Looking at an 05 Q6 SF...any particular things to check

DC Neck

Cadet
Hey all. Just joined and asking for some advice. I'm looking at a 2005 Q6SF this Sunday. Seller says the 4.3 engine is brand new, new seats, exterior looks clean, interior looks good for 11 yr old boat. Trailer looks good in the pics.

I've owned a Hydrasports and a Triton in the past. Both were single console bass boats with a Mariner 90 and a Mercury 200. We're getting back into boating after a 10 yr absence. This will be our first runabout.

I've looked through a lot of the posts already, but is there anything in particular I should check first that the Tahoe's are known for? These boats seem pretty sturdy.

I'm already planning on a compression check on the engine, but if it's truly brand new, that should check out. I'll check all the electrical, trim, and controls. Hopefully we can get it in the water for a bit to see if it drains any water after a run. He wants $10,950 for it.

The add if you're curious..just remember, I saw it first..:) http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/5681569921.html

Thanks in advance. Maybe one of my happiest days will be Sunday when I buy it.

Bonus Check

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is suppose to be sun deck cushion over the Back deck where the fishing seat is inserted. It is also suppose to have a trolling motor with mount on the bow. it should run about 42 MPH at around 5000 rpms. chevk trim switch to see if it works properly.

DC Neck

Cadet
So it's a done deal! Happiest day #1 for me. Engine is brand new with a 2 yr warranty. All electronics work. Live well pump wasn't working but I discovered a blown fuse was the problem. Stereo needs to be replaced. It needs a good cleaning but visually it's almost perfect, esp for an 11 yr old. Without the trolling motor and the rear deck cushion, I got it for $10K.

I understand the handling posts now after a 1 hr test drive. First stop for me when I pick it up is going to be BPS for a cover and Smart tabs. It planes good but feels 'drifty' when underway.

openingshok

Recruit
Congrats DC. I just purchased the exact same model and year as yours. I installed smart tabs last weekend and it's a whole new boat. You won't regret it. I have seen posts on here saying to use the 60# tabs, but I am a firm believer that the manufacturer knows what they are talking about so I installed the 80# tabs on the farthest out mounting hole. The hole shot sees almost no bow rise.
Ours too was missing the sun pad. If you find a good replacement I would love to get the info.
Just out of curiosity what happened that this boat needed a brand new engine?

jkust

Rear Admiral
So the link was not working since you bought it and couldn't see it. Is the engine carbed or MPI? These are popular in some circles because they have a fishing heritage about them and you get a lot in a budget boat. I've always like the look of the Tahoes and oddly enough, I tend to see them with MPI versus carbs a lot given the big upcharge for MPI versus the total cost when new.

DC Neck

Cadet
Link is dead since he pulled it from craigslist.

The brand new engine is an MPI. Still isn't even broken in. The seller's father in law let the boat sit outside without winterizing the engine 2 yrs ago. Ice cracked the block. Saw the receipt from Feb 2016...$3980 repair. Ouch!! A $10 jug of antifreeze and mixed 50% with water run through the water intake would have saved it.

Probably just have a deck cushion made for it. Hard to find and when you can, they're $600.

Thanks for the tip on the 80 lb tabs. It's a heavy boat, so 80 is probably right on.

Last edited:

DC Neck

Cadet
Spent 5 hrs cleaning it on Saturday and 6 hrs on the water Sunday. BPS in Richmond was out of Smart Tabs so those will have to wait.

Need to get the livewell pump replaced and find a trolling motor mount, which from all the posts I've read, can be a pain. I still can't figure out how a plate will mount to the two hockey pucks on the front. Both of them just have rubber plugs covering a hole.

First day glitch...the Bussman breaker to the accessories went bad. It was pretty rusty. I had to fix it on the water, so I just wired it strait to the battery for the time being.

The bilge pump was pretty busy, but that could have been from all the in and out of the boat with tubers and wet jackets.

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just put the tabs on my 04 Q4 FS (4.3 carbed) - as everyone says, best investment you can make. So far I'm at the 4th hole with 60# shocks, running a 4 blade 18P Vortech prop. Only tops out around 35mph but I do alot of kid pulling. Just ordered a 4 blade 20P should be here today - will try it out his weekend. Factory 23P 3 blade runs just under 50mph at 4400rpm on glass water but terrible hole shot even with no pulling and minimal weight in the boat. Too hard on the engine and drive in my opinion no matter what you're doing. I have the same "hockey puck" trolling motor mounts - the plate will have a T shaped tab on the bottom that goes in the front puck with the plate sticking out about 90 degrees. Then spin the plate to lock the front in and there is then a big knurled bolt to thread into the back puck. Pretty easy system. Good luck finding the plate

jkust

Rear Admiral
Spent 5 hrs cleaning it on Saturday and 6 hrs on the water Sunday. BPS in Richmond was out of Smart Tabs so those will have to wait.

Need to get the livewell pump replaced and find a trolling motor mount, which from all the posts I've read, can be a pain. I still can't figure out how a plate will mount to the two hockey pucks on the front. Both of them just have rubber plugs covering a hole.

First day glitch...the Bussman breaker to the accessories went bad. It was pretty rusty. I had to fix it on the water, so I just wired it strait to the battery for the time being.

The bilge pump was pretty busy, but that could have been from all the in and out of the boat with tubers and wet jackets.
Check on that bilge pump situation....would be an enormous amount of water from life jackets and dripping off to kick the float switch on.
That price to replace the engine sounds low to me if it was a brand new crate engine...under 4k with labor is an absolute steal. As for the 80lb actuators, a 21 foot loa at a dry weight of 2800lbs is a light boat not a heavy boat which is what you expect from a fish and ski. Sounds like you got yourself a decent rig.

DC Neck

Cadet
I posted a question on the trolling motor mount in the General boating forum. Any help would be appreciated.