2005 Tahoe Q6 Smart Tabs

onthehunt49

Cadet
Installed 80 lb(correct per chart) smart tabs on my 2005 Tahoe Q6 5.0 engine. Set at factory #3 hole setting. Seemed to help low speed wandering. I could not trim at all before in choppy water without porpoising .. Now i can only trim little with out porpoising on small waves and still reel rough in choppy water or going over boat wakes.. Would adjustment help or should they have been 60 lb model.

Last edited by a moderator:

alldodge

Staff member
"Smart" tabs are miss named, should be called dumb a$$ tabs IMO, others differ.

I think your trim cylinders have limiters installed which is causing the issue. There should be no porpoising prior. Tabs create drag and push the bow down, but never reduce drag.

Tim in TN

Seaman
I have a 2006 Tahoe Q6 and originally had the same problems. Installed Smart Tabs and porpoising is nearly eliminated unless I've got 6 or 8 adults in the boat. I still have a lot of slow speed wandering but I can live with that. Sorry but I don't remember what size tabs I installed.

Call the folks at Nauticus. Their customer service is fantastic and I'm sure they can give you some direction.I believe WHERE the tabs are installed also matters.

Hope this helps.

onthehunt49

Cadet
I have a 2006 Tahoe Q6 and originally had the same problems. Installed Smart Tabs and porpoising is nearly eliminated unless I've got 6 or 8 adults in the boat. I still have a lot of slow speed wandering but I can live with that. Sorry but I don't remember what size tabs I installed.

Call the folks at Nauticus. Their customer service is fantastic and I'm sure they can give you some direction.I believe WHERE the tabs are installed also matters.

Hope this helps.

what setting do you have them at? did it improve immediately ?
mine are in center hole ?

i would assume bass pro would know where to install them .. I hope :)

alldodge

Staff member
mine are in center hole ?

i would assume bass pro would know where to install them .. I hope :)

Every boat is different. Have two boats of the same size and type and depending on who its loaded and rig will react a bit different then another. Basspro like all other installers would place it in the middle. Now you have to decide if it needs more or less

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
email Greg Schreiber at naticus. Greg at nauticusinc dot com He recommended 60 lb tabs for my Q6. I am very happy with their performance.