2010 215xi Smart Tab sx10512-90 installed PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice
No results yet haven't got it in the water yet, thinking I may have to move shock setting to a lower point though from what I have been reading? It's a heavy boat, we shall see.

reartabview.jpgsingletab.jpg

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2010 215xi Smart Tab sx10512-90 installed PICS

Great install job. Let us know how it turns out!

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

Well the first run didn't seem to act right so I called the guys at nauticus and they sent me out some lighter actuators based on my description of my problem. Once I made it out with lighter acts. it was way worse. So I threw the 90lb back on and set them on 5. That seemed to do the trick. I'm gonna try to get out again this week and triple check the way it acts before I send anything back. I will say they have made a huge difference in the way the boat acts. I just want to make sure that I'm happy with the adjustments I have made. The guys at nauticus (Greg) have been very patient and helpful.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

With many adjustments, 3 tanks of gas, and 2 mechanic's/ boat owners other than myself, I have come to be very dissatisfied with the way these perform on my boat. I have tried different strength actuators and all the different plate setting over and over again and my boat still porpoises just as bad as it ever did. The only thing these seem to do is help me get on plane. Anything over 25mph and it will bounce you out of the boat. Oh well I guess I need to buy some Bennets and these will be for sale after I get them.

As of now I can not give a positive review of these tabs, in fact I'm extremely disappointed....

CO_FOX

Cadet

The problem you have may never be fixed by trim tabs. When I was test driving a Tahoe 195 I/O with the dealer the first time, that particular boat would nearly throw everyone out of the boat above 25 mph. We went back to the dealership and got another 195 I/O and it preformed with very little issues. It was daylight and dark difference.

The factory rep happened to be at the dealership when we came back. The dealer and the rep began looking over the bad boat. They took measurements and also checked the angles of the hull. The found the hull to be over 2" out of plumb from one side to another and from front to back. The was definitely a bad built boat from the beginning and would never perform correctly without major hull repair.

Since the bad boat was the color I wanted, the dealer and the rep expidited me a new one from the factory with everything I wanted.

I test drove the new boat when it arrived and soon after installed the Smart Tabs to make the final adjustments the boat needed to operate smoothly.

Just wanted you to know my experience.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Wow...I'm surprised they would send out a bad boat. How do you check if the boat is out of plumb or not? Good for you that the factory rep was there or you would have still been trying to straighten out this issue.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

This is a replacement boat already, I was told it was checked over with a fine tooth comb. I can have them check it again. I'm still saying that the tabs did not work for my boat. My boat is also longer and weighs a bit more than yours.

chriscraft254

Commander

Have you talked with Greg or John at nauticus again? You would be the first person that I have ever heard of that weren't happy with the smart tabs. I am interested in what nauticus does next for you. You definately should be seeing major improvements. If not, they are 100% garranteed so no reason to have to sell them to anyone,just return them and get your money back! I'm thinking you must have the wrong adjustment or another problem with the boat set-up.. Are you running with the motor trimmed all the way down? If your still porpoising, it sounds like you need larger actuators,not smaller or less pressure!

Let us know what you find out. Because I have never heard of them not performing, I know mine have. But my tabs are larger and for a heavier boat. Good luck

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

I have been dealing with Greg. He has sent me out lighter actuators thinking mine were to stiff. I tried every setting over and over. As soon as I trim out It starts to hop, I have video of it on each setting with consistent rpm and trim.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

I am a mechanic by trade and some boat owner that doesn't know how to operate a boat, I've had buddies come and try to tweak it with me for entire days and nothing panned out. I wouldn't mind sending them back if they would take them, but whose gonna pay to have the 16 holes filled on my boat until I can get some tabs that work? These tabs are the new larger ones specifically for deck boats, they are 10.5in wide and 12in long with 90# actuators.

wagnerz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking about getting some smart tabs, and all I have heard is great things, is there other people out there that got them and was disappointed with them?

chriscraft254

Commander

My tabs are different from yours, but I can say from my experience that you should not have to trim the motor at all with these on your boat. Trimming the motor upward makes the bow rise out of the water and causes porpoising and improper thrust from your prop. These tabs are garranteed to take that porpoising away, but not when the motor is trimmed upward to the extend you would be causing it to porpoise just by motor tilt. Your motor should be tucked in, all the way down while planing. Once on a plane, yes, you can adjust the motor upward a little to gain speed. If you trim it to much, you can cause the boat to porpoise. But you shouldn't have to trim it that much to cause that to happen. Something is definately wrong here.

