Smart tabs install on Q6

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is the install of the 60lb smart tabs on my Q6.

I started by doing a rough fit. I assembled the tabs and then located the best spot for them, making sure they would clear the swim ladder and the location of the top piston mount was adequate. Here is the measurements I came up with.

I located the tab mount 2 inches in from the apex of the outer chine. This resulted in a 5 inch total from the outside edge of the boat. The bottom of the mount was measured 1/2 inch up from the bottom of the hull. I used a carpenters square to double check all of the measurements.

attachment.php

After securing the mount using blue masking tape. I drilled the holes using a 7/32 drill bit. I left the mount taped to the transom and used it as a guide. The holes do go all the way through the transom. These holes will be filled with the 3M 4200 or 3M 5200 sealant adhesive (not supplied with the tabs)

attachment.php

After drilling the holes and filling them with the sealant, I secured the bracket with the supplied screws.

attachment.php

I then attached the tab using the long plastic bolts and nuts provided. You will have to hold the nut on the inside before inserting the bolt all the way through, otherwise you will have to back the bolt out slightly to get the nut onto the end. Just let the tab hang freely, this will be the correct angle for the tabs.

attachment.php

Here is the gas shock with the special fitting for the Tahoe. The same day I ordered the tabs, I called Nauticus and told them the make and model of the boat. They sent the fittings out that day (no charge) and they arrived a day before the smart tabs. The special fitting is the one on the bottom of the shock. The standard fitting will bind and break if not replaced. This picture shows the bottom fitting with the bolt and nut inserted and the top standard fitting with the top bracket attached. I used the supplied bolt and nut instead of the supplied pin for the top bracket. You can use either one but the bolt and nut looked to be stronger to me.

attachment.php

Continued on next post.....

Attachments

• 100_0418.jpg
    100_0418.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_0406.jpg
    100_0406.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0408.jpg
    100_0408.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0409.jpg
    100_0409.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_0410.jpg
    100_0410.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 12

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Smart tabs install on Q6

After bolting the shock to the tab (hand tight only) and letting the tab hang, I located the natural mounting location for the top bracket. I double checked to make sure the shock was at a 90 degree angle to the tab (not 90 degrees to the floor). The tab is angled the same angle as the bottom of the hull. This is a side view

attachment.php

I again left the bracket taped to the boat and drilled the holes for the top mount. I had to drill the first hole and then remove the nut and back the bolt out slightly to drill the second hole. Then I removed the top bracket, filled the holes with sealant and mounted the top bracket with the supplied screws. I then attached the shock and tightened the plastic nuts and bolts.

attachment.php

Here is the top bracket with the bolt slightly removed to drill the second hole.

attachment.php

Here is the mounted tab with the swim ladder down, There is plenty of clearance.

attachment.php

Here is the final result. I manually lifted the tabs to make sure they did not bind. They raise and lower with no problem. I mounted them with the shocks in the middle hole (as recommended by Nauticus) to allow for adjustment for more or less pressure.

attachment.php

Just do the mirror image install on the other side. Good luck.

Attachments

• 100_0413.jpg
    100_0413.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_0414.jpg
    100_0414.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_0415.jpg
    100_0415.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_0416.jpg
    100_0416.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_0417.jpg
    100_0417.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 7

splicer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I've been wanting to do this to my '08 Q6.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the boat out today for the first time after installing the smart tabs. All the stories about how much they improve the handling of the Tahoe's are correct. With myself and my teenage son and a full tank of gas there was virtually no bow rise coming out of the hole. The boat was very quick out of the hole and with the stock 19p alum prop hit 50 mph at WOT at around 4800 rpm. This was on my GPS as the stock speedometer reads slower. I could cruise on plane at a lower speed also at around 2800 rpm at 28 to 29 mph depending on how I trimmed the motor. The boat had a problem with the stern digging in when making sharp turns, this is no longer an issue, the boat now slides through the water nicely. IMO it is a very worthwhile and inexpensive addition. Thanks and good luck.

etransfer

Seaman

I had the boat out today for the first time after installing the smart tabs. All the stories about how much they improve the handling of the Tahoe's are correct. With myself and my teenage son and a full tank of gas there was virtually no bow rise coming out of the hole. The boat was very quick out of the hole and with the stock 19p alum prop hit 50 mph at WOT at around 4800 rpm. This was on my GPS as the stock speedometer reads slower. I could cruise on plane at a lower speed also at around 2800 rpm at 28 to 29 mph depending on how I trimmed the motor. The boat had a problem with the stern digging in when making sharp turns, this is no longer an issue, the boat now slides through the water nicely. IMO it is a very worthwhile and inexpensive addition. Thanks and good luck.

Now buy a 19" Hustler prop and you'll be all set !

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

FYI... I saw where some people were sceptical of the top speed on your Tahoe. I had the boat out this Christmas eve and there were hardly any other boats on the water. I took advantage and ran it WOT on water almost like glass. This time with my son and his friend and myself in the boat. Top speed 60.2 MPH on the GPS. The last time I had the bimini top up. I've got your back Etransfer!

etransfer

Seaman

FYI... I saw where some people were sceptical of the top speed on your Tahoe. I had the boat out this Christmas eve and there were hardly any other boats on the water. I took advantage and ran it WOT on water almost like glass. This time with my son and his friend and myself in the boat. Top speed 60.2 MPH on the GPS. The last time I had the bimini top up. I've got your back Etransfer!

