Tahoe Q6 SF Nauticus Smart Tabs SX Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhendersonm

Cadet
Nauticus Smart Tabs SX install on my 2005 Tahoe Q6 SF, 190 Mercruiser IO.
Special thanks to "mccownk" install post here on the forum for all his insight and expertise and install instructions for the Tahoe Q6. Here's his link to his install:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=360754&highlight=Tahoe+Q6

Just a note or two about this. If you have questions, be sure to call Nauticus before trying your install but more so ask someone on the forum that has done this first hand.

For instance, Nauticus sent me a special fitting for my install because on the Tahoe Q6 you are installing on two different surfaces. However, they told me to replace the top fitting with the special fitting but it really has to be installed on the bottom due to the fitting and the amount of force that will be applied once the boat is in the water.

I used 3M 5200 Marine Sealant Fast Cure to fill the drilled holes prior to screwing down the plates. It cures in 24 hours and is only $7.99 for a 3 ounce tube at Home Depot. At the boat dealer you may pay double!! So make a trip to Home Depot first.

Another is even though my boat is just over 20 feet 6 inches, I went with the 60 lb actuators instead of the 80 lb actuators because some one had tried the 80's and their boat plowed through the water. Nauticus sent them 60lb replacements and they are smooth sailing.

Also I noticed that when you check your acutators for binding after you get them installed that you do have to apply a good amount of force to check for binding. This is a 60 lb actuator that you are moving.

So as you read through this, I believe I got some really good tips on this forum and again thanks to all that gave input.

Here's my pics.

Attachments

• Misc Pics1 026.jpg
    Misc Pics1 026.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Misc Pics1 024.jpg
    Misc Pics1 024.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Misc Pics1 023.jpg
    Misc Pics1 023.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Misc Pics1 025.jpg
    Misc Pics1 025.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 30

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tahoe Q6 SF Nauticus Smart Tabs SX Install

Subscribed!

Looks great, now put her in the water and tell us how it works out! I hope to hear positive results.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good job. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee it. I like the diamond plating on your trailer step BTW. Look forward to hearing how they work for you.

CaptBrad

Recruit

Thanks for the pics...

I'mm curious about the position of your sonar transducer (my Q6 has a shoot thru hull transducer that seems very poor). I have purchased a new Lowrance with a skimmer transducer similar to yours, but they warn you to 'keep it out of bubbles' at higher speeds. Have you had any concerns with your Lowrance reception?

Thank You!!

dhendersonm

Cadet

Works perfect. Just ensure the bottom of the transducer is flush with the bottom of the transom. You can use anything to align this. I'll give some feedback on how this works with the Smart Tabs installed once I get the boat in the water. And that will be within the next few days providing the weather stays good.

dhendersonm

Cadet

Took my Q6 out for the first time since installing the Smart Tabs. Florida weather has hindered going to the lake. It's rained everyday but today the weather is holding off. Breeze at lake created just under a foot chop so it wasn't smooth as glass out there by no means.

Got the boat in the water and just backing off the dock I noticed I had better control right off the bat. With just me and my wife on board my hole shot was awesome! Fully trimmed time on plane was just a few seconds. The bow came right down and we were off. The control is totally different now. I;m absolutely impressed. I didn't open her up with the chop but at 35 mph we glided right over as before we would have been hitting pretty hard. My wife even commented it seems like we are in a different boat. So to really test the tabs we went down a canal a 1/2 mile long to a smaller connecting lake. Almost all the walking on the front end was gone and didn't need to oversteer at all. Coming back to the big lake I got the same results.

Thanks to all in the forums for suggesting Smart Tabs! It's the best 100 bucks I've spent on this boat yet!!

2005 Tahoe Q6 SF
190 Mercruiser I/O
21P Aluminum Prop
Lowrance 332C Fishfinder Combo
60 lb Nauticus SX Series Smart Tabs
2007 Ford F150

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 2

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nauticus sent me a special fitting for my install because on the Tahoe Q6 you are installing on two different surfaces. However, they told me to replace the top fitting with the special fitting but it really has to be installed on the bottom due to the fitting and the amount of force that will be applied once the boat is in the water.

dhendersonm, can you point out that fitting you speak of on the pics, I would like a bit clearer explaination. Thx.

dhendersonm

Cadet

The fitting is on the actuator itself. McCown has a good picture of that.

Boris The Blade

Recruit
After many months I have decided to install the tabs. I had the tabs sitting in the garage all winter... I finally got the courage to drill in my boat (this is my first boat)... I was stressed out, but after many times reading the forums and watching the videos I got it done today. I did get the special fitting for the Tahoe boats from Nauticus. I used black oxide dewalt drill bit and the 5200 sealant. After measuring and "dry" fitting 3 times I made the first hole, after the first one it was easy. No that much fear :). We will not have a "boat" weather for 2 more weeks, cant wait for the test drive.
Thank you for all the detail info in the prior posts.

Attachments

• photo286153.jpg
    photo286153.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • photo286154.jpg
    photo286154.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • photo286155.jpg
    photo286155.jpg
    949.3 KB · Views: 15
  • photo286156.jpg
    photo286156.jpg