I would be getting nauticus to come check it out and figure out why they are not working properly. I can't comment on your size tabs or the actuator size, because I have no idea how heavy your boat is or what nauticus recommends for your patricular application. But as far as getting it right, I know they will continue to help you until this is fixed. . These tabs are based on the size/weight of the boat. One tab is not a fit all. Like I said, maybe you need larger actuators or different tabs. But something isn't right!

Boats porpoise when the boat is not in the best running attitude. I would call them again and ask them what they recommend now! But like I said, sounds like you need larger actuators or your trimming way to much causing the porpoising. Post some more pics of the tabs mounted, side veiw if possible. Keep us posted please.
I am a mechanic by trade and some boat owner that doesn't know how to operate a boat, I've had buddies come and try to tweak it with me for entire days and nothing panned out. I wouldn't mind sending them back if they would take them, but whose gonna pay to have the 16 holes filled on my boat until I can get some tabs that work? These tabs are the new larger ones specifically for deck boats, they are 10.5in wide and 12in long with 90# actuators.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

I just got off the phone with Greg. He watched the video that I sent and we are definitely on the same page. He is going to send out another set of different size tabs AND actuators this time and we'll go from there. Worst case I might be able to haul the boat out to them so we can water test together can figure something out if it comes down to it. I'll keep you guys posted.

chriscraft254

Commander

I just got off the phone with Greg. He watched the video that I sent and we are definitely on the same page. He is going to send out another set of different size tabs AND actuators this time and we'll go from there. Worst case I might be able to haul the boat out to them so we can water test together can figure something out if it comes down to it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Awesome,keep us posted.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

This is on calm water. Faster you go the worse it gets. About 25-28mph on GPS

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

The trim gauge is a the upper right of the dash. I'll go out to garage and take a pic of drive position in relation to the gauge when I get a chance.

CO_FOX

Cadet

If your trim gauge is actually showing a half way trim angle of the stern drive, it is probably always going to porpoise. Deck boats in general are not made to have a very steep trim angle. It is the nature of this type of boat. If you get much over 25% trim you will be lucky. You may get more with a different trim tab configuration but you will lose top end speed and have increased fuel burn.

Good luck. You are going about it in the correct testing manner.

chriscraft254

Commander

Thats why I asked, because I saw your trim gauge. It was half way trimmed up when it was porpoising. The motor should be tucked down all the way unless you just need to trim a little for some reason. The tabs could possibly be completely setup on the wrong adjustment or wrong actuators if thats the way you were running your test. You should be testing these tabs with the motor tucked under or all the way down. The bow should be down, but not to far, you shouldn't lose any speed and you should plane faster. After you reach wot and want to gain a little more speed, you should be able to tilt the motor up a little with no porpoising.

But your testing and setting of these tabs should be with the motor all the way down.

The trim gauge is a the upper right of the dash. I'll go out to garage and take a pic of drive position in relation to the gauge when I get a chance.

mvnvltn

Seaman Apprentice

Running with the trim causes the drive train to bind which is why many of us experience a vibration when trimmed in. Trimming out keeps your boat on top of the water which is where it is most efficient. Staying trimmed in ruins your efficiency and will cause a rough and possibly dangerous ride in high sea's. Tabs in general no matter what the brand are designed to improve the overall performance of the vessel not to mention the amount of trim required when underway. Not to mention I can't safely reach "top speed" right now because it bounces so bad right now with tabs. I could however achieve "top speed" with no tabs and the motor trimmed out..

Thats why I asked, because I saw your trim gauge. It was half way trimmed up when it was porpoising. The motor should be tucked down all the way unless you just need to trim a little for some reason. The tabs could possibly be completely setup on the wrong adjustment or wrong actuators if thats the way you were running your test. You should be testing these tabs with the motor tucked under or all the way down. The bow should be down, but not to far, you shouldn't lose any speed and you should plane faster. After you reach wot and want to gain a little more speed, you should be able to tilt the motor up a little with no porpoising.

But your testing and setting of these tabs should be with the motor all the way down.

Status
Not open for further replies.