Engine compartment storage?

HeavyDinKC

Cadet
Hi... First post, long time reader (purchased first boat July 2015).

Have a 2011 Tahoe Q5i. Love it for our little family for weekend outings. There is a great deal of open space to the port side of the motor (4.3L TKS).

Can I store tools and other back up/emergency type items? I was contemplating a 'Rubbermaid' type tote and securing it to the base with velcro or something. Is this ok? Or are there better options for storage in here?

Any input is appreciated... Love the input I've learned from just reading so far.

MI_Pirate

Seaman Apprentice
You can, but be super smart about it. Do not put anything that can explode or can provide fuel to a fire down there. No gas cans, propane cylinders, flares, spray paints, etc.. Make certain that everything stays battened down in place. The last thing you want is junk flying around in your ER.

If you are going to put something like a tote down there, screw it to the floor, velcro may come loose in heavy seas. If it were me, I would drop a piece of 1/4" - 3/8" sheet stock like plywood or starboard in the bottom and screw through it to prevent the fasteners from pulling through the plastic. You might be able to get the same effect with some large washers.