2010 215xi Smart Tab sx10512-90 installed PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: 2010 215xi Smart Tab sx10512-90 installed PICS

WOW, I have to ask, did you even read what nauticus tabs do before you bought them? Why did you buy these tabs in the first place? The reason I ask is, these tabs automatically (when adjusted correctly to the right position for your boat/weight) will put your boat in a much better planing and running attitude than it ever was from the factory all the time. I will try and explain, but you should read this - http://www.nauticusinc.com/pdf/nauticus_smart_tabs_tech_info.pdf

Running trim down should not cause vibration or hurt any drivetrain. 90 degrees to the waters surface is 99 percent of the time, the most efficient place for your prop to be. It is where you get the most bang for your buck! It is where you receive the most thrust per rpm! After you are on a plane, yes, you can trim up a little to gain speed by reducing friction to the water.

These tabs should not be causing an unsafe boat attitude, (Bow Down) so much that it is unsafe. If they are, you have them set up wrong with to much pressure from the actuators. These are valved, so once on a plane they relax, this is why you can still use your motor some to adjust bow entry. You are not correct when you say having the motor tucked in in rough seas is dangerous, exact opposite! Having the motor tucked in gives you the most control of your vessel because it is where you get the most thrust! When boating in a rough head sea, you want your bow at the proper angle as to cut throug the waves, not pound against them, usually this is bow down, with trim tabs down. Following seas can be a complete different story, you want trim tabs up all the way!

I'm telling you, you have set up these tabs wrong and I am sure nauticus will be more than happy to point that out if you take it to them. You are the first person I have ever heard of having issues with porpoising after the install. Have you told nauticus how you use the trim? Half way trimmed is usually almost out of the water.

chriscraft254

Commander

Tell you what man, go out and take another video with the motor trimmed 90 degrees with the hull! Then show it to us. You have to get the trim tabs dialed in correctly before you start thinking about the motor trim. I will bet you, your boat does not porpoise when the motor is trimmed in and the tabs are set-up properly.

These tabs completely change the way your boat acts compared to before tabs! These tabs are going to position your boat out of the water more from the time you start to excellerate to wot, that the boat ever did before the tabs. If they have to big of actuators, they are going to raise the stern to much and push the bow down to much. If they have not enough actuator, they won't raise the stern enough and not push the bow down enough. Very simple! They have to be properly sized to your boat and set up properly!

Hope you get it worked out.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

I understand that and so do they, thats why they already sent me out 70#'s that didn't help and now we are are trying different tabs and more actuators...

You can't set these up wrong they are a bolt on and go part, And even they said as far as the "setting's" are concerned they are a fine tuning adjustment and should not make drastic changes like I am experiencing. These tabs were ordered based off of their chart, so please elaborate on how "I" set these up wrong?

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

That setting on my trim gauge is 90* with the hull!!! What else do you have??????????

chriscraft254

Commander

You said, you had them send you a different set of actuators because the first ones were not right. My point is your not going to know if there right if you have your trim set so high.

If your trim gauge was at half tilt reading while your tabs are at 90 degrees to the hull, you should probably get that fixed because your gauge is broke. The gauge showing half way between up and down on the gauge should be 50% tilt. They are the same on all tilt gauges. Kinda strange that you also have a broken trim gauge. I simply don't believe that the tabs made your boat porpoise that much! But if you say so! Its your boat and I truly hope the new tabs work for you and you see the performance that I have.

The set-up on these tabs is very straight forward and the adjustments are for tweeking, thats why it doesn't sound right. If they sent you or set you up with the wrong tabs, that is on them. What is the weight of your boat?

Sounds like they are trying to fix the issue and I look forward to the out come. Keep us posted on what the new tabs do. If they do not work or don't give you the performance that is garanteed then it will be good information for others running the same type boat as you have.

I have to ask again, what your saying is that your trim gauge when it is reading half way between down and up, you are saying that is all the way down at 90 degrees to the hull?

I'm just trying to help! Did you get a chance to look over this yet? http://www.nauticusinc.com/pdf/nauticus_smart_tabs_tech_info.pdf

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Man...mvnvltn, I hope you get this worked out. You should try calling nauticus again.

chriscraft254, I just saw your refurb. job and they're great! Good job in the restoration project with nice add ons.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

Yes I have read everything on the site and then some, did you read the part about negative trim? Thats what I get when I'm trimmed in. I have spent hours on the phone with them and others, grew up on boats and have family owned marinas. And your helping make my point, If I would have got mechanical tabs in the first place I would not be going through tall of this. I guess I'm not smart enoughor capable enough to buy and install a bolt on "automatic" tab kit let alone figure out how to work it....

