the circle
Step3 cut hole.jpg

Using a drywall saw, I cut out the foam
Step7 remove foam.jpg

Using a fishing tape, I pulled the starboard wire from the port side around the bow
Step8 fish tape 2.JPG

Then I installed the speaker, because of the limited space, the bottom 1/2 inch or so of the speaker is below the cushion. I drilled a small drain hole in the bottom of the grill so water wouldn't get trapped.
Step10 installed.jpg

Step11 complete.JPG

I hope this is helpful.

Wayne

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tahoe Q5i Front Speaker Install

Thanks for the good step-by-step.

What model of speaker was that?

I am looking at putting a speaker on the driver side of the walk-through as a less painful install. Should get a good bit of sound to the front.

Wayne0832

Cadet

They are Jesen's MS6007s, I ordered them from the Jensen marine website. They were $30. each, not bad for a marine speaker. The rear's came stock on my 2011 Tahoe.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

sweet! I only really need one! perfect (i think mine are the exact same on my '12 from the looks of them )

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Nice job on your install!! My front speakers on my Q7 are in front of the hand rails at the bow of the boat. (like that from the factory)

Here is a picture of it when it was brand new still at the dealer the day before we bought it...you can see the outline of the speaker in the front.

Wayne0832

Cadet

I wish I could have put mine forward of the handles, but there is a contour line that would prevent it from sitting flat.

arctic4wd

Recruit

I realize this thread is a year old, but nice install. I'm thinking of doing the same. Now that you have used it, how do you like the front speakers. Do they seem to be out of the way of front passengers?

mschmidt33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would put them in front of the handle if possible. The angle is better and they look better. No worries on it not sitting flat, will not affect performance much at all. This is what I did years ago, no issues. Don't waste your money on Jenson speakers either.

Wayne0832

Cadet

They sit flush so there isn't an issue for the passengers. I would do it again, they make a huge difference.

mschmidt33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree, huge difference in sound. Should have been there stock.

arctic4wd

Recruit

Here is what I came up with. I also chose the Jensen speakers to match the existing. I have built alot of loud and expensive stereo systems and I am over that now, I just wanted a little sound up front. I wanted the speaker to be mounted flush to the fiberglass, so I opted not to go infront of the handle and stick to the flat spot. I can tell a big difference in the sound and the speakers do not interfere with passengers. I went a little further back to try to get the speaker above the cushion, wasn't able to get it as high as I wanted. In the end, I am happy with how it came out. The wife is really happy, so I'm calling it a success.
IMG_20130522_183001_666.jpg

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally got my arse in gear and ordered that speaker for my install. Gonna keep it simple and have it in the walk way area near stereo. Should bounce the sound all around nicely in front.

Curious about wiring up to it - in looking at the stereo it is tucked up pretty tight and didn't look very 'welcoming' when I looked at it last fall.

Any pointers on getting at the terminals in the back of the unit? With it being a very short boating season this year...don't want it to turn into "one of those" projects.

arctic4wd

Recruit

Finally got my arse in gear and ordered that speaker for my install. Gonna keep it simple and have it in the walk way area near stereo. Should bounce the sound all around nicely in front.

Curious about wiring up to it - in looking at the stereo it is tucked up pretty tight and didn't look very 'welcoming' when I looked at it last fall.

Any pointers on getting at the terminals in the back of the unit? With it being a very short boating season this year...don't want it to turn into "one of those" projects.

The wires were easy to get to. The wires leave the stereo head unit and go into a factory plug where they dead end. You will need to cut them off where they enter the plug, then wire your new speakers to them. You are looking for the green and green/black (Left) & Purple and Purple/Black (Right) wires. These are actually for the rear speakers. The factory installed speakers in my q5i are wired to the front speaker outputs of the stereo. It doesn't much make a difference, the fade function on the stereo will just be backwards. I didn't go to all the trouble of swapping it all around.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

never thought of the fade option. that will be nice to adjust rear/front sound.

thanks for the wiring heads up- speaker should be here tomorrow - sounds like an easy tie in.

rgcummings

Cadet

The wires were easy to get to. The wires leave the stereo head unit and go into a factory plug where they dead end. You will need to cut them off where they enter the plug, then wire your new speakers to them. You are looking for the green and green/black (Left) & Purple and Purple/Black (Right) wires. These are actually for the rear speakers. The factory installed speakers in my q5i are wired to the front speaker outputs of the stereo. It doesn't much make a difference, the fade function on the stereo will just be backwards. I didn't go to all the trouble of swapping it all around.

I am trying to decide what, if any, new stereo head unit to buy for my 2011 Tahoe Q5i stereo upgrade. Currently under consideration is the Fusion MS-IP600G or the Jensen MS2013BTR. I would like it to work with an iPhone 5 but can buy a separate iPod or just use Bluetooth. I'm in Afghanistan right now and can't look myself, but does anyone know the stereo model number for the stock stereo? I need to know if it has RCA pre-amp jacks on it.
I've already purchased a Kicker 10ZXM700.5 marine amp, a 10" Rockford Fosgate subwoofer M210S4, and 4 Polk MM651UM 6.5" marine speakers for the install. I likewise will be replacing the rear stock speakers and adding two to the bow area. Also, does anyone have any good ideas on a subwoofer enclosure that would work with the Q5i?

Wayne0832

Cadet

If I remember correctly, there are two pre-amp outputs on the stock head unit. Not sure of the model#, but I'm planning on installing an amp for a sub woofer this weekend. I'll post my findings when I'm done. If anyone has any pointers on the sub woofer and amp install, I'm all ears.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I am going to install this litttle gem for my stereo! I am going to mount it under the radio so it is not seen(look at my above posted pic and you will see it can be tucked up under the radio). Bass here I come! It is a 8" Bazooka Basstube with 100 watts built in to the sub.

image.jpg

mschmidt33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I built a custom 12" box under the drivers side dash. Out of the way and makes ripples in the water as I have the sub firing down. 12" Type-R in there is more than enough. If you want pics, let me know.

carey965

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just put in a nice alpine into my boat. 100 bucks blue tooth am/fm usb I pod support but no cd player which I thought was perfect for a boat. Cause you never use it anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.