tahoe Q6 Stereo and speakers

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all, I`ve just purchase a used tahoe 06 Q6 and love it. I purchased from a dealer and I`m sure the stereo was taken out by the original owner cause it`s a very cheap one. I`d like to replace it first and see how my speakers operate. I`m surprised this size boat only came with 2 speakers. Has anyone upgraded to 4 and or replaced the stock stereo yet? Any recommedations?

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tahoe Q6 Stereo and speakers

My 06 Q6 S/F....original radio was cheap and broke. Dealer upgraded to a better Jensen radio. I did install 2 front speakers, Jensen 6 1/2" marine speakers. Cost about $60 a pair (which sound better than the ones the boat came with). Used a jigsaw with a 32 TPI blade (for very fine metal; so wouldn't chip fiberglass) mounted them directly below the front handles. Used masking tape to cover the entire area so saw would not scratch boat surface; a cereal box to cut out the template circle, traced circle where wanted the speakers, drilled a pilot hole for the saw blade, then cut hole. very dusty with fiberglass; friend held shopvac while cutting. used weathestrip around back of speaker to fill slight gap due to not a true flat surface.....results are a very nice upgrade! good luck.

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the response. Thats where I was thinking of putting 2 new speakers also. I may also replace the 2 original speakers at the same time. Thanks

lhnks

Recruit

tahoejag. I have a 2006 Q6. You put your speakers under the front handles. I want to do the same. Do your remember what the model # is for the speakers you used? How did you run the wires. Thanks

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just replaced the factory Audiotronics speakers on my Q4 with a pair of Infinity 6912M marine speakers, wow, what a difference. I could easily hear an improvement, much richer and a deeper sound. Mates well with the Infinity speakers on my tower, too.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

tahoejag. I have a 2006 Q6. You put your speakers under the front handles. I want to do the same. Do your remember what the model # is for the speakers you used? How did you run the wires. Thanks

Sorry don't hav model #. They were purchased at bass pro. I ran the wires to the port side, I used one of them flexible tools that have the claws at one end (for retrieving things after u drop them hard to reach area). Hooked the speaker wire to it and fed it around the front to the port side and ran both wires to back of radio. Hope this helps...havent got boat out yet, but can send u a few pics of the install.

splicer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So you drilled the hole for the speaker, then shoved the wire around the behind the deck in the bow to the other side? Interesting approach! I've been wanting to add bow speakers to mine for a while.

das601

Cadet

Has anyone added front speakers on the Q5? Just want to make sure there is room under the handles before I cut holes. I would assume it would be the same as the Q6...but we all know what happens when we assume!

jbfroust

Cadet

I added mine in the console as you walk thur the windsheild, that way when you lean back in the front seats they are right there, great sond and they dont get wet in rough water.you can see them in the back ground

splicer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just (today) added a 10" sub to mine. It's in the footwell under the stereo. I added a group 27 deep cycle battery that the amp is running off of. Eventually I'll move the head unit to that battery as well, so it's completely isolated from the cranking battery. I'm also waiting on a BlueSea Battery Switch and ACR to come in on Thursday so that both batteries will charge, but be on different systems.

The sub made it sound awesome. It's just a Sony Xplod from Walmart made for a car, with a car box, and a car amp. I know they'll eventually tear up, being in a moist environment, but they weren't doing any good sitting in the garage either. As they fail, I'll replace them.

I'm also going to add speakers to the front. For now, a pair of pioneer 6.5s that I bought for my old truck. When they break, I'll probably go WetSounds.

I promised my wife it would only cost $100, but I'm closer to $500 with the new battery and switch, and box.

taskforcefreddy

Recruit

Hello all... great thread as I've been looking to upgrade the complete system on my Q6. I have a little experience installing stereos on boats professionally and a technique we used to do was apply a thin film of Turtle Wax to the cone and surround of a pair of regular car speakers to protect them from the elements. This was back in the early 90's and the materials used now are much better with poly cones and rubber surrounds that make them much more resilient to the elements.

Would love to see some pics of everyone's set-up. I'm looking to add a few speakers along with an upgraded head unit, an amplifier and possibly a sub and am looking for ideas to steal :).

dhendersonm

Cadet

2005 Q6 SF. Sony Marine CD-FM50M with wired and wireless remote. 4 Dual Marine 6 1/2 Speakers front and back. Just installed a Sony 10" sub in wall on walk through. MTX Marine sub in engine compartment to power the sub. Sounds awesome!!

Attachments

• Boat sub.jpg
    Boat sub.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 11

cajun_rig

Cadet

Anyone else with a factory 2 speaker Q6 upgraded to 4 speaker system. I have the factory Jensen in my boat and am not sure where would be the best place to mount these speakers or if the unit will be able to handle a good sound with 4 speaker setup. Any ideas or pics would be appreciated.

Mordekai

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would you guys mind posting a picture on how you guys ran the wires for the speakers?
Is it under the floor or loop around the bow?

Thanks

yourboatmyboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

One must take care in cutting the speaker holes in the bow area. The harness for the bow light and the radio run from starboard to port in this area. Below the handles you should be safe. The ski/fish trolling motor harness could fe a factor on the port side, Drill slow and easyThe Q4 and Q5 will be as per the Q6

basamx

Recruit

How does you sub do in that area, do you get a lot of raddle? I'm thinking of putting a bass tube on my Q6 on the right side of the engine, along with another battery and an amp near the head unit.

2005 Q6 SF. Sony Marine CD-FM50M with wired and wireless remote. 4 Dual Marine 6 1/2 Speakers front and back. Just installed a Sony 10" sub in wall on walk through. MTX Marine sub in engine compartment to power the sub. Sounds awesome!!

maddog2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wanted to let you guys know I installed a set of kicker 600M`s on my boat this week and they sound awsome . Plenty of bass and alot of clarity throughout all ranges. I can`t wait to mount 2 more in the front.

dhendersonm

Cadet

How does you sub do in that area, do you get a lot of raddle? I'm thinking of putting a bass tube on my Q6 on the right side of the engine, along with another battery and an amp near the head unit.

Sorry havent been on here in a while. Sounds awesome! Deep Bass! No rattle. The walk thu is where a lot of manufacturers are adding their sub of choice.

thechad69

Cadet
sorry, this is really old thread, but I was wondering what size the orginal speakers were in the q6 in the rear. bought new ones from bass pro but the are a bit too big and dont fit in the mounting hole.

Tahoe_Travis

Recruit
I see this is an old thread also, but I'd like to see some pictures of everyone's installs. The thread doesn't seem to show any pictures - could it be because it's old? I would like to mount speakers up front and I'm trying to understand how they were mounted under the handles up front. Pictures would be great.