I only broke 60 MPH with a hustler 21" prop and the closest I can get
with a 19" or 20" is 58 MPH.

Last year I left a 20" enertia on all season and never put the hustler on
one time.

I put on about 24 hours last year and mostly just took it easy. I did run all summer without a single issue and the Q8 ran perfect.

I guess the breakin period is just that and you have to give you and the boat 30 hours to get settled in ?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Seems like you did a good job of the install. I have put two pairs of them on previous boats and they make a world of difference.
Both those boats were underpowered and the Nauticus tabs really helped them up on plane. Looks like they help your rig big time!

bfree84

Recruit

After bolting the shock to the tab (hand tight only) and letting the tab hang, I located the natural mounting location for the top bracket. I double checked to make sure the shock was at a 90 degree angle to the tab (not 90 degrees to the floor). The tab is angled the same angle as the bottom of the hull. This is a side view

attachment.php

I again left the bracket taped to the boat and drilled the holes for the top mount. I had to drill the first hole and then remove the nut and back the bolt out slightly to drill the second hole. Then I removed the top bracket, filled the holes with sealant and mounted the top bracket with the supplied screws. I then attached the shock and tightened the plastic nuts and bolts.

attachment.php

Here is the top bracket with the bolt slightly removed to drill the second hole.

attachment.php

Here is the mounted tab with the swim ladder down, There is plenty of clearance.

attachment.php

Here is the final result. I manually lifted the tabs to make sure they did not bind. They raise and lower with no problem. I mounted them with the shocks in the middle hole (as recommended by Nauticus) to allow for adjustment for more or less pressure.

attachment.php

Just do the mirror image install on the other side. Good luck.
Is there enough room for the actuator to fit in all the adjustment holes without rubbing and binding against the boat? I didn't know you could install the smart tabs on 2 different surfaces since the Nauticus website didn't recommend it. I have a 2006 Q4 and want try the smart tabs.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you mount the actuator, you have it attached to the center hole and then attach it to the transom. This way you can adjust the angle of the tab by using the outer holes or increase the pressure by using the inner holes. The actuator will not bind, due to the design of the special end that you need to get from Nauticus. When you call to order the end piece, tell them the make and model just to be sure you get the right one. They will send it out to you at no extra charge. I cannot tell you just how much this has improved the speed and handling of my Tahoe. It is like a different boat. Good Luck.

dhendersonm

Cadet

Perfect. Ordered today. Cant wait to get them on. I'll post pics when complete.

2005 Q6 SF
190 Mercruiser IO

dhendersonm

Cadet

Installed today. See my post on my installation. Thanks for all your insight and expertise!

Dwain

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was told that on my Q7 5.7l, that I would need the 80lb ones. More power, and bigger boat. Lots of weight in the rear end with that V8 too.

no worry's

Cadet

just asking because I just talked to the mechanic where my boat is and he said that 60 pounds wasnt that much resistance. But then I read that some one put the 80 on there's and it was to much, so they went back to the 60. Just trying to get as many opinions as posible bfore I start drilling holes in my brand new boat. Thanx. If anybody else has installed them allready please let me know. I would like to get it right the first time around. 2010 Q7fs 5.0 V8 MPI. Thanx again

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anything is possible, but according to the manufacturer, Nauticus, and I called them to make sure, you need 80s. You have a larger boat, and a V8. They even told me that my father needed the 80s for his Tahoe 215 with the V6 due to its size. I was a bit skeptical of that with the V6 so I have not bought mine yet. If his are too big, I will take them and put them on mine and get him 60s. I am sure a Q7 with a V8 is gonna need all the 80s have to offer.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's my understanding that the Q6 and Q7 are the same length hull. The weight difference between the V6 and V8 would be negligable. Go with the 60lb tabs. Nauticus recommended the 80 lb tabs for the Q6 as well. The 60lb tabs work perfect on my 06 Q6. Remember that the swim platform is included in the hull length measurement. If you actually measure the hull length, I believe that the 60 lb tabs would be the correct choice.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's my understanding that the Q6 and Q7 are the same length hull. The weight difference between the V6 and V8 would be negligable. Go with the 60lb tabs. Nauticus recommended the 80 lb tabs for the Q6 as well. The 60lb tabs work perfect on my 06 Q6. Remember that the swim platform is included in the hull length measurement. If you actually measure the hull length, I believe that the 60 lb tabs would be the correct choice.

I am not that familiar with the Q6 being the same size as a Q7, this could be. However, I wouldn't call 150lbs negligible. The guy at Nauticus also told me that it wasn't just the weight and length but the power of the V8. The 4.3 weighs in at about 425lbs and a small block weighs in at about 575lbs. Then a differance of about 40hp from the V6 to the 5.0 MPI. Might make the differance.

I am by no means an expert, but the rep at Nauticus gave me this info. I am simply relaying that info.