Livewell pump location on 216WT

will2kz

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all!

I'm new here, just bought a 2007 216WT with 5.0 MPI with 55 hours. She was in great shape but needs a couple little things here and there. In a while I'll post pics of my new fish finder install (turned out better than I imagined), Terrova install (heroic but beautiful) and my Smart tabs (look flimsy but we'll see on the water) all installed thanks to your help.

My livewell doesn't work. In fact when powered on it blows a fuse which makes me think the pump is probably shot and shorting. Problem is I haven't been able to locate it yet. It seems like different boats have different configurations. Some describe a pump for getting water in and some for getting water out. My switch seems to be only on/off so no intermittent on/off here. It has a drain in bottom and a spill drain in top. I have not filled it with water manually to see what happens yet.

So if any of you have tackled this on a 216/215 let me know.

will2kz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Livewell pump location on 216WT

Good grief. I found it. It is connected to the transom at the point of water entry through the mesh. It is a small yellow pump. Like some posts I have read the top looks to come out as a cartridge so you don't have to unplumb it. Problem is the exhaust manifold curves down right on top of it making it impossible to remove. I'm tempted to relocate it up into the engine well a little higher, but fear that might compromise the safety of a deep location with a leak. As of this moment, I have no idea how I'm going to get it out without acrobatics, or removal of exhaust tube which might be a big mistake. I am adept at mechanics, just not boat mechanics....

But I really want a functioning livewell....

will2kz

Seaman Apprentice

I feel like I'm talking to myself here, but will relay what I have learned so far since this info is not on the internet anywhere else.
The livewell pump is a Mayfair cartridge type made by Johnson controls. I do not know if it is original to the boat, it looks a little like someone worked on it before. The unit did come out after releasing a clip and twisting it out. I had to "rotate" the hole casing to the right to be able to pull the cartridge out and clear the exhaust manifold.
The unit worked when tested on a battery, but blew a 5 amp fuse. The sticker on the unit says it clearly is only supposed to draw 2.5 amps. It would run on a 10 amp fuse, but I'm not going to push it and just replace the cartridge itself which I think I can source for <$20.

I'm a little worried that the housing will not be watertight with the transom as it was fairly easy to turn. Unfortunately no easy way to tell until I'm in the water.....

will2kz

Seaman Apprentice

Final update. The cartridge install worked like a charm, no leaks. The way my livewell works is it pumps water from the back into the livewell in the front. There are drains at the top and bottom of the tank. You have to plug the bottom drain. If you leave the pump on it will start to go out the overflow drain on top but I would not use this as a way to recirculate as it will submerge the output head and that created a vacuum lock in the pump line for a few hours somehow. I think the best way to recirculate would be to get a drain tube that is shorter than the pump head. If your boat came with one of these, then it would validate this thought. I bought mine used and don't have one, but will be buying or making one. I do like the idea of throwing my floating minnow bucket in the livewell, the draintube would ruin that idea. Might have to come up with a different solution....

acuaholic

Cadet

Would love to know if you ever figured out a solution for the livewell drain issue, at first I thought mine is a defect but I guess all the 195, 196, 215, and 216 have this problem, thanks

will2kz

Seaman Apprentice

Would love to know if you ever figured out a solution for the livewell drain issue, at first I thought mine is a defect but I guess all the 195, 196, 215, and 216 have this problem, thanks

Hi,
I used my livewell all year last year by simply plugging the bottom hole and then flipping the switch to fill it with water. On hot days I would unplug to drain for a bit while pumping more water in. Of course the rate of drain to fill is not the same, so not really an effective way to recirculate. Maybe I'll get around to crafting a tube like I mentioned. Will see if the minnow bucket knocks it around.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I have the same problem with my 216WT. I have not solved it either. Your idea sounds good. I will work on that after I install my amp under the dash..what a pain in the rear.

Yahtahay

Recruit

I have a 2008 216WT and had the same issue, replaced the pump at the stern and rewired because mine was blowing a fuse as well. Lastly though rather than just leaving the livewell running I installed a aerator with a timer that I installed in the dash. Now I fill the livewell up and just turn the aerator on with the timer. It works so well that fish revive in my livewell now when they look like they are gonna die.

Here is the aerator: Amazon.com: Marine Metal Power Bubbles 12-volt Air Pump: Sports & Outdoors
Here is the timer: Rig Rite Manufacturing 510 Marine Variable Livewell Timer : Amazon.com : Automotive

I ended up cutting two holes in the side of the livewell and installing two bulkheads with fittings for the air stones and tubing. The tubing runs back to the aerator in the storage area below the steering wheel. If you want some pics I will be happy to provide.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Yahtahay,

Good idea. When you have time can you post some pics.

Yahtahay

Recruit

Yahtahay,

Good idea. When you have time can you post some pics.

20130708_173530.jpg
Airstones coming out of side of livewell via bulkheads.

20130708_173342.jpg
The Power Bubbles aerator under the dash (storage area).

20130708_173541.jpg
The front bulkhead connection.

20130708_173547.jpg
The rear bulkhead connection.

20130708_173345.jpg
Where I routed the reinforced poly tubing.

This system works remarkably well versus using the so called aerator livewell pump that really should be called a deadwell because it doesn't aerate anything unless you constantly cycle the water or leave it running. With the power bubbles it uses very little battery (something like .045 amps) and I can leave it on all day and not have to worry about battery drain. My only gripe is they should have made a bigger livewell.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

That is a neat idea. I think I am going to do that.