Engine compartment straps

supercrewser

Seaman Apprentice
Ok heres another off the wall question from a newbie. In the engine compartment in front of the engine are two straps that are attached to the wall in front of the engine . They are yellow with velcro like you would wrap them around something or maybe store something with thme. I have 2010 Q5sf. Even the dealer didnt know what they were for. Any ideas?

MelodyBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Engine compartment straps

I believe they are for your trolling motor as on my Q5SF they are not yellow but black and say Motorguide Wireless on them. If you don't want your trolling motor mounted to the bow all of the time you can store it in there.

Cheers.

ilovepe

Recruit

I just bought the Q7sf and they are for the trolling motor. My dealer did not recommend using them. Hope this helps.

SAlexander

Cadet

I have always stored my trolling motor with those straps, thats what I was told to do by my dealer (for whats thats worth). I have had no issues using them, kind of a PITA to get the trolling motor in the engine compartment anyways. They mounted the batteries on each side of the engine so I can't even store my fishing chairs in there like they advertise must be a weight distribution thing.

seaboy85

Cadet

Dealer told me to use them for carrying the trolling motor while pulling the boat only. Advised not to store the trolling motor there while the boat motor is running though.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

Makes sense to me not to store it there. Besides the Velcro wearing out, the troll motor can fall onto the motor causing extensive damage and risk being stranded. I keep my troll motor in the ski locker.