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you, I'm waiting on some different stuff from them to try out.

Man...mvnvltn, I hope you get this worked out. You should try calling nauticus again.

chriscraft254, I just saw your refurb. job and they're great! Good job in the restoration project with nice add ons.

chriscraft254

Commander

Yes I have read everything on the site and then some, did you read the part about negative trim?

Yes, but I don't think you have read it. Negative trim as "they state" Negative trim on the prop is a compromise between maximum forward thrust to acheive speed, and pushing the stern up to correct the high bow rise and reduce porpoising.

Thats what I get when I'm trimmed in.

What you get and what you are stating is to different things! As stated above, the negative trim would push the bow down and the boat would "not" porpoise. With the trim tabs installed, you don't need negative trim at all to get on plane because the tabs are already pushing the bow down and lifting the stern. The prop should be tucked in but doesn't have to be all the way because you are already receiving lift from the tabs. Your video, I can promise you is not from the tabs being deployed downward. If anything it is because the tabs were not lifting enough by being deployed downward. The only way a boat porpoises is if the motor is trimmed upward to far!!!!

I have spent hours on the phone with them and others, grew up on boats and have family owned marinas. And your helping make my point, If I would have got mechanical tabs in the first place I would not be going through tall of this. I guess I'm not smart enoughor capable enough to buy and install a bolt on "automatic" tab kit let alone figure out how to work it....

I didn't say anything about you being smart enough or comment on any of your previous experience with boats. The length of time on boats really has nothing to do with wether you know the proper way to operate a boat or tabs. I know plenty of people that have no clue as to run there tabs that have been on there boat for years. Its not all that uncommon.

What I can comment on is you have made statements that do not make since and are contradictory to your own explainations! Even on a fixed set of tabs, the more the tabs are deployed downward, the less you will have porpoising. If the smart tabs were sized correctly to your boat, they would have the proper down pressure to not allow your boat to porpoise! Its that simple and its fact.

Trim down on helm controlled tabs would cause your boat to porpoise less,not more! Just like nauticus tabs deployed will do the same. If you were to tilt your motor up 50% it would cause your boat to porpoise regardless of what tab you were running.

Man, I can only go by your word and the video you posted! If you say you are getting negative trim in the all the way down position, it is probably only about 3 to 5 degrees at the very most. If that is the case, it should be helping being tucked in to negative, not making it porpoise more!! There is very little negative trim on any boat simply because there is a boat in front of the motor! You can sit here and tell me and the world how smart you are and you are right about everything all day long. That is not going to change the fact that you posted a boat in a video, showing 50% trim, which in most cases on most boats, will cause porpoising.

The statements you made about how you run in various seas, shows me you really have no clue. I will leave it at that. I was trying to help you, but you obviously know it all, even after you have made statments that simply are not true and contradict the way boats act under certain trims of the motor/prop.

I don't think you will ever get these tabs to work properly if you are so closed minded and refuse to learn.

chriscraft254

Commander

Thankyou sir for your kind words, I will be doing some more upgrades to the interior this fall.:)

mrkd4lif

Cadet

I just wanted to comment. Please forgive as I really do not speak the lingo. I have a 216wt, basically the same size boat, with the V-6. When I take off the trim is all the way down, gauge all the way to the left. As I get going I start trimming up and usually stop after going up about a 1/4 on the gauge. This is where we run and it does not porpois. I can not get anywhere near half on the gauge. On a day where the water is glass, I can run up 3/8 to almost half, but if ther is any waves I can not get close. I can get top speed doing this for my motor combo.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

Are you running smart tabs? If so what size setting and actuators are you using?

I just wanted to comment. Please forgive as I really do not speak the lingo. I have a 216wt, basically the same size boat, with the V-6. When I take off the trim is all the way down, gauge all the way to the left. As I get going I start trimming up and usually stop after going up about a 1/4 on the gauge. This is where we run and it does not porpois. I can not get anywhere near half on the gauge. On a day where the water is glass, I can run up 3/8 to almost half, but if ther is any waves I can not get close. I can get top speed doing this for my motor combo.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

This video shows trim angle in relation to the gauge...

mrkd4lif

Cadet

No tabs, all factory. Still have factory aluminum prop.

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ever have any success with the tabs? I don't have as many problems with my Tahoe 215 without them, but looking to improve my hole shot. So you placed them after the 2nd bump out?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
ever have any success with the tabs? I don't have as many problems with my Tahoe 215 without them, but looking to improve my hole shot. So you placed them after the 2nd bump out?

You are wasting your time asking the OP a question.. He no longer visits, it's been 2 years.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.